Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17,000 job cuts proposed... Does this sound like insanity to anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

irish_bob wrote: »
    modest ????????

thats what i said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

To take a hypothetical of exactly 450,000 people on the dole claiming the full amount each week, the bill is currently €92.25m weekly. If the 5% cut is imposed and 17,000 extra people added, the weekly cost would still be about €1m less or €61m over the course of the year ceteris paribus, on top of the savings on salaries of civil and public servants.

Of course in real life those figures don't compute because the number of people on the live register is constantly in flux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

ninty9er wrote: »
    To take a hypothetical of exactly 450,000 people on the dole claiming the full amount each week, the bill is currently €92.25m weekly. If the 5% cut is imposed and 17,000 extra people added, the weekly cost would still be about €1m less or €61m over the course of the year ceteris paribus, on top of the savings on salaries of civil and public servants.

Of course in real life those figures don't compute because the number of people on the live register is constantly in flux.

This doesn't take into account how reduced spending will affect the economy. More people will go up north, and more people will arbitarily "save up" what they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the main problem with that is that you assume that they will all be on the dole indefintilely, if you let say 50000 go , the vast majority of them will go straight to the dole but , but by making the tough descisions now we are giving our economy a chance to recover so that at some point in the future they are participating in the private sector and positively contributing to the nations ecomomic health. its essentially a small short term for the exchequor followed by a big long term gain and hopefully a puublic sector fit for purpose with terms and conditions that are fair to not only its employees but also to society as a whole,

i agree with your post , if the sacked surplus to requirement civil servants regain employment in the private sector , fantastic

This doesn't take into account how reduced spending will affect the economy. More people will go up north, and more people will arbitarily "save up" what they can.

so what your saying is civil servants dont shop up north

• Advertisement

itarumaa wrote: »
    Well, as a Finn who spend there around 27 years before coming to Ireland, nothing that just said is actually true.

50% rule is quite close here, so in Ireland you pay 50% less tax and you get 50% more money if you don't have a job.

If you are unemployed in Finland, you get 380e / month + 80% of the rent (to a limit)
    In here you get 816e / month and 100% of the rent (to a limit I think?)

If your salary is about 30 000 / year you pay 30% tax in Finland, in here I think I pay a bit over 10%

So where are those high taxes that Irish people pay? Accordingly to my understanding Ireland has one of the lowest tax in the whole Europe.

I am not 100% about the dole system in Ireland tough, because I have never used it, but I guess I am quite correct here.

irish public sector workers are much higher paid then thier counterparts in finland , teachers in ireland are paid 55% more than in finland , most of the money spent on the public sector goes on wages

Daragh101 wrote: »
    thats what i said!!

believe it , if ya like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

i agree with your post , if the sacked surplus to requirement civil servants regain employment in the private sector , fantastic

Public sector workers are already hated enough by the private sector, without taking their jobs too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

EF wrote: »
    Public sector workers are already hated enough by the private sector, without taking their jobs too ;)

They've also got horns on their heads, spiky tails and carry pitchforks. They're not living human beings with families and mortgages and worries like the rest of you you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EF wrote: »
    There are hardly any workers who just deal with post, answer the phone and photocopy and their take home pay is not much greater than that which would be available from social welfare!
    Their starting pay will still be €4000 more than those on minimum wage in the private sector... and most who start on minimum wage don't get wage increases, never mind yearly increases for just "being there".

• Advertisement

That won't be a problem after December's budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

believe it , if ya like

what do you mean its true................
    salary rises for teachers,nurses etc werent great in the good days if you take into account inflation etc... there the real loosers of all this .....the big proberty developers are still rich are they not....its not there money theve lost...IDIOT...prick:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

the_syco wrote: »
    Their starting pay will still be €4000 more than those on minimum wage in the private sector... and most who start on minimum wage don't get wage increases, never mind yearly increases for just "being there".

It's unlikely that an employer like that will retain their staff for very long if the employee has any ambition or a half decent cv. I worked in retail for 5 years and the pay was decent, especially with overtime, which isn't available to the majority of non-frontline staff in the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

rumour wrote: »
    You have not answered the question. Can you answer it?

What happens if our banks become insolvent,please set aside any opinion on how much bankers should get paid and answer or even consider at the very least, what happens if our banks become insolvent. There is no need to get involved in spin just think about it.

The article provided in the link merely suggests that the wrong strategy was chosen and that an alternative is available. It did not suggest 'let the banks go bankrupt'. It also suggests that not for all banks affected the same strategy should have been applied as some banks are more people/deposit oriented while others are business banks and the investment provided by them was risky by nature and why should we eliminate the risks in retrospect now that things have gone sour?
    It's just the usual bull of privatizing gains and socializing losses. We hardly would have got billions from same banks had they continued to make huge profits, but yet we're supposed to pick up the bill now that they didn't.

Sorry, but if the answer suggests that the poster didn't read the article , why is it up to me to bring more facts that are - most likely - not going to be read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

salary rises for teachers,nurses etc werent great in the good days if you take into account inflation etc... there the real loosers of all this .....the big proberty developers are still rich are they not....its not there money theve lost...IDIOT...prick:eek:
    The annual pay rises they get exclude inflation.
    They get inflation as well.

A teacher on pt 4 of the common basic scale in 2007, would have been getting E34,330 +4938+1238 (hons degrees), two years later on pt 6 they are getting E39,030+5177+1301.

E40,506 to E45,508, 10% in two years.

I call that a decent pay rise for doing exactly the same job.
    In these economic times, it's insanity.

(point 4 is one year qualified)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Good addition to the debate here , really brings home some of the absolute ridicilious stuff out of some people on this forum, a liitle part of me nearly wishes that that IMF would step in , to impose the nesscessary cuts over the heads of these me feiners.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/reform-is-not-a-bargaining-tool-its-an-imperative-for-survival-1829607.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Good addition to the debate here , really brings home some of the absolute ridicilious stuff out of some people on this forum, a liitle part of me nearly wishes that that IMF would step in , to impose the nesscessary cuts over the heads of these me feiners.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/reform-is-not-a-bargaining-tool-its-an-imperative-for-survival-1829607.html

I saw Brendan O'Connor's name on the byline, and that prepared me for what followed: another rant. I can come here to read rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

I saw Brendan O'Connor's name on the byline, and that prepared me for what followed: another rant. I can come here to read rants.

Never mind Brendan O'Connor, the independent is completely and utterly incapable of any balanced reporting on public sector issues. The establishment of NAMA has underlined the number one cause of our economic difficulties -- not public sector inefficiencies (yes this does need to be looked at) -- but the debt that has accrued from reckless lending to build, buy and sell houses cheered on by FF and the Irish media in general. The Indo has focused almost exclusively on P.S. reform to an almost hysterical level while downplaying the threat of NAMA (Indo reporting on NAMA vs Irish Times). Think about who the owners of Independent news and Media are and what their agenda might be?

your out of your mind if you think that , teachers and nurses in this country are the highest paid in europe , teachers are 55% better paid than in finland and nurses are more than 30% better paid than in the uk , both of those countries are richer than ireland , both of those proffesions here need at least a 15% pay cut on top of the levys introduced and dont get me started about the police here , their on redicolous wages

ChowChow wrote: »
    Never mind Brendan O'Connor, the independent is completely and utterly incapable of any balanced reporting on public sector issues. The establishment of NAMA has underlined the number one cause of our economic difficulties -- not public sector inefficiencies (yes this does need to be looked at) -- but the debt that has accrued from reckless lending to build, buy and sell houses cheered on by FF and the Irish media in general. The Indo has focused almost exclusively on P.S. reform to an almost hysterical level while downplaying the threat of NAMA (Indo reporting on NAMA vs Irish Times). Think about who the owners of Independent news and Media are and what their agenda might be?

how come thier is a problem with independant newspaper being critical of the public sector yet no problem with RTE and the irish times being soft on the public sector , are the private sector not allowed have one voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

how come thier is a problem with independant newspaper being critical of the public sector yet no problem with RTE and the irish times being soft on the public sector , are the private sector not allowed have one voice

Eh what? RTE have had numerous current affairs programmes dealing with issues such as the HSE, public sector reform and public sector pensions that have been very critical (Prime Time and Morning Ireland are two that immediately spring to mind). The Irish Times unlike the bigoted Independent is not one sided in its reporting either (recent example here).

your out of your mind if you think that , teachers and nurses in this country are the highest paid in europe , teachers are 55% better paid than in finland and nurses are more than 30% better paid than in the uk , both of those countries are richer than ireland , both of those proffesions here need at least a 15% pay cut on top of the levys introduced and dont get me started about the police here , their on redicolous wages

The top of the scale for Irish teachers in 2006 was €55162; for Finnish teachers it was €53867. In both countries, there are arrangements under which teachers get payments over and above the basic scale, but the amounts of such payments are not given. [Source: OECD, Education at a Glance 2008. See http://www.oecd.org/document/9/0,3343,en_2649_39263238_41266761_1_1_1_1,00.html ]. I don't know where I might find solid comparative data on pay in nursing or policing. Perhaps irish_bob will produce evidence to back up his claims.

ChowChow wrote: »
    Eh what? RTE have had numerous current affairs programmes dealing with issues such as the HSE, public sector reform and public sector pensions that have been very critical (Prime Time and Morning Ireland are two that immediately spring to mind). The Irish Times unlike the bigoted Independent is not one sided in its reporting either (recent example here).

how does criticising the public sector make one a bigot , i realise some posters on certain forums have compared the criticsm of public servants to that of the jewish experience in poland circa 1938 but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The top of the scale for Irish teachers in 2006 was €55162; for Finnish teachers it was €53867. In both countries, there are arrangements under which teachers get payments over and above the basic scale, but the amounts of such payments are not given. [Source: OECD, Education at a Glance 2008. See http://www.oecd.org/document/9/0,3343,en_2649_39263238_41266761_1_1_1_1,00.html ]. I don't know where I might find solid comparative data on pay in nursing or policing. Perhaps irish_bob will produce evidence to back up his claims.

Here's the Finnish nurses.
    http://www.tmb.ie/exodus/news.asp?id=39363
    The Tehy union had demanded a 24-percent wage increase over a period of two and a half years, boosting the minimum wage to between 1,990 and 2,420 euros (2,925-3,560 dollars)

They are halfway through their pay rises so they are still less than Irish nurses http://www.dohc.ie/publications/pdf/salary_scales_mar2008.pdf

gurramok wrote: »
    Here's the Finnish nurses.
    http://www.tmb.ie/exodus/news.asp?id=39363

They are halfway through their pay rises so they are still less than Irish nurses http://www.dohc.ie/publications/pdf/salary_scales_mar2008.pdf

Thanks for digging that much out, but the comparison irish_bob threw in was between Irish and British nurses.

I really think it is incumbent on him to back his claims up. He backed of his claims about differences between pay for Teachers in Ireland and in France, but has persisted with other unsubstantiated claims. We should not have to spend time and effort on stuff like this.

So how about it, irish_bob? Back up your claims, or withdraw them. Have you got it in you to admit that you were wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The top of the scale for Irish teachers in 2006 was €55162; for Finnish teachers it was €53867./quote]

The actual figures are here

http://ocde.p4.siteinternet.com/publications/doifiles/962008041P1G025.xls

P Breathnach quoted Salary Top of Scale on MINIMUM training for secondary teachers .

That would be top of the scale with a pass degree and a pass h dip in most cases or a pass from woodwork teaching or domestic science teaching which do not come with a h dip . The figures are PPP adjusted to take purchasing power in that country into account .

Look at Korea and Luxembourg !

Australia 43 289
    Austria 57 141
    Belgium (Fl.) 49 392
    Belgium (Fr.) 47 506
    Czech Republic 28 974
    Denmark 39 898
    England 43 058
    Finland 48 192
    France 48 882
    Germany 53 696
    Greece 38 525
    Hungary 19 839
    Iceland 32 705
    Ireland 55 132
    Italy 39 162
    Japan 62 645
    Korea 84 139
    Luxembourg 125 895
    Mexico 38 325
    Netherlands 51 705
    New Zealand 36 602
    Norway 38 887
    Poland m
    Portugal 51 552
    Scotland 47 050
    Slovak Republic m
    Spain 52 691
    Sweden 36 130
    Switzerland 72 993
    Turkey a
    United States m

OECD average 49 778
    EU19 average 49 180

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The actual figures are here

http://ocde.p4.siteinternet.com/publications/doifiles/962008041P1G025.xls

P Breathnach quoted Salary Top of Scale on MINIMUM training for secondary teachers .... The figures are PPP adjusted to take purchasing power in that country into account ....

Thank you for drawing attention to my mistake. In fact, the rates are converted to USD equivalents using PPP. My apologies to all who were misled by my earlier posting.

It probably makes for a more meaningful comparison than I had supposed I was showing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thanks for digging that much out, but the comparison irish_bob threw in was between Irish and British nurses.

British nurses should be easier to find.

http://www.workgateways.com/job-medical-nursing.html#earn
    The salary of a registered nurse is structured in a similar way to most other countries.

In the UK nurses are graded in seniority from grade A to grade I, with registered nurses beginning at grade D. Newly registered nurses can expect to start on a salary of around £17,000 which can increase to up to £30,000 at the most senior level I.

The new NHS Agenda for Change pay system is divided into nine pay bands, with several pay increments within each band. Entry level nurses currently begin in band five with the most senior nursing positions falling in band eight. Levels of pay increase as you gain experience and progress through the increments in each band.

Private hospitals usually pay higher rates than NHS facilities, but in both environments you can expect a living allowance if you are situated in London (due to the higher cost of living in the capital) that can be up to £4,000 p.a. in addition to your salary as a registered nurse.

The new Agenda for Change system of pay is currently only being implemented in NHS facilities but is expected to influence rates of pay outside the national system in the future.

British nurses seem to earn very low wages in comparison to their Irish counterparts, agree?

What are the wages of Irish private sector workers in comparison to the UK? I'm not for one minute defending public sector wages but this is an extremely expensive country to live in. I would certainly hope that if many people's wages are getting a haircut, that everything else will get a haircut too. Doctors, dentists, groceries, car prices.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    British nurses should be easier to find.

http://www.workgateways.com/job-medical-nursing.html#earn

British nurses seem to earn very low wages in comparison to their Irish counterparts, agree?

It certainly looks like it. The number of categories and rates applicable in Ireland is a bit confusing. It looks like the rate is from €31k to €45k for nurses without additional qualifications or responsibilities. The UK rate seems to range from £17k to £30k (+ London allowance if applicable).

Advertisement