Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermarest

Options
  • 16-07-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

could someone recccomend a good thermarest mattress? and where to get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

From experience unless you really need to save on weight, don't get the three quarter lengths, I always found it hard to sleep with cold feet:(

Oh, and invest in a puncture repair kit, costs ten euro at max, but well worth it if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Would have to say the opposite to that of the last post:D

Do get a 3/4 lenght Guide lite or trek lite mat just use your rucksack to keep your feet off the ground.

Of course this choice is purely personnal and it depends on your preference but I have used both an that is my choice (with strips of duck tape to stop you slipping off the mat while asleep)

I go for max thickness as opposed to lenght of the mat relative to weight and bulk

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

So where can you buy them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Bob Z wrote: »
    could someone recccomend a good thermarest mattress? and where to get it?

Hey Bob,

I have 2 thermarests one full length and one 3/4. I prefer my 4 season 3/4 length one (prolite 4).

It also depends on how much you want to spend and how light you a thermarest you want and what you want the mat for. (I know you mean camping but summer camping/ winter camping etc) Light usually = more money.

A buddy of mine bought one of the new Neo Air mats from thermarest. Its super lightweight and it could be an option for you.

As for where to get them, if your in Dublin you could look at G.O.D , 53 Degrees North or The Outdoor Adventure Store.
    If your down the country you could look at River Deep Mountain High in Limerick and Galway. There are also a number of online sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

cheapskate wrote: »
    Would have to say the opposite to that of the last post:D

I think that proves that it's very much a case of personal preference, you really need to look at comfort V's weight & bulk.
    Years ago when I worked in Great Outdoors they used to have inflated mattress' which you could try out in the store (go at a quiet time, not fun about lying down on the floor of a crowded shop), see how different ones feel and then decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

alpkit do great ones.
    www.alpkit.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pick up a Gelert one if you're not too bothered by size. It doesn't compact down nearly as much but is much cheaper.
    I picked one at the factory shop when I was in Wales and its great. Only downside is the size when packed but not that big a problem for me personnally.

Advertisement