Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Tech Support Nightmare!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Don't get your hopes up with the second level support. I've just gotten off the phone with them. Same problem as yourselves, paid for 20Mb, was getting it until 2 weeks ago and now I get 6-8Mb at peak times.

The 2nd Level support guy, just reloaded my profile onto my modem and got me to reboot. Feck all difference, I'll keep an eye on it though. When it became clear that it wasn't making a difference, he tried to fob me off to the premier support line saying "they're the IT experts, as we can't see a problem on our side"... my arse....

They'll also tell you that they don't have contention because they use fibre optics, they're obviously well schooled in network infrastructure then:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Skittle wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up with the second level support. I've just gotten off the phone with them. Same problem as yourselves, paid for 20Mb, was getting it until 2 weeks ago and now I get 6-8Mb at peak times.

The 2nd Level support guy, just reloaded my profile onto my modem and got me to reboot. Feck all difference, I'll keep an eye on it though. When it became clear that it wasn't making a difference, he tried to fob me off to the premier support line saying "they're the IT experts, as we can't see a problem on our side"... my arse....

They'll also tell you that they don't have contention because they use fibre optics, they're obviously well schooled in network infrastructure then:rolleyes:

OH MY GOD :eek: .... well if they cant fix it, i will cancel... and get smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    You mean cancel Internet, leave the rest and go for an other provider?
    Yes, I'm happy with the TV and phone. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land or can it be done ?

Yes, I'm happy with the TV and phone. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land or can it be done ?

you can cancel it, and leave the rest, but they gonna try charging you for that -i think so- if the contract isn't over yet. think its ~100e

and they'll hide behind the "up to 20 Mbs" clause if I say they broke the contract first. Peachy. Thanks for all the help folks...you should get jobs in customer support. :)

• Advertisement

and they'll hide behind the "up to 20 Mbs" clause if I say they broke the contract first. Peachy. Thanks for all the help folks...you should get jobs in customer support. :)

Just for the record, I am a Customer Support Agent :D:D

my condolences;)

my condolences;)

Hell is a call center, with endless q, im telling ya :D

Confirmed: its congestion.
    520034735.png

Saturday mornings, gotta love em.

Confirmed: its congestion.
    520034735.png

Saturday mornings, gotta love em.

Just been on the phone with 2nd Level Support, They said there is nothing wrong with the connection on their side, but they can send someone out, however if the engineer plugs in his laptop and the connection will be fine, I will be charged 60 euro for the callout. :confused:

"Proud of our services
    Everyone in Chorus ntl is committed to offering our customers excellent service at all times:
    We offer FREE customer service - no call out charges" :confused:

• Advertisement

Keep a record of your speeds as a separate printout to show the engineer. This proves the problem is intermittent at least. I don't think they have a legal foot to stand on with the call out charge - like they said customer care is free.

Keep a record of your speeds as a separate printout to show the engineer. This proves the problem is intermittent at least. I don't think they have a legal foot to stand on with the call out charge - like they said customer care is free.

this hasnt gone above 6 mb for two weeks, so they can f**k off :) and ill be here so... oh and i clearly mentioned that sometimes its up 6-7 which is very very rare.

whatever happens with the engineer, keep us posted. I'm not giving up either. Kidnap your engineer and send him to me.:)

whatever happens with the engineer, keep us posted. I'm not giving up either. Kidnap your engineer and send him to me.:)

haha, will do it :)

my mate is here with his macbook, so ill try it AGAIN with the 101st laptop, via the 5th eth, cable i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't forget your historical results on pseedtest.net are likely still available if your IP didn't change.

go to the "your results" bit at the top of the page to see your past speed tests and you can even download a copy and have them there to show the engineer so he can see it over time.

you can also see the results of other people in your area too in the "your summary" bit and compare your average results to everyone else.

Thanks...all the evidence in black and white.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just been on the phone with 2nd Level Support, They said there is nothing wrong with the connection on their side, but they can send someone out, however if the engineer plugs in his laptop and the connection will be fine, I will be charged 60 euro for the callout. :confused:

"Proud of our services
    Everyone in Chorus ntl is committed to offering our customers excellent service at all times:
    We offer FREE customer service - no call out charges" :confused:

Yes but which of the companies are you actually contracted to?

There now appears to be three sets of Terms and Conditions:

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

The UPC T&C's now extend to 22 pages! The whole T&C thing has really become a farce at this stage (not just for UPC) it really is time that the consumer was given some protection by the so called authorities. It is absurd to expect any consumer to wade through 22 pages before signing up for something as relatively 'simple' as broadband.

I don't think they have a legal foot to stand on with the call out charge - like they said customer care is free.
    they do. their whole point with that is, if they send out an engineer and he plugs in his own laptop and does a speedtest and gets much better speeds than you are getting then it pretty much conclusively proves that the problem is at your end and they've wasted an engineer visit on you, unless it turns out to be a faulty modem.

yes they say they have free callouts, but you can bet your s$$ that somewhere in the t&c's it'll state somewhere that they can't be held responsible for other peoples equipment OR the netgear routers they used to supply.

I should have just sold my soul. Less terms and conditions...and a half decent story to tell.:)

i think you'll find that all the UPC execs already sold theirs and there's more of them than you, so you'd still be SOL. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    they do. their whole point with that is, if they send out an engineer and he plugs in his own laptop and does a speedtest and gets much better speeds than you are getting then it pretty much conclusively proves that the problem is at your end and they've wasted an engineer visit on you, unless it turns out to be a faulty modem.

yes they say they have free callouts, but you can bet your s$$ that somewhere in the t&c's it'll state somewhere that they can't be held responsible for other peoples equipment OR the netgear routers they used to supply.

Its ironic that they are talking about charging for call outs when they have regularly insisted on sending someone out when it was blatantly unnecessary for them to do so!

Recently they refused to register a support call from me when I refused to agree to a teccie coming out later in the week. There was a complete tv breakdown in the area at the time:rolleyes:

They refused a call out for me. Second level support even told me the engineer him/herself would see my perfect broadband from their end and refuse to come out.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

I found with UPC, when you ring up and say that you are very disappointed with the service and then say that you are going to switch to Sky and Eircom, the support you receive is much better.

Since this morning, the speed is back on normal, 9.8/0.98 megabit :confused:

I've logged in the modem's ISP side, and noticed that only me and someone else connecting, there were three of us previously, now, if the third guy connects back and my speed goes down to 2mb again I will now, that its HIM :D

Since this morning, the speed is back on normal, 9.8/0.98 megabit :confused:

I've logged in the modem's ISP side, and noticed that only me and someone else connecting, there were three of us previously, now, if the third guy connects back and my speed goes down to 2mb again I will now, that its HIM :D

Sorry for sounding dim here:) but how do you log in on the modem's ISP side ?

Sorry for sounding dim here:) but how do you log in on the modem's ISP side ?

Well, Its a bit too long to explain, and I dont have much time now, but later on I can show you the way.

Thanks.

They refused a call out for me. Second level support even told me the engineer him/herself would see my perfect broadband from their end and refuse to come out.:confused:

If you have to get on to them again remind them of this from their customer charter:)
    Resolution Timeframes:
    Where possible we will resolve your complaint at first point of contact.
    In all other instances we will acknowledge complaints within 2 working days and aim to resolve these within 20 working days.
    In the event we cannot meet our targeted service level we will pro-actively communicate this to you and agree a mutually
    acceptable way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You ought to have a message such as
    Disabled
    Not Allow Access
    This page has been disabled, you cannot access it.

Though it will depend on Modem and how much the ISP has locked it down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well, Its a bit too long to explain, and I dont have much time now, but later on I can show you the way.

I don't think this is something the ISP wants a user to do, so unless you can show where UPC state that this is allowed, don't post the explanation.

I've removed some posts there, but if anyone can show that UPC allow this, I'll reinstate them.

Advertisement