Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Ask around or have a look at your college's website to see if anyone's giving grinds in that topic.
    thanks,must check that out....my brother is an accountant but he lives in london:(...i know there is a grind system over in the I.T. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

i know there is a grind system over in the I.T. cheers

What's a grind system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

What's a grind system ?
    i really should have checked it out before now but its basically just a list of 3rd and 4th year students who have grades above b-,offering grinds in different subjects.... their names,contact details and relevant subjects are listed in a section of the college website called "grinds system" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hi,

Sorry, I haven't been in here in a while. What with exams and the general mayhem of the first semester back, it's been pretty hectic!

I passed all my exams though, so happy days.

I'm doing the B. Ed. in St Pat's, so if anyone has any question regarding that course, personal statements, application etc. etc. or on mature student info in general, just ask.

I know it's a bit late, and the post grad has started already, but the B. Ed. and B.A. applications will be opening soon.

I'll do what I can:D

JC

PS Larianne well done on your exams:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Best of Luck to everyone doing exams!!!

Tomorrow is my last exam....

then Hello 3rd year! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Larianne wrote: »
    Best of Luck to everyone doing exams!!!

Tomorrow is my last exam....

then Hello 3rd year! :D

Good luck tomorrow!

My last one is Monday, then it's also Hello 3rd year! (unless something goes horribly wrong...!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm basking in this moment as i've no exams, but come september I'm back to first year. Best of luck to all :)

Will wrote: »
    I'm basking in this moment as i've no exams, but come september I'm back to first year. Best of luck to all :)

Make the most of this summer...this time next year you'll be cursing college with its exams and assignments! :p

What will you be studying?

Hopefully general and paediatric nursing, relatively good chance of getting it. If I don't I'll be offered general nursing. I'm yet to be offered a place via the CAO mature student section but scored pretty well and figured out I'd be offered a place purely on numbers.

Well I passed all my exams. Won't get my final result until I complete placement in September. Kinda a bummer coz I want to know now but anyways, I passed. \0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i'm getting the brickin it thing at the moment. all the places i interviewed with told me round a cao offers were out on july 6th!!! which is A, getting UNBEARABLY close and B, my birthday!!!:eek::eek:

i am getting the serious jitters, the did i make the right choice, am i sure i want to go back to college, can i handle this, will i get btea, will i be able to afford it, depending on where i get in will i have to move, will i get my top choice. the list is endless.

PANIC!!!

Gettin close here too, was offered a job down in cork but im sticking to my guns. Hopefully it's the right decision :)

Will wrote: »
    Gettin close here too, was offered a job down in cork but im sticking to my guns. Hopefully it's the right decision :)

here's hoping for ya. i won't be getting my first choice so i am a bit bummed today now. wish it wasn't monday, end of my week and general mondayness not helping. add to that the flu i have right now :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Anyone else getting scared by the prospect of 4 years of study as a mature student???? I left my job last July and part of me can't help thinking about what I gave up???? People are saying 'oh it will fly in' and 'its a brave decision' but I can't help feeling a bit anxious about it all? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! July 6th is so close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ithread wrote: »
    Anyone else getting scared by the prospect of 4 years of study as a mature student???? I left my job last July and part of me can't help thinking about what I gave up???? People are saying 'oh it will fly in' and 'its a brave decision' but I can't help feeling a bit anxious about it all? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! July 6th is so close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

most deffo starting to brick it. i am like 'am i sure this is the right decision' (it is!), 'did i choose the right course' etc. i think that is just our brains trying to wig us out cos it is (in my opinion, not trying to offend anyone) a much bigger jump/decision/whatever for a maturie going back to college than a LC student. i mean i studied childcare after my LC. i wasn't half as scared/stressed etc. it was like if i didn't end up liking it or whatever it wasn't the end of the world. and i didn't end up sticking with it. but as a mature student, possibly having a family, coming out of a job or redundancy etc with a lot more life commitments it is a bigger decision and a bigger leap.

i am looking forward to it a lot too tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Thanks hdowney

Its great to know others feel the same at times! Some days I'm like 'oh no' and then others I just can't wait!!! I guess its just the financial side of things that scares me more!

Good luck when the offers come around!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

HI Guys,

I'm the same as you guys I'm 31 and going back to do Midwifery in Sep, Ive already been to college so that side doesn't worry me too much as long as I keep focused and stay on top of study it should go well but the financial side is tough and a real worry as I will have to find a part-time job as well. Best of luck to you all for the offers.

the financial side is my biggest worry yes. it scares me.

but i am also worried about applying myself properly. it has been a few years since i had to apply myself properly (getting up on time, doing stuff by set time etc). i might be able to stay at home (depending on which college i get into) so the mother will hopefully be a sense of support (small nudges in the right direction, not nagging!), but if i have to move it will be all me. i am sure i will be fine but i can't help worrying about it. i don't want to get swamped and be unable to dig myself out :(

I suggest people look for positions as "relief staff" wherever they can e.g nurse on call. There's a lot of paperwork originally, you've to pay for your manual handling etc but hopefully get a bit of work out of it.

Financial side is worrying also, I saved for the last year and a half. Have first year sorted, so hopefully can work through the year to pay for the following years. I've to pay full fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EricC

JCDUB wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry, I haven't been in here in a while. What with exams and the general mayhem of the first semester back, it's been pretty hectic!

I passed all my exams though, so happy days.

I'm doing the B. Ed. in St Pat's, so if anyone has any question regarding that course, personal statements, application etc. etc. or on mature student info in general, just ask.

I know it's a bit late, and the post grad has started already, but the B. Ed. and B.A. applications will be opening soon.

I'll do what I can:D

JC

PS Larianne well done on your exams:cool:

Hi JCDUB,

So glad I've found somebody doing the course I'm planning on doing next year.

Do you mind if I ask do you have to pay fees? as I believe I will have to as I have already completed a level 8 course.

Is there any financial assistance for somebody like myself.

Also was it difficult to get in? I have to repeat the Irish leaving next summer.

Looking forward to your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Well done Will I'm lucky as a family member is willing to pay my fees now and I will pay them back after im qualified (full fees) but i will still have to work part-time to cover rent, food, travel etc... Its a stresser but i have a great BF and other family and friends to lean on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

ithread wrote: »

I am really scared about coming back to study! I have been accepted to do arts in UCC , 4 years..... I live over an hour from Cork which means I am going to drive every day. Moving is not an option as I am a single mother and my daughter goes to school where we live now. I worry about everything: studying , money, organising myself every day etc etc so I was happy when I read your thread and to know that there is other mature students as freaked out as I am ... but I am also VERY excited and happy cause it feels like at last I am following my dreams. Good luck to all :-)))

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

I got accepted at NUIG for a 4 year course in engineering!

Of course its daunting for any mature person to go back to education but for some of use there is no other option.

O prepared myself by undertaking a foundation certificate in science and engineering as well as a couple of FAS courses in web development. This helped to prepare me for what lies ahead.

Good luck and be confident! Lots of hard work, but it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ronnie25

yeah im off to letterkenny it
    there in september
    freaked out a bit im only 25
    but worried about the age clash with the majority of kids about

ronnie25 wrote: »
    there in september

I was 24 when I started in NUIG. Turns out there were loads of people around my age in my classes. I imagine it's much the same all over the country ;)

ronnie25 wrote: »
    there in september

From experience and seeing other people have that type of mindset - don't think of them as kids. You are already putting a barrier up between yourself and 'them'. I started back at college when I was 26 and I was amazed by the maturity of some of my classmates... I certainly wasn't that mature when I was 18/19.

Go, have fun, enjoy college. Throw yourself into it. It's the only way! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ronnie25

yeah your right
    sure was chattin away there to a few blokes doing the same thing there the other night
    i was lookin up there and 23 percent or something are mature students
    so ill be grand after a few nights out with em

Starting in UCD in September. Cannot wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

HI Maturies.....just a little note of encouragement to you all!! You will be fine:D I returned this year to start a 3year degree course in Athlone after completing my leaving cert 10years ago!! it's completely different to what I did after school and the points for the course would have been way above my abilities in the leaving cert which made me think I wouldn't be able to do the new subjects. just passed my summer exams. I felt the exact same as you all do, it is a big scary decision to go back, but so far its worth it. I couldn't sleep, so nervous the few days before and the not knowing if I would be able for it, was so stressful!!!! Walking in that first morning not knowing where to go had me sick to the stomach But you know what, it was the best decision I have ever made. The college had fellow students out and about to help the 1st years with directions and any other questions in general. the lecturers are welcoming and will help if they can- even if they are not your lecturers!! Attend the tours and the welcome meeting from the student unions...freebies and good advice. there are allot of matures on my course, even though it was only meant to be 5 and in fact the college itself had allot more then I taught so its comforting!!
    You will be broke but such is life in college...you learn to adapt and when you do get cash you appreciate it more!! Anyway enough ranting from me, best of luck to you all and I bet in a year you'll look back on this forum and laugh and post a comment like me..I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi EricC,

I got offered a place on the B.Ed in St. Pats too......in the thick of trying to sort out finances now....stress!!! I'm applying for the grant, although reckon it's a total long-shot.....my worry is the fees!! Have been saving but not enough to pay fees and support myself and a mortgage!!

Was totally hyper about receiving the offer and branching off into something totally different, that I just didn't get the points for first time around (about 16 years ago!!) but now the harsh reality of general survival has kicked in and I'm wondering if I'll be able to manage.

Feel a bit better having read this thread as we all appear to be in the same boat and doing our best to stay positive.

Is there anyone out there who's done the B.Ed in Pats as a Maturie......what are the hours/workload like in 1st year....is it feasible to work part-time (W/ends and odd evening during the week...if I can get a part-time job that is!!)

Thanks,
    Tulip11

Advertisement