Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be Nice To Telesales Folk..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jackbutler

I'll be nice next time, do telesales people ever get sales by using telephones?

I'd guess by the rate of people hanging up, they won't make anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

My mum worked at this in Germany and said it was awful. Soul destroying stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Telemarketers never ring me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

My mum worked at this in Germany and said it was awful. Soul destroying stuff.

/thinks about provoking Godwin's Law.

Nah,forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

jackbutler wrote: »
    I'll be nice next time, do telesales people ever get sales by using telephones?

I'd guess by the rate of people hanging up, they won't make anything.

We had an automatic dialer so calls just kept coming one after the other, if someone just hung up then it would put them back into the queue. :)
    Discover was a right bastid of a card to sell, a huge amount of calls were complaining about the treatment business customers got. I think we got minimum wage for our hours and something extra for 20+ sales in an 8 hour shift. There was some people really good at the job though, don't know how they managed it. Most I got was 5. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

We used to play a game on the phones in work that we would have to call the customer "darling" or "lover" at least once in every call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Faith wrote: »
    I was on every Do-Not-Call list in the UK and I was still getting loads of calls.
    in that case you can have the offending party fined by the regulating body for quite a fee. Its an appropriately hefty offense in the US.

My other favorite is "Oh let me get him. Hang on a sec" and go have a poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

I worked for a few months in a call center in Fairview as I was stuck for a job when I left College, was fairly terrible alright, worked 12-9, which was a pain in one way but good in another as I could get out of my mind drunk every night and still go into work fresh as a daisy ( Well moreso than if I had been due to start at 8.30). I worked with some great people.

It was more or less the same deal as someone else said here, automatic dialler ringing folks in the UK. We did get a fair amount of hassle, hands up some justified some not and downright ignorant.

But, I do remember this one guy let me go through my script (for about the hundred time that day) and calmly said to me at the end of it "I won't be buying your product, You know I used to work in telesales, I know how sh!t it can be mate. Don't let the F*ckers get you down". We went on to have a pretty cool chat after that. He was a genuinely nice bloke, he got me through that day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

FruitLover wrote: »
    Not much chance of that, I only answer my phone to people I know. Anyway, why are you getting all angsty at me? I didn't force you to take a crappy job. You should have worked harder in school/college, then maybe you wouldn't have to take abuse for 35 hours a week, dunce.
    I'm actually just after finishing first year in college and it's solely for summer work and to pay my own fees. I never once complained about having to work, I'm trying to pay my own way in college. I simply asked people to be a little more considerate towards Telesales Agents to which you told me to piss off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being unemployed is beyond miserable but there are certain things I'd prefer it to: cold-calling, chugging and door-to-door sales.

Seriously OP, give it up - people aren't going to become nice to you and your colleagues just because you ask us to. Well I wouldn't abuse but I don't give myself time - I just hang up.
    See if any inbound services are looking for staff. You'll get some abuse in that environment too but at least they're phoning you up, not the other way round. And you can instruct them not to be aggressive if they cross the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its not telesales people you dont want to piss off, its people who work in inbound call centres, we have your name, address, date of birth,phone number, email address and bank account details right in front of us, do not **** with us... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hate taking those calls, but I usually just say shit the kid is in the washing machine byyye or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

NO.you guys call at dinnertime,the first chance i get to relax all day. i know you are just trying to earn a crust but understand how annoying and invasive it is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Be nice to Door-to Door sales please

I ahve been working at it for the past week I did a ten hour shift today and got paid a fiver. 4 ppl told me to fcuk off one called me the scum of the earth other people just shooed me away.

I work on commision and its an 11 hour shift. I have no other choice...only way I could pay for college, just trying to make a decent living after me and my bf just both got let go on the same day . No I'm not interested is fine but not....Fcuk off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

HouseHippo wrote: »
    I did a ten hour shift today and got paid a fiver.
    I have no other choice...only way I could pay for college,

Will college be much fun as a pensioner?

stovelid wrote: »
    Will college be much fun as a pensioner?
    Its not really something to take the piss out of.

Well you could look at it another way: a sense of humour will do you the world of good in times like these.

I ahve been working at it for the past week I did a ten hour shift today and got paid a fiver. 4 ppl told me to fcuk off one called me the scum of the earth other people just shooed me away.

I work on commision and its an 11 hour shift. I have no other choice...only way I could pay for college, just trying to make a decent living after me and my bf just both got let go on the same day . No I'm not interested is fine but not....Fcuk off
    That commission-only crowd you're working for are scam artists - get out of there. Low-cost retailers like Lidl and Aldi seem to be doing a lot of hiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Door to door is a whole other kettle of fish. They actually work (I'm on my feet all day so I can sympathise) and generally sell something useful/interesting. I'm still waiting for someone to turn up at my door selling RC cars in a can again. :( They were a blast. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

i used to work in telesales(horrible soul crushing job:() and one day i called a woman who said she may be interested in the service and could i call back in the evening

so i did, she answered said "oh sorry my husband said we dont need it" and then the husband came on the phone (3 way calling) started screaming at the wife saying" im gonna give you some hiding do ya think we are made of money" and the wife was crying saying "im sorry i didnt mean it" and then the phone went dead

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Seinfeld had it cracked

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This webpage is great for telling you what your rights are and how you can opt out, but unless I'm missing something very obvious, it doesn't actually tell you how you can opt out. Anyone know who you're supposed to contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Voltwad wrote: »
    Okay so recently I've started work in a call centre doing telesales and it's not nice work to say the least. My 35 hour week mainly consists of getting given out to by people for inappropriate timing and wrongdoings of my employers. What people don't seem to take into consideration is that us telesales folk are common folk just like the people we ring and we're just trying to earn a living. As well as that, our supervisors actually take into account our average time on the phone to a customer over a days work so the least people can do is hear us out for a couple of minutes. So like the title says, do a good deed and be nice to somebody who rings you up trying to sell you a service, even if you don't intend on buying it (which believe you me is the case 99% of the time)

I just put sale calls on hold and when the salescaller hangs up so does my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Dudess wrote: »
    Well you could look at it another way: a sense of humour will do you the world of good in times like these.

That commission-only crowd you're working for are scam artists - get out of there. Low-cost retailers like Lidl and Aldi seem to be doing a lot of hiring.

Its against the law to pay you as an employee below min wage even if its commission only. The commission can exceed min wage but can not be less then min wage. this does not apply if you are self employed ie you pay your own tax and prsi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Stephen wrote: »
    I'm polite to telesales people as long as they respect my wishes - i.e. if I say I'm not interested, that's the end of the call. The twats from talk talk are the worst for this. They seem genuinely irritated that you don't want their poxy service and refuse to give up. That's when I hang up the phone.

They rang me a few weeks ago and asked me to get an eircom bill to compare the price to their service. I explained to them I don't have any eircom bills to hand as I shred them after paying them. (Which is true.) The telesales person kept insisting I did have a bill and to go get it. :confused::mad:
    Eventually I just told him to wait while I looked for one, hung up the phone and went back to my dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DR

I found it quite humourous when a blatant Indian named John Smith called. I told him his mammy picked a lovely name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Okay so recently I've started work in a call centre doing telesales and it's not nice work to say the least. My 35 hour week mainly consists of getting given out to by people for inappropriate timing and wrongdoings of my employers. What people don't seem to take into consideration is that us telesales folk are common folk just like the people we ring and we're just trying to earn a living. As well as that, our supervisors actually take into account our average time on the phone to a customer over a days work so the least people can do is hear us out for a couple of minutes. So like the title says, do a good deed and be nice to somebody who rings you up trying to sell you a service, even if you don't intend on buying it (which believe you me is the case 99% of the time)

gonna have to hang up on you there blue nose

If anyone wants a service or whatnot its up to them to make it and not have it made by somebody else.

Its just another form of spam....

computer says no im affraid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unsolicited phone calls are a waste of time and an invasion of privicy

there is too much advertising in the world , people filter it out so the advertising gets more aggressive and so the vicious cycle begins,

The great news is that the internet can bypass all the middlemen and hype.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The attitude of a lot of telemarketers as well is that I have all day to listen to their crap. Do you seriously expect me to let my dinner (which I looked forward to all day) go cold to listen to crap I could read on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've never recieved a cold call. I'd almost like to to see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Anyone see Dragon's Den the other night? I don't usually watch it but was in a mate's place and his g/f had it on...anyways one of the better propsals was a device that filters phonecalls from numbers you don't know, plays them a message asking them to ID themselves or puts them through to the householder. In the event that it's a marketing call you don't want to take you press a button and it plays back a recorded message saying that you're not interested in taking the call, thanks the caller and politely hangs up.
    He was trying to sell it for about £100 which I thought was a bit steep but it was a great idea and one that would have some legs I'd say.

As for being nice to people who cold call you, I politely tell them I'm not interested before I hear any spiel..no pont in wasting their time or mine. I don't care if they get paid on the basis of time spent on calls...that's their tough sh*t really. My time is valuable both whilst working or whilst at home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Wertz wrote: »
    Anyone see Dragon's Den the other night? I don't usually watch it but was in a mate's place and his g/f had it on...anyways one of the better propsals was a device that filters phonecalls from numbers you don't know, plays them a message asking them to ID themselves or puts them through to the householder. In the event that it's a marketing call you don't want to take you press a button and it plays back a recorded message saying that you're not interested in taking the call, thanks the caller and politely hangs up.
    He was trying to sell it for about £100 which I thought was a bit steep but it was a great idea and one that would have some legs I'd say.

As for being nice to people who cold call you, I politely tell them I'm not interested before I hear any spiel..no pont in wasting their time or mine. I don't care if they get paid on the basis of time spent on calls...that's their tough sh*t really. My time is valuable both whilst working or whilst at home...

This is already available in the States I believe. My aunt in NY has it. You call, an automated voice asks for your name, if your name isn't on her aproved callers list a message plays saying the party does not wish to take the call and it is disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i work in a shared office which has a telesales team init!! their job is to ring OAP's and get them to switch over to a different phone operator!

it is blantatly obvious that the OAPS haven't the foggiest of what these people are trying to sell ("No were not from telecom eireinn" is an everyday occurance) and i'm pretty sure most of the people they do convert are not really sure what they are signing up for!!

Is it their job.....yes
    If they weren't doing it would somebody else be.....yes
    Are they just following orders targeting OAPS......yes
    Are they actually saving people money......maybe

Will I be nice to them.....no, and if you hear of 10 Indians being strangled by theis headset cables....well lets just say I wont be on boards for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

i just give the phone to my 2yr old he likes to babble on now too........
    i wonder what they say on the other end........
    they never ring back though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

taidghbaby - Is that a certain crowd whose name starts with P?
    I work in market research, and we're currently running a survey to find why people are switching to different providers. I keep getting through to OAPs who have switched to this P... crowd - they've been promised it'll be really cheap, and the bills have come, and they're always high. Half of them don't know why they've switched. One woman had been promised she'd be sent a little box to put into her modem which would magically make her bad, broadband unsuitable line able to take broadband.
    If it's the same crowd you're talking about, I'm really taken aback and worried by their tactics.

c4cat wrote: »
    Its against the law to pay you as an employee below min wage even if its commission only. The commission can exceed min wage but can not be less then min wage. this does not apply if you are self employed ie you pay your own tax and prsi.
    Interesting. They aren't declaring me apparently yet I wasn't informed of this. Is there anything I can do about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Jean wrote: »
    I work in market research, and we're currently running a survey to find why people are switching to different providers. I keep getting through to OAPs who have switched to this P... crowd - they've been promised it'll be really cheap, and the bills have come, and they're always high. Half of them don't know why they've switched. One woman had been promised she'd be sent a little box to put into her modem which would magically make her bad, broadband unsuitable line able to take broadband.
    If it's the same crowd you're talking about, I'm really taken aback and worried by their tactics.

Perlico

Nope, good mix of people switching to Perlico! This is a different crowd that I've noticed mainly have OAPs switching.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nice sales pitch.

No.

How did you get this web address?

Interesting. They aren't declaring me apparently yet I wasn't informed of this. Is there anything I can do about this

get out now HouseHippo!i got an interview with 2 of those crowds; i walked out halfway through the 1st one!!scam artists the lot of em. you will not make any money with them.

get out now HouseHippo!i got an interview with 2 of those crowds; i walked out halfway through the 1st one!!scam artists the lot of em. you will not make any money with them.
    Im going to leave the minute I get something else! They seem to brainwash their staff too they are all leaving college etc to work there as they seem to think they will be running their own company in a year

Im going to leave the minute I get something else! They seem to brainwash their staff too they are all leaving college etc to work there as they seem to think they will be running their own company in a year

they all call themselved MDs too, it's utter tripe. i swear i'd rather be on the dole(im finished college). please tell whatever retards that are considering leaving college to cop the **** on. i know people are desperate,but please tell them to ask themselves why,in the current climate, these con artists are still hiring??because it's such a scam they can't even keep staff in these terrible times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Jean wrote: »
    yeah it does begin with P and no its not perlico!

Knew it. I KNEW they were targetting old people. Uncool. Totally uncool.

• Advertisement

Seriously, google Aldi's number and give them a ring (don't bother with an online application) - they're hiring according to their website, but that might fizzle out soon. Strike while the iron is hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What people don't seem to take into consideration is that us telesales folk are common folk just like the people we ring and we're just trying to earn a living.
    I heard this crap before. You might know the phrase "its a dirty job but someone has to do it". But in your case it is a dirty job and NOBODY has to do it, the job should not exist the first place. A traffic warden will join up knowing to expect abuse, but at least their job does have a definite purpose. Like chuggers & spammers there is NO need for your job to exist.
    As well as that, our supervisors actually take into account our average time on the phone to a customer over a days work so the least people can do is hear us out for a couple of minutes
    You get paid for your time, so do I. My boss often answers to these timewasters
    -are you being paid to call me
    -eh yes
    -how much are you going to pay me for my time so?

Time is money, you are costing companies money and disturbing their work, my boss would describe what you do as a form of theft, so would I.

The damage to the economy due to time wasting due to unsolicited email and paper junk mail and cold callers is massive. You are contributing to this and damaging your own prospects for a better job being available.
    even if you don't intend on buying it (which believe you me is the case 99% of the time)
    You already admit 99% of people do not want it, yet expect the companies to pay for a "few minutes" of employees time to be wasted?
    As well as that I hope I catch you at the most awkward of times that causes you an almighty hassle.
    Is it any wonder you get abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Where di I hear this... God's wonderful way of dealling with Spam calls.

Just answer:

"This is Garda Sergeant Muc Ramhair, and what connection might you have with the deceased?"

If they get flustered, push it with.

"I'll have you know, you've just called up a murder scene, Mister. Now I'll be wanting your name and address."

Technically illegal, but ****ing hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

After a few years you develop a thick skin and you don't care when someones nasty to you. Why let it get to you?

Luckily the calls I do have been requested by the customer and they are delighted when I call, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Got a nice phone call from the tele sales folk on the day of my grandfathers funeral..

"Good afternoon, could I speak to John Murphy please?"

Sure, but I doubt he's going to buy anything off you..

• Advertisement
Advertisement