Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Tech Support Nightmare!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My speed is back as well.
    What annoys me isnt the congestion itself- that affects every isp on earth from time to time. No, what drives me around the bend is the idiotic "customer support" that blames the customer and then tries to extort money from them for a half assed helpline....and this isn't over. Next time upc has a problem, its the same inept response we'll be getting from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

My speed is back as well.
    What annoys me isnt the congestion itself- that affects every isp on earth from time to time. No, what drives me around the bend is the idiotic "customer support" that blames the customer and then tries to extort money from them for a half assed helpline....and this isn't over. Next time upc has a problem, its the same inept response we'll be getting from them.

I know, It is bad... I clearly proved that the problem wasn't with me, and they kept referring me to the premium line... and again, I tested the connection via four different computers directly to the modem, they were all slow (and again THEY WERE OK ANYWHERE ELSE). How could that be our fault? :confused::confused:

By the way, the speed is back... so I will cancel the tech guy, hopefully it stays that way.

I seem to be ticking along nicely too. Thanks for listening to my grumping. I hope I don't have to trip over upc "support" anytime soon.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

vibe666 wrote: »
    i keep meaning to call them again because whenever my broadband is getting used heavily my home phone (upc supplied, connected via the modem) doesn't ring when someone calls.

gos i wish i wasn't so lazy and impatient. :(

Are you using UPCs own phone service, not an independent one?

I'm having awful trouble with UPCs supplied phone service the past fortnight or so - sometimes my phone doesn't ring at all in the house and the caller gets an engaged tone. Sometimes though, the caller will get an engaged tone but the phones DO ring in the house, and it usually requires two or three attempts to get through resulting in the house phones ringing two or three times before the caller is actually there when I pick up.

Also, perhaps related to the problem, I've noticed the LINK light on my modem now flashes constantly, as if there's traffic going through the cablemodem, but there is no traffic passing through the router box I have, in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

my link light is constantly blinking even when laptop is off, any clues as to what is causing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you're getting it too, then there is obviously something wrong up with UPCs own network. Hope they don't count the traffic as part of the Fair Usage Policy limit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

good point, I usually leave it on 24/7, maybe I should start turning off overnight.

It was the attitude and the ability of the support staff as well as being referred onto a premium rate phone line by upc that annoyed most of us.

By the way, my LINK light blinks constantly as well. Never gave it a second thought until now...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

vibe666 wrote: »
    you know, some people might consider that a bit, how would you say, "extreme" maybe? :pac:

not me though, do you need me to bring my camcorder and rusty blunt kitchen knife? :D

Can i borrow your internet connection too?! It just gets better... im not one for conspiracy theories, but since i rang up last weeking my modem has now shut up shop....

On monday the thing was working fine one minute, then all of a sudden bam, the recieve button starts flashing like a mo fo and no internet for me. Rang em up and re-sync the modem with server or something like that so the customer service dude said. I hang up and works for literally ten seconds.

Ring back and im told the modem is fcuked, need a tech guy to come out, cept the earliest appointment is Friday. Now, what i cant understand is how a modem packs up all of a sudden, i mean there are no internal moving parts, so how does wear and tear affect it like that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    ...Now, what i cant understand is how a modem packs up all of a sudden, i mean there are no internal moving parts, so how does wear and tear affect it like that?!

Its usually heat. Keep it somewhere cool, turn it off for a while, or point airflow at it somehow. Then see if it still does it. I had mine too close to my router and both run hot. So together they got even hotter.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Its usually heat. Keep it somewhere cool, turn it off for a while, or point airflow at it somehow. Then see if it still does it. I had mine too close to my router and bot run hot. So together they go too hot.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately i dont think thats the problem. Iv had it off since monday, only briefly turning it on to see what the crack is, but no joy. Iv had the thing for 3 years, as long as iv been with least worst bb provider of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

electronic components do degrade over time, capacitors, resistors, transistors etc can all burn out. nothing unusual about that.

Just had NTL chap out and wouldnt ya know it, the BB has gone and "fixed itself". Been gone since monday and had been checking every couple of hours since, and then turn it on this morning when the tech chap is here and magic, back on.

Apparently they were doing work in the area testing lines or whatever, so nout wrong with the modem, despite the wise opinion of tech support. Asked him how the fook didnt customer service know about this and he was like, well to be honest we dont always tell them whats going on. :rolleyes:, whatever the reason for that maybe.

This work will also apparently fix the probs Iv been getting regards my non existent peak time 20 megs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Just had NTL chap out and wouldnt ya know it, the BB has gone and "fixed itself". Been gone since monday and had been checking every couple of hours since, and then turn it on this morning when the tech chap is here and magic, back on.

Apparently they were doing work in the area testing lines or whatever, so nout wrong with the modem, despite the wise opinion of tech support. Asked him how the fook didnt customer service know about this and he was like, well to be honest we dont always tell them whats going on. :rolleyes:, whatever the reason for that maybe.

This work will also apparently fix the probs Iv been getting regards my non existent peak time 20 megs.

Its been the same for years! How hard would it be for CSR's to have a work schedule for reference?:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    Its been the same for years! How hard would it be for CSR's to have a work schedule for reference?:rolleyes:

Thing is last time i was on the phone to them, i could hear another csr on the phone to the custoemr saying work was taking place in her area, and i asked my rep was this happening in my area to which i was told, 'nope, there isnt..'.

Not to go on an on! But since monday they must have rang 5 times with an autumated message to confirm my callout.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

so does tech support still suck after all this?

Depends how you define tech support, or rather NTL! Is it a) the 'tech' support you meet on the 1908 number, b) the dudes charing a yo yo a minute on the premium number, or c) the chaps driving around in upc vans.:D

a) is suspect, b) i will never ring, not even if my modem is on fire.. and c) well he didnt have to do much just bashed a few buttons and said he'd call on tuesday to see if its still working and check my speed, so jury still out.

What i will finally add though, who is the bell end that decided it would be a good idea to try and pawn extra services onto customers who are ringing up to complain about problems with their services, hardly the best time to upsell to customers!

Its a classic case of the one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Phone support is useless if its a upc problem, the premium line is a money making racket and the guys in the vans just go where they're told. UPC are too busy selling to potential customers to really give a damn about existing ones.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I think they are very good, anytime I had any issues they were sorted within 24 hours and they would always credit my account, granted it was only a couple of cent but still you won't find many other companies that would do that off their own bat.

Advertisement