Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing basil

Options
  • 16-07-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi ,I am growing basil at the moment and I was wondering if it is a good herb to freeze , i hope to grow enough to have a supply for winter, and am unsure if it would be better to make pesto and freeze it ? or if i can just freeze the leaves, I have tried a few leaves and they seem to be turning out a bit black

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I think basil is supposed to be ok if you freeze it in ice cubes rather than in a whole bunch, though its never been successful for me. I think because its a soft herb it doesn't keep well, so you're probably better off doing the pesto thing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would make pesto and keep it under oil in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

freeze some a then defrost it think it would probably not take very well to it and go slimy and yuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

I freeze it in a bag and go back the next day and bash it down to smithereens. Great for a pizza in the depths of winter.

(Just don't leave the bag on the counter while you're faffing about - straight back in the freezer)

And I agree with Snow-Monkey, full leaves go slimy.

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I've always frozen basil, no problems at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 diywoman

ok think i will go the pesto route with a small amount frozen ...thanks .......now does anyone know an easy recipe for pesto, given that cooking is not one of my talents !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You can freeze basil without it really affecting the taste, but it does look crap, so you can only really use the frozen stuff in sauces.

As for pesto, it's pretty much foolproof.

Ingredients
    Enough basil to fill the bowl of your food processor
    Cupful of pine nuts
    200g grated parmesan, to start
    Best olive oil you can afford
    Black pepper to season

Method
    Blitz the basil, pine nuts and parmesan in the food processor.

Lower the speed to the slowest possible, open the chute and begin to drizzle the olive oil in until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.

Season with black pepper, give another quick blitz, then taste and add more cheese/adjust the seasoning as desired. I generally find you don't need to add salt as the parmesan is salty enough.

Dish into sterilised jars, top with another spoonful of olive oil and keep in the fridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Advertisement