Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Film Film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Tactical wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm struggling to get more than two ROLLS from a store

:eek:

Go back and point out to them that it will be completely useless to them in 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i just went in and said 'i heard that every unicare is giving away free film' and the guy said 'how about 2 boxes?'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Try Nutgrove. The skinny young man behind the film counter there is really quite nice and they had several boxes last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That castle gave me an idea.

Let's see who can build the most elaborate structure from their free film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I think HK wins, he bilt a couch. A COUCH!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That castle gave me an idea.

Let's see who can build the most elaborate structure from their free film.

They only gave me 10 rolls, I could probably just make a bracelet.

Tallon wrote: »
    I think HK wins, he bilt a couch. A COUCH!

That guy has WAY too much film/time. :D:P

Of course, he also puts it to some amazing use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

humberklog wrote: »
    The because The Peoples Republic is still in rationing mode since the emergency.

Tell'm to cop on, sure you'll be back to give them the business. Their money's in developing film not selling. Daft meely mouthed backwardness. Throw a few shapes into the local Irish Permanent while you're at it.

Ah sure I'll try another store or two.

I have a friend who shoots film only and he'll try for a roll or two for himself also.

Anyways, developing is relatively expensive so perhaps its for the best:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tactical wrote: »

Anyways, developing is relatively expensive so perhaps its for the best:D

You can get 5 rolls developed onto one cd for 15 quid. That's not too bad.

The dog going on its ear was the funniest use yet but the chair was quality. I'm down to about 3 hundred now as I've given loads away. I saw the stuff on sale in a charity shop yesterday for 2.50 a roll, cheeky monkies. Mind you I kept stum as I'm trying to get them to reduce a Pentax k1000 (with one of those lovely clear 50mm lenses) down from 30 to 20.

• Advertisement

Not too bad a price indeed :)

You should get the "charity" shop to "throw in" the entire stock of that film with the camera ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I got 50 rolls today of unicare, delighted!!!!

anyway its fujicolour 200, is that the same a superia 200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

You can get 5 rolls developed onto one cd for 15 quid. That's not too bad.

The dog going on its ear was the funniest use yet but the chair was quality. I'm down to about 3 hundred now as I've given loads away. I saw the stuff on sale in a charity shop yesterday for 2.50 a roll, cheeky monkies. Mind you I kept stum as I'm trying to get them to reduce a Pentax k1000 (with one of those lovely clear 50mm lenses) down from 30 to 20.

why haggle with a charity shop?? its already pretty darn cheap at 30euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Another task/trick is to ask friends or neighbours as they may have some lying around. I asked a neighbour recently, and she gave me more than I had hoped for, ahem, film rolls that is :pac::D, she gave me 9 rolls at first and she has given me 5 more ! so I'm all stocked up ! :p just saving up now to 'develop' them, then the COST really hits you ! :eek:
    I got 4 rolls developed, and four 8*10 digital prints, and I asked her sheepishly 'how much there missus?', and the reply was '........' wait for it...... '........€60' ....... 'Sir.........' as she looks over the counter to see me stretched out on the ground '....are you OK?'

You can get 5 rolls developed onto one cd for 15 quid
    Q. At what resolution are the prints at ?

Q. At what resolution are the prints at ?
    I believe that is with no prints. Just the cd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

what about getting them developed only, no cd?

id like to get 5 rolls developed at a time for as cheap as possible. I can scan them myself

The place that would only give me 2 rolls was quoting €8.99 for 24 exp to 6 x 4 prints.

I thought the 5 rolls onto a CD for €15 was a great price and it'd certainly encourage me to get out and about again with the 35mm camera.

Will definately be trying another store or two tomorrow and let every one know what can be got and where.

I believe that is with no prints. Just the cd.
    Ooops, i mean at what resolution are the prints/photos on the CD ?
    /me being a total noob at developing/scanning/film in general ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Thanks to Tallon, I popped into Blanch on the way back to the office and got 24 rolls. :D

The girl said she'd have to order in more.

@Fajitas - don't know how big a castle I'll make with just 24 rolls, but we'll wait and see. .....

Thanks to Tallon, I popped into Blanch on the way back to the office and got 24 rolls. :D

The girl said she'd have to order in more.

@Fajitas - don't know how big a castle I'll make with just 24 rolls, but we'll wait and see. .....

Oh sh!t, are we supposed to be taking pictures or building castles?

*I'm gonna need a moat

• Advertisement

Ooops, i mean at what resolution are the prints/photos on the CD ?
    /me being a total noob at developing/scanning/film in general ! :eek:

I don't know. I'll ask'm next week when I'm in.

He'll do that offer by post too and it'd be a pretty quick turn around.

I don't know. I'll ask'm next week when I'm in.
    ...thanks humberklog

As a noob, I'm just wondering what I've got to 'work' with, if I want to further process it in Photoshop or similar, ie. in digital parlance I've got a 10MP camera > 3648*2736 > 240 dpi > 10MB RAW file > then RAW editor > photoshop.

Just rang my local Unicare and was told its €7.99 to develop and print a roll of film, and the same price to get them on a CD :(

As a noob,

Same as, I wonder if when I stick a cd into the laptop is there somewhere to look for properties that could give me the info?

Ciaran500 just don't pay it. Try and get two different shops and play them off each other. This is what I did in the Artane Castle as there is a dedicated fuji booth directly opposite the chemist that does 5 rolls for 15. I felt a bit bad too as only a few weeks before hand I'd managed to wrangle 50 rolls of slide film (with the process paid) for a tenner off the girl in that shop and then a few weeks later set up the 15quid deal with the guy opposite. She gives me dirty looks now when I'm going in and out.
    Business is business.

Ciaran500 just don't pay it.

I definitely won't be, but would be nice to have somewhere local to get them done. I'll ring around more places tomorrow.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I definitely won't be, but would be nice to have somewhere local to get them done. I'll ring around more places tomorrow.
    Haggle with them and throw a few prices that you're willing to pay at them. Those booths have popped up everywhere and eveyone is scrabbling about for business. Buyers market.
    Have a few prices from shops and throw them at them and see what happens. If you don't get the price you're looking for then it really is daft business acumen on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Haggle with them and throw a few prices that you're willing to pay at them. Those booths have popped up everywhere and eveyone is scrabbling about for business. Buyers market.
    Have a few prices from shops and throw them at them and see what happens. If you don't get the price you're looking for then it really is daft business acumen on their part.

This advice is spot on. Also mention you have 40 or so rolls to develop over next few months, they like batches, so 5 or more at a time is better for them economically.

the deal at Artane Castle will be hard to beat. €3 per roll to CD, why worry about the scanning resolution ..if you have a pulitzer winning shot you just get the neg scanned somewhere at the highest resolution which in my book is "feck off, paint the house & mow the lawn and trim your nose hair then come back to find it is 30% complete so go off read War & Peace and come back to find it is 60% complete so go off and tidy the attic find old videos and spend an hour trying to do the moves in a Jane Fonda Workout video you found, put your back out, go to chemist for deep heat, limp home and find 98% complete, sigh with relief go make a cup of tea then decide to write to the boards.ie about your scanning nightmare. Open internet explorer, open the photography page and then it freezes! blue screens and the last thing you saw was 99% complete at this time your despair is so deep you throw your computer across the room and take out the magnum 45 you brought back from a holiday in Florida ( honest mr customs officer it is just an imitation) and go to load it. you find it is loaded already ( damn kids playing with the gun again ..expect complaints from the neighbour that someone has been shooting holes in their washing again!). putting the gun in the back of your jeans because you see film stars do it that way, you yelp in pain as it grazes the skin where the top of your buttocks meet. Even angrier now you head off to PC World with the spotty face of the red polo shirted technician who sold you the scanner, firmly planted in your minds eye and the rest is ...as they say is history " resolution.

If you get this far please call me when you are in the car... I promise to be there and photographing it all ... you'll need the evidence as CCTV is crap resolution as for C&C on compositon of a security guards ability to frame a shot and achieve decent compostion ...don't even start me.

I enjoyed reading that last post, had a good giggle at it :)

if you have a pulitzer winning shot you just get the neg scanned somewhere at the highest resolution which in my book is "feck off, paint the house & mow the lawn and trim your nose hair then come back to find it is 30% complete so go off read War & Peace and come back to find it is 60% complete so go off and tidy the attic find old videos and spend an hour trying to do the moves in a Jane Fonda Workout video you found, put your back out, go to chemist for deep heat, limp home and find 98% complete, sigh with relief go make a cup of tea then decide to write to the boards.ie about your scanning nightmare. Open internet explorer, open the photography page and then it freezes! blue screens and the last thing you saw was 99% complete at this time your despair is so deep you throw your computer across the room and take out the magnum 45 you brought back from a holiday in Florida ( honest mr customs officer it is just an imitation) and go to load it. you find it is loaded already ( damn kids playing with the gun again ..expect complaints from the neighbour that someone has been shooting holes in their washing again!). putting the gun in the back of your jeans because you see film stars do it that way, you yelp in pain as it grazes the skin where the top of your buttocks meet. Even angrier now you head off to PC World with the spotty face of the red polo shirted technician who sold you the scanner, firmly planted in your minds eye and the rest is ...as they say is history " resolution.
    ....simply superlative Simplicius :p

but....
    why worry about the scanning resolution ..
    ....thats my questi.......<bang> = morrisseeeeeee dead :eek: :pac:

Can't find any decent deals on getting film developed around Lucan. Two pharmacies told me €8.99 and another said €11.99 and none of them seemed interested in giving deals on it.

Is there anywhere online that will develop them at a reasonable price?

EDIT: Scratch that, found out there is a fujifilm place up in Liffey Valley that will put them on CD for €4 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Stay away from that place!!! And I am more than serious :mad:

ThOnda wrote: »
    Stay away from that place!!! And I am more than serious :mad:

Did you find anywhere else to get them done at a similar price?

Ciaran that guy in Artane will do it by post so it would be as quick as doing it with an online company. Also if there is a problem that does come up he's only across town.

Ciaran that guy in Artane will do it by post so it would be as quick as doing it with an online company. Also if there is a problem that does come up he's only across town.

Ahh great, will have to give him a ring when I have 5 films and organise that with him so. He really sounds like he cares about the customers.

In the mean time I dropped a film I don't care about up to the photo booth in Liffey Valley, maybe he's cleaned his equipment in the last 2 years. Will post the results when I get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Ciaran. Unless they have new owner and staff, I would stay away from them. Cutting film strips in frames when using cutting machine and not just scissors? :eek:

I have invested in my time and some money to go to Shankill Fuji, that I found very very good. I have finished at price of a tenner per roll (development and high resolution scans).

http://pix.ie/ciaranj/album/349447

There are the all pictures straight off the CD. I can't see any dust (surprising considering the amount in my lens) and TBH I couldn't tell you if the negatives were cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You generally won't see dust if it's on the lens, it'll, at most, make the pictures a little bit softer :)

I've never had a problem getting my film developed in the valley. boots isn't nad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Do unicare still have film to give away??? I WANT some

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Do unicare still have film to give away??? I WANT some

Ring you local one, it will vary between stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I got 4 rolls done for 15 euro in the fuji shop in edenderry today, all on to cd.

Tell the bloke who works in there that padraic sent you if your interested in the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

I have pretty much the same question as Morisseeee, how high can the resolution be from a scan? I got my first cd back and the jpegs are 1840 x 1232 pixels. I'm a bit dissapointed as the lovely grain is lost to pixellation when I try to look close. Is this the norm? Totalnoob to film btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

can anyone recommend place for print and scans,
    scan quality is always so so, so really need to see prints [for self evaluation]

some where that does deals[dublin]? i think i have about 4 rolls to get processed/

Placebo Kate set up a deal over in Blachardstown Here
    Pretty sure she does some of the processing herself and I know she uses film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks man and thank for the free film :D

• Advertisement

NP :D
    Sorry I forgot to get that restaurant recommendation to ya. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Forgot to update - Unicare in Wicklow have free film. Got some the last day and have it stored in the freezer until I can get my hands on an old Canon SLR cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Just to update this...

Unicare clonmel don't do film as there store is too small.
    Unicare Dungarvan do still have film but they'll only give you 10 boxes per visit :( but she said they have plenty.

unicare in nutgrove shopping centre usually has film and are happy to hand out 100-300 rolls at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Brndn wrote: »
    I have pretty much the same question as Morisseeee, how high can the resolution be from a scan? I got my first cd back and the jpegs are 1840 x 1232 pixels. I'm a bit dissapointed as the lovely grain is lost to pixellation when I try to look close. Is this the norm? Totalnoob to film btw.

Got a roll developed in fujifilm place a month ago, was also 1840x1232, so that must be the standard size? no issues with the sharpness or quality of the scans really, can't imagine a higher res scan would give much extra detail? heres one of the scans http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/1147821/size/0/in/album/350634

• Advertisement
Advertisement