Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour being unreasonable??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

whizzbang wrote: »
    You have to adapt and be reasonable to your surroundings. Expecting 100% quiet when you are living in an apartment block is unreasonable when it has the Irish build quality. Similarly, rocking out until 4am is also unreasonable.
    In my experience Ireland could do with a lot more "moaners". Whenever I hear someone complain about their overly sensitive neighbour if I push them on it then they were just "having a few friends over for drinks" and only "about once a week". People living in apartments think nothing of having 10 friends over with drinks and music until 2am at night. Obviously after 10pm their perception of the level of noise they're generating is completely skewed.

I've had to deal with neighbours who would literally make the walls shake with music on a weeknight. At best you can get them to tone it down slightly for about 10 minutes.

10:30 is not early on a weeknight. Someone might easily go to bed at that time in the hopes of being asleep by 11 and getting 8 hours sleep to be up at 7am. I don't know if the OP is used to apartment living but he just has to learn that having a chat with some friends on his balcony is actually pretty damn noisy for his neighbours and he has to keep it to a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

sharper wrote: »
    In my experience Ireland could do with a lot more "moaners". Whenever I hear someone complain about their overly sensitive neighbour if I push them on it then they were just "having a few friends over for drinks" and only "about once a week". People living in apartments think nothing of having 10 friends over with drinks and music until 2am at night. Obviously after 10pm their perception of the level of noise they're generating is completely skewed.

Well, feel free to push me on this. This is actually the first time we had guests over since we moved in. There were 2 guests. The music was a piano solo album on low playing in the living room, barely audible from the patio. Part-tay.
    10:30 is not early on a weeknight. Someone might easily go to bed at that time in the hopes of being asleep by 11 and getting 8 hours sleep to be up at 7am. I don't know if the OP is used to apartment living but he just has to learn that having a chat with some friends on his balcony is actually pretty damn noisy for his neighbours and he has to keep it to a reasonable hour.

I'm been living in apartments for 17 years; I guess that is used to apartment living? In all that time, this is the first time anyone has ever complained to me about noise. If you're used to apartment living, you are used to some level of noise simply because you are living with stone's throw of dozens of other people; generally speaking, apartments are based in the city centre where you're going to get both traffic noise and noise from late-night pedestrians.

As for 10.30 not being early, but sorry, it is. If someone has to go to bed at that time because they have a long commute, well, commiserations, but it's not my fault. In my last job, I hate a long commute and used to get home at 7.30pm. I'm well used to have to get to sleep early sometimes, and guess what? I was a bit proactive about it and, for one thing, shut the (soundproof for a reason) windows to keep the noise out.

Your solution seems to be to throw the baby out with the bathwater; that, because, somewhere, a bunch of skangers are holding late-night parties til 2am, that we should stop adults having dinner on their own patio at night.

Feck it, one more reason to emigrate to a civilised country; coming back from Rome, the idea that a few adults dining al fresco at night is noise pollution would be enough to get you committed.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Its clearly a case that for many in this country apartment living is a relatively new experience. Lets be realistic if you live in an apartment you have to expect that some level of noise will be aparant due to the proximity of your neighbours.

Nobody here can say weather the request to turn it down was reasonable or not because nobody on here heard how audible the music was or the conversation. Which could be relatively loud if a few bottles of vino were polished off durin the dining.

We have all been in the place where we thought we were being quite but due to sked perceptiosn with a little drink on us.

That said in general if things were minimal it would be in my view an unreasonable request. I wouldnt lose any sleep over the complaint anyway if you pardon the pun :P

D3PO wrote: »
    Which could be relatively loud if a few bottles of vino were polished off durin the dining.

1 between 4 people, honest (we deep-freezed the 2nd one accidentally...).

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Well, feel free to push me on this. This is actually the first time we had guests over since we moved in. There were 2 guests. The music was a piano solo album on low playing in the living room, barely audible from the patio. Part-tay.
    I'm not specifically referring to you - you already mentioned you had people over and were outside. I suspect the issue was with the chatter rather than the music. Once a bunch of people getting chatting it gets loud fast.
    As for 10.30 not being early, but sorry, it is. If someone has to go to bed at that time because they have a long commute, well, commiserations, but it's not my fault. In my last job, I hate a long commute and used to get home at 7.30pm. I'm well used to have to get to sleep early sometimes, and guess what? I was a bit proactive about it and, for one thing, shut the (soundproof for a reason) windows to keep the noise out.
    Shutting the window would have been a good start but then you don't know that person's history is with the occupants of your apartment.

As for 10:30 being late or early - whatever your bedtime happens to be doesn't define late or early. Expecting to be up at 7am in the morning with 8 hours sleep is perfectly reasonable and doesn't require a particularly long commute or shift work. I'm up 7:15 every morning and get into work by 8:30 to finish at 5. Hardly a crazy schedule by any means.
    Your solution seems to be to throw the baby out with the bathwater; that, because, somewhere, a bunch of skangers are holding late-night parties til 2am, that we should stop adults having dinner on their own patio at night.

Feck it, one more reason to emigrate to a civilised country; coming back from Rome, the idea that a few adults dining al fresco at night is noise pollution would be enough to get you committed.

P.
    Your attitude on all this is pretty aggressive. You were probably louder than you expected and your neighbour probably had a ****ty day and just wanted to get some sleep.

• Advertisement

Your attitude on all this is pretty aggressive. You were probably louder than you expected and your neighbour probably had a ****ty day and just wanted to get some sleep.

Yeah, I get annoyed when I'm continually accused of lying. Go figure, eh?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Yeah, I get annoyed when I'm continually accused of lying. Go figure, eh?

P.
    I didn't accuse you of lying - I said that typically when people complain about their sensitive neighbors there are usually important details missing from the story. In your case I think you just don't realise how loud you were being and/or the previous people in your apartment used to be really loud. If you get so annoyed at the merest hint of a slight upon you good luck to your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hym sorry to go a bit off topic here but there is a pub across the road where i live that regularly has loud parties on the weekend. Last Saturday for example i was kept awake to 3.30 am. Am i within my rights to have to place close? I live in a predominantly residential area...this place is the only noise at night..no one else is really awake at these times.

You can object at the circuit court the next time their licence is up for renewal. There is also the issue of trading outside their hours, not sure of who to contact about this. I think the Gardai willl deal with a lock in, but it will be at the bottom of a long list on a Saturday night. But once you've called the station and the call is logged then the local super, or who ever deals with licences, will have words with them if it happens often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

OP i new someone in flat onetime who lioved above antoher flat into which a new tenant moved. The tenant complained about the noise of partys(of which he was right to do) but then he started complaing about everything eg chairs moving during the day, people talking then he would apologise for complaing and then complain again. He was either a nutter or looking for attention maybe your neighbour is like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

typically when people complain about their sensitive neighbors there are usually important details missing from the story. I

Agreed. Im always amazed how nonobjective people can be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

From someone who has experienced the extreme end of noise pollution from noisy neighbours (mad parties lasting 24 hours with major bass beat thumping through the walls) - thankfully in the past now- a few low voices at 10.30pm doesn't sound like much- OP - you have stated that this was more a once off than ongoing- as a once off or very irregular happening I wouldn't object but if it happened regularly, I probably would be annoyed at 10.30pm- people don;t really want to listen to others at that hour of the night - it is about give and take, but it's on both sides this give and take has to happen- its also how things can escalate quickly to more serious disputes.
    Saying that, if someone is throw cig buts on my patio, then all bets are off- out with the sub woofer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

I am surprised at the number of people who think its ok to let others away with unacceptable noise levels past 10 or 11pm. Rules are rules at the end of the day and we all have to abide by them to get along in apartment living.

Just wondering does anyone have any advice.. Our Neighbours have recently just moved in we think.. They seem to wake us up at least 2 or 3 times a week at this stage. Either by playing low bass music or doing such things as turning the washing machine on at 3 or 4 am/heel wearing etc. They seem to sleep during the day and hang out and watch tv at night and listen to music. The cops have been called for them to turn off music before when they had a good few people over, complaints made to managment company etc. To be honest they look like scumbags from eastern europe and am convinced something dodgy is going on in apartment.

The rent is very expensive, landlord won't drop it and to be honest i think that its nonsense we should have to put up with this behaviour. Surely the managment company should have a legal right to either make steps to get the tenents evicted/cooperate with the rules or we could break lease and receive deposit back.

Before anyone tells me to chill i have lived in apts. for years, i am in my late 20's. Personally i think its ignorance of the highest order to make noise after 11 from sunday night till Fri afternoon. I think its fair enough to give people alittle slack on Fri & Sat night but still be respectful. I also think if they want to make loads of noise up until 10pm then thats fair enough. What to do, what to do..

micko2009 wrote: »
    To be honest they look like scumbags from eastern europe and am convinced something dodgy is going on in apartment.

They seem to wake us up at least 2 or 3 times a week at this stage. Either by playing low bass music or doing such things as turning the washing machine on at 3 or 4 am/heel wearing etc.

Before anyone tells me to chill i have lived in apts. for years, i am in my late 20's. Personally i think its ignorance of the highest order to make noise after 11 from sunday night till Fri afternoon. ..

seriously your the one that seems to be ignorant. They look like scumbags ... and your convinced they are doing something dodgy ? why because they probably work shifts and as a result dont conform to your cosy little conveneinces.

so what your saying is because they work shifts they should take time off work to wash their clothes at a time that suits you or should wear dirty clothes, and they shouldnt be allowed to wear heels in their apartment because it annoys you.

fair enough the bassey music but the rest is just absolute rubbish. If you cant handle leaving in your neighbours pocket go move to the countryside

seriously your the one that seems to be ignorant. They look like scumbags ... and your convinced they are doing something dodgy ? why because they probably work shifts and as a result dont conform to your cosy little conveneinces.

so what your saying is because they work shifts they should take time off work to wash their clothes at a time that suits you or should wear dirty clothes, and they shouldnt be allowed to wear heels in their apartment because it annoys you.

fair enough the bassey music but the rest is just absolute rubbish. If you cant handle leaving in your neighbours pocket go move to the countryside

:rolleyes: For a start mate don't know why you made the correlation between shift workers and scumbags?!? My point is rent is high, they don't seem to work at all, day or night, have seen some seriously dodgy looking people enter apt. I am not stupid and don't give me all that PC rubbish.

I think you would be in the vast minority on your opinion there.. I doubt you would be ok with being woken up a couple of times a week with music and various noise.. I am a heavy enough sleeper but this is proper noise, deep bass, washing machine very loud, moving chairs at 3 and 4 am, enough noise to wake you out of a deep sleep.

If for example i was a shift worker i wouldn't start making noise in an apartment where everyone works standard hours, not only is it common sense, it also is against the rules by management.. Everyone has to sign these rules before moving in, if you don't abide by them then you don't belong there.

All i am saying is it boils down to respect and i will happily comment on someones class by how they behave around others.. They seem to be the only people making noise in the complex without a care .

My concern really isn't really with you and couldn't care less what you think but i wanted to hear other peoples advice if they had a similar problem. I wanted to know if people had experience with breaking a lease due to managment company/landlord of noisy neighbours doing nothing over problem. Cheers

?!? My point is rent is high, they don't seem to work at all, day or night, have seen some seriously dodgy looking people enter apt. I am not stupid and don't give me all that PC rubbish.

how do you know weather they work or not ? Unless of course your in your apartment 24/7 :rolleyes:

I think you would be in the vast minority on your opinion there.. I doubt you would be ok with being woken up a couple of times a week with music and various noise.. I am a heavy enough sleeper but this is proper noise, deep bass, washing machine very loud, moving chairs at 3 and 4 am, enough noise to wake you out of a deep sleep.

I dont think I would be in the minority here actually, but you are right I wouldnt be ok with being woken up a couple of times a week, so guess what ... yes you got it I own a house not an apartment with paperthin walls :rolleyes:

So yes I do practice what I preach if your not able to handle noise (and i mean general day to day living noise i.e washing machines, electic showers etc not loud music) which lets be honest you are going to get when you have people living above and below you not to mind at either side of you then your not a fit for apartment living.

If for example i was a shift worker i wouldn't start making noise in an apartment where everyone works standard hours, not only is it common sense, it also is against the rules by management.. Everyone has to sign these rules before moving in, if you don't abide by them then you don't belong there.

show me any set of managment rules that say you cant walk in your apartment with heels on after a certain hour, or that you cant use your washing maching after a certian hour.

they dont exist.

how do you know weather they work or not ? Unless of course your in your apartment 24/7 :rolleyes:

I dont think I would be in the minority here actually, but you are right I wouldnt be ok with being woken up a couple of times a week, so guess what ... yes you got it I own a house not an apartment with paperthin walls :rolleyes:

So yes I do practice what I preach if your not able to handle noise (and i mean general day to day living noise i.e washing machines, electic showers etc not loud music) which lets be honest you are going to get when you have people living above and below you not to mind at either side of you then your not a fit for apartment living.

Wow, congrats you own a whole HOUSE.. Very impressive :eek:

Ok enough out of you now.. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts, i am looking for advice not retarded back chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

I think you are unreasonable and thoughtless if you think 10.30 is a suitable time
    to yack and play music even low in such an environment.
    As sure as god made little green apples your day will come when someone will piss you off in exactly the same way and you'll fail to understand that they're only doing what you're doing now.

Ok enough out of you now.. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts, i am looking for advice not retarded back chat.

Ive given you advise. If you are not prepared to accept day to day living noise your not suited to living in an apartment. you should try and find somewhere else to live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

I think you've displayed how unreasonable and intolerant you are with your reply above. It doesn't do much for your side of the argument that when some one else puts forward some good point about the nature of apartment living you brand it "retarded back chat". Sums it all up for me!

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    I think you've displayed how unreasonable and intolerant you are with your reply above. It doesn't do much for your side of the argument that when some one else puts forward some good point about the nature of apartment living you brand it "retarded back chat". Sums it all up for me!

I don't see that i am being unreasonable, i don't think that i should have to explain and dissect each of my points to D3PO. i wanted advice on what to do not a debate, remember i along with the other rule abiding residents are not in the wrong here. So far the advice i have gotten is you live in an apt. so having sleepless nights is a given. Like it or Lump it.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to own my own HOUSE, so i will have to do with my paperthin walled apartment?!? Thats a very smug attitude to have on his part. I think its complete nonsense that because i live in apartment i shouldn't be given the same respect as someone living in a house.

BTW as said before i have lived in apts. for a number of years, this is the first one i have had problems with.
    We have been in this apartment for nearly a year now, the noisy neighbours only moved in two months ago.. Why should we be the ones to live with it when clearly they are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

show me any set of managment rules that say you cant walk in your apartment with heels on after a certain hour, or that you cant use your washing maching after a certian hour.

they dont exist.

In my apartment complex, when the management company send around circulars, usually twice a year, they highlight the rules again, which state no washing machines to be on after 11pm, and this is standard in apartments.

the other rule abiding residents are not in the wrong here. So far the advice i have gotten is you live in an apt. so having sleepless nights is a given. Like it or Lump it.

thats not whats said thats what you have decided to read, nobody is saying you should have to put up with loud music after a certain hours expecially during the week.

What Im saying is if your complaining about things as trivial as hearing somebodies heels and its keeping you awake your clearly not suited to living in an apartment. now weather that be a case of you being a light sleeper or what it doesnt matter.

The fact is you cant expect to live in an apartment and for it to be like a library.

Im not being smart im being realistic here, and I think your being unrealistic. Like I said for all you know the washing macthing going in the early hours could be because they work shifts and its the only time they can do the laundry. Thats not inconsiderate its a fact of life.

If I wanted to be smart Id tell you to go buy earplugs

In my apartment complex, when the management company send around circulars, usually twice a year, they highlight the rules again, which state no washing machines to be on after 11pm, and this is standard in apartments.

I love the way people assume just because their complex does something a certain way, that it is the norm everywhere?? :rolleyes:

On a

well you learn something new every day. Id never heard of that before and I know plenty of people living in apartments.

In my opinion thats a rediculous rule that has no consideration for those working shift patters,

What next ? No snoring :eek:

I love the way people assume just because their complex does something a certain way, that it is the norm everywhere?? :rolleyes:

On a

Not an assumption, as have lived in other apartments, which had the same "curfew".

well you learn something new every day. Id never heard of that before and I know plenty of people living in apartments.

In my opinion thats a rediculous rule that has no consideration for those working shift patters,

What next ? No snoring :eek:

The next one would probably be no noisy sex :P

On another note, the legality of these so called "House Rules", are quite laughable. How are these enforced?? Especially for people who own the apartment? It seems the entire country has turned into a bunch of old women with nothing better to do other than complain, despite the fact that they too probably make noise without even knowing it, the only difference is the person living below them isn't as much of a moaner!

I'm not specifically talking about late night music. But complaining about walking in an apartment and performing household tasks is a joke! We live in a 24 hour world now, get used to it.

On another note, the legality of these so called "House Rules", are quite laughable. How are these enforced?? Especially for people who own the apartment? It seems the entire country has turned into a bunch of old women with nothing better to do other than complain, despite the fact that they too probably make noise without even knowing it, the only difference is the person living below them isn't as much of a moaner!

I'm not specifically talking about late night music. But complaining about walking in an apartment and performing household tasks is a joke! We live in a 24 hour world now, get used to it.

As written above, it is not an assumption, as have lived in apartments before - also, it is the management company who set the regulations, and this has to be signed before purchasing too. I am lucky where I am, as have decent neighbours.

• Advertisement

As written above, it is not an assumption, as have lived in apartments before - also, it is the management company who set the regulations, and this has to be signed before purchasing too. I am lucky where I am, as have decent neighbours.

My question is what can they do about it? Answer: Nothing!

Advertisement