Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruiser Advice

• 16-07-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone, i'm 20 yrs old and just recently passed my Motorbike theory test. Im now looking to but my first bike and am interested in a cruiser style bike. Im 6ft tall and about 70kg and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good cruiser to start on.

I was looking at a Dragstar but i wanted to know if the seat height would impede me in any way. Im new to this stuff so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

harley 883 sportster. Probably won't have to be restricted much. And as cruisers go, it's probably the best in my opinion in terms of price/performance/reliability/handling/fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm just under 6ft (5 11")and am very comfortable on the dragstar. I have the 250cc version and while it's grand for starting out I'll be trading for something bigger cc wise as soon as I can afford to but that's just because I want a bit more power after riding the 250 version 9 months now. Seating wise it's very comfortable, no problems on long rides.

Maybe look at the 650 dragstar or if you have some healthy funds the 950 and 1300 midnight stars are learner legal under the weight ratio rule. In any case, at 6ft you shouldn't have any problems on any star from 250cc upwards.

One cruiser which is a little cramped is the honda shadow / rebel. pegs are a little closer to the seated position, which was one of the reasons I decided against getting one. More suited for people about 5ft 9"ish or less.

Can't comment on other cruisers as my experience is still limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6ft 4" myself and have driven a couple of different cruisers.

Make sure you can do a full lock of the bars without hitting your knee's though. A lot of people make this mistake when getting their first cruiser. Its a good way to decide if its the right size for you as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

While I'm not your height i once had a vn800. Not the classic with the fat front wheel but the other one with the skinny spoked wheel. I think its a standard. Great bike and real good fun especially with a straight through exhaust. A good place to look and get a feel if your in Dublin is JP motorcycles on Pearce Street. He always used to have a nice stock of cruisers.

I'm 6'2 and was pretty comfy on the dragstar 125 and 650. I'm even more comfy now on the roadstar 1600 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

+1 on the dragstar 250. Excellent bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Mate you'll be comfortable on any cruiser if you're only 6 foot tall. I'm six foot tall too and I rode sports bikes comfortably for many years. Cruisers are like a lazy boy in comparison.

Just one thing to note about Harleys. They are made in the states so if all of your tools are metric you will have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gears of War

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. really appreciate it. Im goin to have a look at a few bikes with my dad who's an experienced rider before making a decision and will keep all this info in mind.

Thanks again

Advertisement