Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reggae - any recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Thanks for all the suggestions, will try and work my way through some of them.

At the minute, I am listening to the marley's a lot - damian, stephen and bob of course. Obviously listening to legend, but got exodus as well, great album.

I am also listening to german reggae as i said as well - gentleman and patrice in particular. Am still spreading my wings, so will keep exploring. Am happy to report that this seems to be more than just a passing fad - really loving the reggae. A real, feel good positive vibe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Rather than just throwing out a lot of names I suggest you have a look at the Trojan box sets on Amazon. A good way to find out which sort of reggae you like. No point in bying King Tubby if you find it's Lover's that you like.
    The skinhead box is really good for starters :D

They're practically giving away those box sets on itunes at the moment. I got the Lovers Rock one for 2.99 the other day.
    Again, depends on what kind of Reggae you like. I'm absolutely no expert either, but the early UB40 stuff is fantastic. "One in Ten", "Present Arms" and "The earth dies screaming" could have been written in 2009.

And if you like "Red red wine" (I don't)... dont let the purists stop you from enjoying it :-)

+1 bmoregan - there's a lot of snobbishness directed at them but the early stuff is brilliant and Labour of Love moved me on from 2-Tone to reggae.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Felixdhc wrote: »
    You could always try a twist of reggae/dub with some of the more recent electronic based artists and collaborations, amazing stuff... (not sure if the purists will dig it though!). Amazed actually that there is no reggae/dub section on boards, must be the only genre not catered for.

yeah I've been listening to some of this stuff recently, not all of it does it for me, but when they get it right it's great. Lots of potential for this style in the future I think!
    Just got an album by Beat Pharmacy called Wikkid Times, its great.
    Dreadlock Tales & Salmonella Dub have some good stuff too.
    Liking the Rhythm & Sound tracks.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

fuse wrote: »
    yeah I've been listening to some of this stuff recently, not all of it does it for me, but when they get it right it's great. Lots of potential for this style in the future I think!
    Just got an album by Beat Pharmacy called Wikkid Times, its great.
    Dreadlock Tales & Salmonella Dub have some good stuff too.
    Liking the Rhythm & Sound tracks.

There are some great releases alright, Deadbeat being one - every album is excellent, highly recommended.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Deadbeat

Didn't know Beat Pharmacy but looked up and saw that its Brendon Moeller, have a couple of his 12"s, one on the excellent Echocord label - cheers, must check that out now too.

Have you listened to any Yagya? -

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Yagya

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Have you listened to any Yagya? -

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Yagya

No, looking forward to sounds good. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

Lee Perry, King Tubby & any album that involves them is a good way to go, maybe get some Trojan Compilations & see what sort of Reggae you are into.
    By listening to a mix CD you get a nice idea of the different artists & where to go next.

I love all this sort of stuff:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/168821/Trojan-Tighten-Up-Box-Set/Product.html

3 CD set for only €6.49

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Dave Barker. Great 'toaster and real nice singer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

The Upsetters
    Boris Gardiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sabarka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAutCL8MMP4

try the above link...fabulous Pablo moses....had so many brilliant songs...and also look for Misty in Roots on you tube......try Pablo Gad as well, and i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the great Gregory Issacs....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Gregory Isaacs
    Black Uhuru
    The gladiators
    Augustus Pablo
    Jacob Miller
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Congos (one of my fav's) If you can start with the heart of the Congos
    Peter Tosh
    Bunny Wailer
    The abyssinians
    Alpha Blondy
    U Roy
    I Roy
    Toots And the Maytals
    Lee Perry
    Junior Marvin
    Max Romeo
    Steel Pulse
    Dillinger
    Aswad :) some good ones there
    Third World
    Luciano

And to top it off " Burning Spear"

One more, Linton Kwesi Johnson- Poet and the roots, absolute class but very tough stuff

Enjoy exploring reggae :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

On buju, one of my favs of him, also covered by our own sinead o connor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-0Eo0Yk0o&NR=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

You should come along to 'Dancehall Styles' in the Button Factory on Sundays. It will open you up to a whole new world of reggae.

floggg wrote: »
    Have recently caught the reggae bug after a couple of nights at a reggae stage at a festival. Am looking for some recommendations for some good artists/albums to acquire.

So far i have got the obvious, Bob Marley - Legend, and also Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock and Patrice - Nile. Looking for a few other recommendations - more in the Bob Marley/Patrice vein rather than the "toasting" (kinda of a jamican sing-song rapping style) artists or dancehall stuff.

That said, the Damian Marley albums is wicked, so if there are any "toasters" of that calibre i will def give them a whirl.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lee Scratch Perry and Max Romeo would be my recommends.
    You might get into Mad Lion as well, he done alot of cross over hip hop stuff as well. Just mentioning this as floggg is known to lurk on the hip hop forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Sugar Minott doesn't seem to have been mentioned here, I just found out he passed away over a week ago. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

As said above, the Trojan box sets are a goldmine for this kind of music.

I came across Hopeton Lewis on it, fantastic song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQmENXQcU8E Take it Easy

I'm getting into the original stuff more and more, guys like Prince Buster are great.

Outside of the obvious names (Marley, Toots, Cliff) check out the Aggrolites, Easy All-Stars, Skatalites. Going to see some of those guys on the Day Zero day in Sziget, can't wait!

Advertisement