Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Tech Support Nightmare!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

sorry, didn't know I was paddling in choppy waters.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

jor el wrote: »
    I don't think this is something the ISP wants a user to do, so unless you can show where UPC state that this is allowed, don't post the explanation.

I've removed some posts there, but if anyone can show that UPC allow this, I'll reinstate them.

I did not cracked into the modem or obtained USER/PASS to get higher access etc, I have simply used a diagnostic tool, to get more information off the modem and my connection. I WONT post anything like this which may violate T&S from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are loads of legal valid diagnostic tools that can be used in a way that contravenes Irish Law or an ISPs T&C.

Accessing the ISP side of a cable Modem is almost certainly one of them. Describing to anyone how to do this can be breaking Irish Law.

I can't explain further, or I would be breaking the law. A TFTP server is a quite legal tool. Using one with a Cable modem is only for an ISP.

Theft of service or Enabling* Theft of Service is Criminal in Irish Law.

(*i.e. by describing tools, equipment or actions that would enable 3rd parties to steal a service).

Describe your tools & actions to UPC and post back their response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

UPC never answer de phone when i ring em! . all this 'press 1, please hold...

so I switched back to eircom!

watty wrote: »
    There are loads of legal valid diagnostic tools that can be used in a way that contravenes Irish Law or an ISPs T&C.

Accessing the ISP side of a cable Modem is almost certainly one of them. Describing to anyone how to do this can be breaking Irish Law.

I can't explain further, or I would be breaking the law. A TFTP server is a quite legal tool. Using one with a Cable modem is only for an ISP.

Theft of service or Enabling* Theft of Service is Criminal in Irish Law.

(*i.e. by describing tools, equipment or actions that would enable 3rd parties to steal a service).

Describe your tools & actions to UPC and post back their response :)

When I mentioned this to the girl on the phone, she didnt know what I was talking about :), so I thought its okay, but I rather dont ask them again :)

• Advertisement

Customer support would know nothing about this area. But I can forward your details to a technical manager in UPC if you like :) ? I know he understands this stuff.

Customer support would know nothing about this area. But I can forward your details to a technical manager in UPC if you like :) ? I know he understands this stuff.

No, It is not necessary. I wont post anything like this anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    Since this morning, the speed is back on normal, 9.8/0.98 megabit :confused:

I've logged in the modem's ISP side, and noticed that only me and someone else connecting, there were three of us previously, now, if the third guy connects back and my speed goes down to 2mb again I will now, that its HIM :D

Wait ? You initially said you were bypassing the router and connecting one comp to the modem directly? Now you see that it was the connection of a THRID person at the same time to the modem causing the slow down? If you bypassed the router as you say and used the comp on ethernet to the modem how is the second and third person connecting?????

hightower1 wrote: »
    Wait ? You initially said you were bypassing the router and connecting one comp to the modem directly? Now you see that it was the connection of a THRID person at the same time to the modem causing the slow down? If you bypassed the router as you say and used the comp on ethernet to the modem how is the second and third person connecting?????

No, It's not like that, I wasn't even 100% sure about what I've seen there, but just leave it, I'm not going to post anything like this, cause they may close this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Ah ok? was just wondering anyhow.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    Ah ok? was just wondering anyhow.

Okay.

Anyways, the call out is only 3 days away, hopefully they will sort out my problem, when it was working it was great and i don't want to change provider etc, so I will keep you guys posted.

Could you ask him if knows what the hell is happening off Cork Street in Dublin 8 re my "20 Mbs":)

No :)

That's a Customer Service Query.

I have no connection with UPC. In the past we discussed possible projects.

:)Thats what they all say.

Regulars know which competing ISP I used to work for.

No offence meant. Hope none taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jor el wrote: »
    I don't think this is something the ISP wants a user to do, so unless you can show where UPC state that this is allowed, don't post the explanation.

I've removed some posts there, but if anyone can show that UPC allow this, I'll reinstate them.
    FYI the post I made about accessing the admin page does not allow you to change ANY settings at all, it just gives you a lot more diagnostic information, which is largely useless to the untrained eye.

the only two things you can actually do in there is clear down the log file and test the phone line connected to it, assuming you have one. none of which are or can be destructive in any way.

not to mention that it's publicly available information. i found it myself on the net simply by searching for the name of the modem and the word 'admin' and most of the results on the first page tell you the same thing I said in my previous post.

if you don't want to leave the info up then fair enough, you're the boss, but you honestly couldn't do a scrap of harm with the information, even if you wanted to.

accessing the other side of the modem however is a different story altogether (legally speaking) and should probably be kept off an open forum, just to be on the safe side. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    FYI the post I made about accessing the admin page does not allow you to change ANY settings at all, it just gives you a lot more diagnostic information, which is largely useless to the untrained eye.

the only two things you can actually do in there is clear down the log file and test the phone line connected to it, assuming you have one. none of which are or can be destructive in any way.

not to mention that it's publicly available information. i found it myself on the net simply by searching for the name of the modem and the word 'admin' and most of the results on the first page tell you the same thing I said in my previous post.

if you don't want to leave the info up then fair enough, you're the boss, but you honestly couldn't do a scrap of harm with the information, even if you wanted to.

accessing the other side of the modem however is a different story altogether (legally speaking) and should probably be kept off an open forum, just to be on the safe side. :)

"Admin page" you talking about above is equal to what I've called the "ISP-side", and there was no option to modify anything there, It only gives you detailed connection information.

i keep meaning to call them again because whenever my broadband is getting used heavily my home phone (upc supplied, connected via the modem) doesn't ring when someone calls.

gos i wish i wasn't so lazy and impatient. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    Okay.

Anyways, the call out is only 3 days away, hopefully they will sort out my problem, when it was working it was great and i don't want to change provider etc, so I will keep you guys posted.

So did you get the callout in the end? is it all sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

dub45 wrote: »
    I am surprised that none of the other posters picked up on this lark.

This is a disgrace - a routine support call being referred to a premium number:rolleyes:

When this so called 'service' was first mooted several of us on here expressed concern about this type of referral.

It is ironic that UPC who are so specific in relation to customers complying with draconican terms and conditions do not feel under the same obligations themselves!

From the UPC webiste:

http://service.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=84

In this case the op had proven that there was nothing wrong with the pc in question.

Wonderful customer service - totally unnecessary referral to a premium number service and a no show!!

I wonder how many innocents are being referred to this premium number?

Cheers for that bit of t&c, gonna ram that down the throat of unlucky NTL monkey who rings me back after my cancellation request.

I had rang earlier about my shockingly poor speeds and after a half an hour of the numpty norman tryin to connect to my modem he eventually states there is nothing wrong with my modem so now i have to ring premium support to solve the issue, what a joke. Despite me explaining that i get the same god awful speeds on two diff computers, (only at peak times i might add) and no probs when using other connections elsewhere, all this chap could do was tell me it wasnt their fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Cheers for that bit of t&c, gonna ram that down the throat of unlucky NTL monkey who rings me back after my cancellation request.

I had rang earlier about my shockingly poor speeds and after a half an hour of the numpty norman tryin to connect to my modem he eventually states there is nothing wrong with my modem so now i have to ring premium support to solve the issue, what a joke. Despite me explaining that i get the same god awful speeds on two diff computers, (only at peak times i might add) and no probs when using other connections elsewhere, all this chap could do was tell me it wasnt their fault.

I really am astonished that this lark has not reached the media - its an absolute disgrace - people are obviously being referred to this number as a matter of routine. I can only imagine the outcry if Eircom were to try something like this. Roll on the Joe Duffy show finding out about this!!!

I really am astonished that this lark has not reached the media - its an absolute disgrace - people are obviously being referred to this number as a matter of routine. I can only imagine the outcry if Eircom were to try something like this. Roll on the Joe Duffy show finding out about this!!!

In fairness to the guy, i think he did agree that there was clearly nothing wrong with my equipment but nothing he could do, or so he said. I though we had some kind of regtel or telecomms regulator to do deal with shoddy practices, such as charging for a service and not providing it. Thing is will i get a better service from any one else?!

In fairness to the guy, i think he did agree that there was clearly nothing wrong with my equipment but nothing he could do, or so he said. I though we had some kind of regtel or telecomms regulator to do deal with shoddy practices, such as charging for a service and not providing it. Thing is will i get a better service from any one else?!
    We do have a Communications Regulator . Call them at 1890 229 668. They were interested in my upc story and the more the merrier might get something done.

We do have a Communications Regulator . Call them at 1890 229 668. They were interested in my upc story and the more the merrier might get something done.
    ah bless, you still believe in the tooth fairy! :)

sorry, couldn't resist. :o

seriously though, comreg either can't or won't do a thing, they never do. that number is more of an emotional support line for people who've been screwed over by telecoms companies. they'll sit and listen to you, but at the end of the day nothing will ever come of anything that goes through their doors.

seriously though, comreg either can't or won't do a thing, they never do. that number is more of an emotional support line for people who've been screwed over by telecoms companies. they'll sit and listen to you, but at the end of the day nothing will ever come of anything that goes through their doors.

You'll be telling me theres no Santa next.:)

Seriously, bitching in these forums won't get us anywhere though. What upc does understand is bad publicity, and be that word of mouth, getting told off on Joe Duffy or consumer complaints - let it roll. People aren't as easily parted with €42 these days. If upc are serious about rolling out 120 Mbs broadband and selling it, they'd need to display that first they can handle 20 Mbs. So far they're failing miserably.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to Comreg UPC running a premium number support line probably doesnt fall within their remit. However it is now obvious that customers are being referred to this number with a minimal effort to help solve their problem by the upc support people.

I don't believe that an ISP should be allowed to operate in this fashion - even if the operation was run absolutely scrupulously it would be difficult to avoid the perception that customers were being referred the premium number unnecessarily to put it kindly.

However there is probably no one to stop them. It would be very interesting though if it was to make the public airwaves to hear how many people have been referred unnecessarily.

It appears that there is no quality assurance - there is no information about the qualifications of the people manning the phones - there is no way of knowing in advance how much the call is going to cost and ironically enough the more one of the staff genuinely tries to help the more it is going to cost!

Who can someone contact in UPC for example if they find they have accumulated a large phone bill and that they should not have been referred to the premium number at all?

In fairness to Comreg UPC running a premium number support line probably doesnt fall within their remit. However it is now obvious that customers are being referred to this number with a minimal effort to help solve their problem by the upc support people.

I don't believe that an ISP should be allowed to operate in this fashion - even if the operation was run absolutely scrupulously it would be difficult to avoid the perception that customers were being referred the premium number unnecessarily to put it kindly.

However there is probably no one to stop them. It would be very interesting though if it was to make the public airwaves to hear how many people have been referred unnecessarily.

It appears that there is no quality assurance - there is no information about the qualifications of the people manning the phones - there is no way of knowing in advance how much the call is going to cost and ironically enough the more one of the staff genuinely tries to help the more it is going to cost!

Who can someone contact in UPC for example if they find they have accumulated a large phone bill and that they should not have been referred to the premium number at all?

Its enfuriating all right. The guy that i spoke to, said because my modem was working fine, thats all he could check, and that i was now being reffered to the premium number, i mean wtf, their free phone support only checks to see if your modem is working properly? And doesnt investigate issues any further such as congestion on the line.

I explained to the chap that I have two computers both get diff speeds depending on the time, my laptop works super fast on other proper networks, such as in DIT, DCU and literally anywhere else but on UPC, and said to him it is quite clearly not a problem with my hardware, he said yep makes sense alright, but all i can do is check is your modem working ok, and if it is then thats all i can help you with.

If UPC was a person, id kidnap them, make a hostage video and behead them on the interweb.:mad:

If UPC was a person, id kidnap them, make a hostage video and behead them on the interweb.:mad:
    you know, some people might consider that a bit, how would you say, "extreme" maybe? :pac:

not me though, do you need me to bring my camcorder and rusty blunt kitchen knife? :D

• Advertisement

cdb wrote: »
    So did you get the callout in the end? is it all sorted?

i was away so i had to reschedule this for tuesday.. so we will see. but i have to add something, my speed is back since friday evening, sometimes i loose the connection, very rare... sometimes the speed is super fast... 25mbps (yes true, and dont ask me whats happening:confused:) i did a speed test 10 mins ago...:eek: was getting 25mbps on eircom, smart, speedtest.net... downloading was super fast... now the connection is "normal" 9-10 MBPS... its crazy... all i want is 8-10mbps but constantly :D

Advertisement