Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ireland goes to war.

Options
  • 16-07-2009 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

We will not be consulted as to how this war would be started - the Great powers would do that. And when it ended,no matter wo won. We would not be consulted as to the terms on which it should end?

What do you think - am I correct in my understanding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

No, I think you're completely incorrect. We are involved in no "great power" alliances, and our forces can be deployed only with UN authorisation. The only way under which anyone can dictate Ireland going to war is by invading us.

briefly,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ireland wouldn't go to war, war would come to Ireland. Unless it was some piddling little thing and Ireland woudn'nt be invited to one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

We can't afford to go to war. Have you not heard of an board snip?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

If Scotland seceded and England invaded in retaliation. Then "just supposin" there was unrest in Ireland with the Dail under siege. That's when the nationalism and jingoism card would be played by our discredited gov't. There would be some feinting at the border, news stories about the heroism of our boys and girls. The stories of atrocities committed by the enemy would make the hair stand on the back of your neck. Things could then get out of control and away we go to the races. Wars increase employment, decrease the work force, and the public willingly make sacrifices in the name of patriotism. Don't take this seriously but wars do start for the silliest of reasons. Look at WW1 Archduke Ferdinand assasinated by a Serb fanatic in Sarajevo leading to millions of deaths from 1914 to 1918 and then to WW2 because the Germans were humiliated and had to show them hyper nationalistic cretins from 1938 to 1945.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Hasschu wrote: »
    Look at WW1 Archduke Ferdinand assasinated by a Serb fanatic in Sarajevo leading to millions of deaths from 1914 to 1918 and then to WW2 because the Germans were humiliated and had to show them hyper nationalistic cretins from 1938 to 1945.

I think the origins of WWI were a teeny bit more complex than one assassination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hasschu, I trust you are wearing one of these, they are all the rage I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

turgon wrote: »
    I think the origins of WWI were a teeny bit more complex than one assassination.

Yeah Gavrillo Princip shooting Franz Ferdinand was more of a 'spark' than the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah Gavrillo Princip shooting Franz Ferdinand was more of a 'spark' than the cause.

Hmm I was looking for a good metaphor but I couldnt think of one!!

The assassination was not much more than the igniting of a spark plug submersed in a cylinder of petrol.

Nice.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If the OP can PM me and convince me that there was some intended coherency to this thread or that he had his own views or that there wasn't a bottle of whiskey involved I might acquiesce to re-open this.

Otherwise, erm, what the flying ****?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement