Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking while camping

Options
  • 16-07-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

When i am away camping i usually either eat local or make a barbecue. However i was think of of getting a stove and pots and pans. Are them cheap ones you get in places like argos and asda any good? and what else would i need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I'm a big fan of the MSR range of stoves. I've a pocket rocket, which is a small burner head screwed onto a gas bottle. To go with it I've got two pans (one fits inside the other), a lid (which doubles as a frying pan) and a handle.

Triangas are also good, simple and solid little stoves, running off methalyated spirits. They can be a little bulky/heavy but good for trips where you've a car or canoe with you. Triangas are pretty hard to knock over, which is great for windy conditions.

Triangas, apart from being on sale in outdoor shops, also come up in Lidl/Aldi each summer.

MSR stoves will be on sale in outdoor shops, including the Great Outdoors, Dublin; Mahers, Cork; and Sport Corran Tuathail, Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭An Mac Tíre

You should look up "penny stoves" or "pepsi can stoves". They are the cheapest thing you'll ever be able to carry with you as far as a stove goes, are easy to remake if you break one and run on meths.
    I cooked my dinner on one just yesterday, after making the stove the day before. Had a nice fry up :D

Important question though, where would be a good place to get cheap meths for an alcohol stove? I ran out there when I cooked that food!
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Try the coop or such and see if they have 5L bottles. If you would like nice meths go to a chemist, expensive but its got less of the nasties in it.

Advertisement