Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reggae - any recommendations

Options
  • 16-07-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭

Have recently caught the reggae bug after a couple of nights at a reggae stage at a festival. Am looking for some recommendations for some good artists/albums to acquire.

So far i have got the obvious, Bob Marley - Legend, and also Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock and Patrice - Nile. Looking for a few other recommendations - more in the Bob Marley/Patrice vein rather than the "toasting" (kinda of a jamican sing-song rapping style) artists or dancehall stuff.

That said, the Damian Marley albums is wicked, so if there are any "toasters" of that calibre i will def give them a whirl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

i have the best of eddy grant. Brilliant stuff. I was surprised to hear excellent songs i didint even know were his

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

scratch-002.jpg

Lee 'Scratch' Perry. Perry is probably the most influential reggae and dub artists of them all. He's also a highly acclaimed producer.He's just an all-round genius in that whole genre really. A completely insane individual on top of all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Augustus Pablo
    Horace Andy
    king tubby

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Apart from the main man(Bob), I recommend Peter Tosh,Steel Pulse,Black Uhuru,Toots&The Maytals, Damian and Stephen Marley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

linton kwesi johnson, Grace Jones, Jimmy Cliff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Andyculture

If you like a bit of reggae, weve just started a regular Sunday Reggae Session in the Twisted Pepper Abbey st. Dublin
    6-11pm Entry is Free - ~Local Selectors playing Reggae 45's all evening

If your looking to check out some different Artists, look out for - Joe Higgs, Delroy Wilson, Culture, Max Romeo, Gregory Isaacs - too name but a few...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

You should check out the new major lazer album. Not strictly speaking reggae, its dancehall but good. Diplo and Switch are the guys behind MIA and Santigold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

It depends what sort of Reggae music you want. I mainly listen to 70's/80's Reggae.

So I have mentioned Big Youth, you could also try Beres Hammond, Johnny Clarke. If you are into something a bit newer try the Easy Star All Stars, They have done cover versions of Pink Floyd, Radiohead & the Beatles.

Check out the soundtrack for the film The Harder They Come as well, it's a good album.

I'll add more as I think of them.

Edit: I just added an Easy Star All Stars song into another thread, you can find it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I caught the Reggae Bug last year. Love it now.

And Ollie suggests Lee Perry. I love him. Here's an interesting vid of Jools Holland interviewing the madman at his old Black Ark studio in Jamaica. He's a true nut. Very clever man, great producer of the like's of Bob Marley etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

there are some great multi-artist compilations out there, the Soul Jazz 100% (etc) Dynamite albums and also the Don Letts one whose name escapes me. That's where I'd go first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

King Tubby for the Dub stuff to start, try the Dub gone crazy comps.
    Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves
    Dr. Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken in Town
    Some of the Trojan comps are good value, I like the 3 Dub boxes.
    Emusic has a good bit of stuff up there for download,
    Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mixtape

There's an Irish Reggae band called Intinn. They're really good.

We filmed one of there gigs in the mezz and recorded an interview with them.

If you'd like to check them out, here's a link:

http://www.mixtape.ie/?p=174

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I know you didn't really want toasting but for those who do like it.

One of my favourite songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Burning Spear

Don Carlos & Groundation

Steel Pulse

Gladiators

Abyssinians

Israel Vibration

Culture

Sly & Robbie

Max Romeo

Mighty Diamonds

Barrington Levy

I'm jealous that you will be listening to this stuff for the first time.....
    Just as a warning, you don't tend to find all of the gems from these artists on youtube, just try and listen to albums before buying any.. some of them can be dodgy :)

Enjoy

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

You could always try a twist of reggae/dub with some of the more recent electronic based artists and collaborations, amazing stuff... (not sure if the purists will dig it though!). Amazed actually that there is no reggae/dub section on boards, must be the only genre not catered for.

Rhythm & Sound

Deadbeat

And then also in the dub techno field, although the following track may as well be pure dub... taken from the amazing album, 'The Coldest Season'

Echospace

Samba wrote: »
    Just as a warning, you don't tend to find all of the gems from these artists on youtube, just try and listen to albums before buying any.. some of them can be dodgy :)

I find that with a lot of albums in the reggae genre, a couple of really good tracks mixed in with some awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

ALBOROSIE, An Italian Rasta. Check him out. Went to see Damien Marley a few years back in the Olympia, What a gig !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Rather than just throwing out a lot of names I suggest you have a look at the Trojan box sets on Amazon. A good way to find out which sort of reggae you like. No point in bying King Tubby if you find it's Lover's that you like.
    The skinhead box is really good for starters :D

I suggest you have a look at the Trojan box sets.

+1, there are some good stuff on some of those compilations and they are good value as well.

This is a good album to start off with. It has a lot of the artists mentioned in this thread all on the one album. They are all good songs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

mudokon wrote: »
    I find that with a lot of albums in the reggae genre, a couple of really good tracks mixed in with some awful stuff.

Yeah, really depends on the artist, but for the most part you're right.

Nothing grinds my gears more than awful cheesy sounding synth!

I remember going to a festival in Holland a few years back....Israel vibe were the first main act, I don't know whether they are too cheap to pay for a horn section! Or if they couldn't get someone....

Burning spear came on shortly afterwards with a full horn section. Just wow..blew Israel vibe away.

/end derailment.

Another gem, which has a selection of artists

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-One-Story-Various-Artists/dp/B00008GQPB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

Lots of good stuff already mentioned but on the Dub front I'd highly recommend Scientist:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Obleroza

why did no one mention Desmond Decker?

Also a good album to start with is the Harder They Come. Its a soundtrack to the movie of the same name. It is mainly the aforementioned jimmy Cliff but there are a few acts on it. Its the album that first brought reggae out of Jamaica.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

Again, depends on what kind of Reggae you like. I'm absolutely no expert either, but the early UB40 stuff is fantastic. "One in Ten", "Present Arms" and "The earth dies screaming" could have been written in 2009.

And if you like "Red red wine" (I don't)... dont let the purists stop you from enjoying it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

dasdog wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff already mentioned but on the Dub front I'd highly recommend Scientist:

QFT
    This album ranks as one of my favourite of all time... Utterly essential stuff!

• Advertisement

@ bmoregan. I like UB40 as well, it was their Labour of Love albums that made me want to listen to the original versions of the songs they had covered on them.

Baggariddim is UB40 sounding a little different if you haven't heard of it.

I like the 12" version of Red Red Wine because of the toasting on it.

Advertisement