Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour being unreasonable??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

techdiver wrote: »
    On another note, the legality of these so called "House Rules", are quite laughable. How are these enforced?? .

Thing is people dont own their apartments they just have long leases on them usual 125 years or longer.

in terms of enforcing them i dont think that what people are looking for, they want to know what is considered reasonable in terms of general noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The next one would probably be no noisy sex :P

back to the prudish fifties with us all :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

D3PO wrote: »
    back to the prudish fifties with us all :D:D
    we're already there

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Three women together not making much noise? Thats gotta be a first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with the neighbour, I have been putting up with this for nearly 5 years.... if it's quiet in the area you live, then noise travels, ie if there is no traffic noise etc then the noise of three people just downstairs would sound as if it is in your apt.

Iwould say if they were sitting downstairs outside it was obviously a warm evening, so was the neighbour not entitled to let some air into their apt? I agree, live and let live, but if you go to bed early, why should you have to stay up late to allow your neighbour to finish their evening before opening your window?

My neighbours have been hell since moving into our apt, they come home at all hours from nightclubs and are out on the balcony above our bedroom (and our childs) shouting etc.... unfortunately it's the way the buildings are built and it doesn't help anyone. But my opinion is if you know it is annoying your neighbours then you shouldn't be doing it...... it's equally not their fault that the buildings are badly soundproofed as yours, so the only reasonable reaction is to not annoy your neighbours. Nobody signed up to live above a pub or a nightclub, they signed up to live quietly in their own home, so noise after 9pm is absolutely a no no as far as I am concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Not being funny but maybe it was the company. Some people have extemely irritating voices and loud ones too and friends and family can be oblivious to it.
    Just monitor it yourself on the bus or in a restaurant....

Also. I am extrememly noise sensitive... ears like a bat and sometimes the slightest noise no matter how reasonable it may be... is like a dripping tap... annoying and irritating

I would kill them with kindness though. Knock into the neighbour and apologise for disturbing them. Explain that you dont' feel you were being loud but regret disturbing them all the same.

It should make them feel silly and hinder them from FREELY complaining in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To get back the OP, the neighbour is over reacting.
    Maybe your wife or friends have a very irrating voice or laugh though.

Have worked nights and all sorts of shifts and put up with all sorts of hassle.
    Sitting outside at 10:30pm doesn't seem bad at all

On Sunday nights I tend to put my washing machine on around 11pm and go to bed.
    And have the neighbour below me moaning the spin cycle wakes them up. And drying cycle too. For the rent I pay, I couldn't care less.
    It's not like I'm playing music. Plus electricity is cheaper at night so it makes sense to use the dryer then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Electricity's only cheaper at night if it's hooked up to a night meter,Ii've never seen those hooked up to anything except storage heaters, then again I could be wrong.
    Either way that's a bit ****ty, I dunno what the legal time is but definitely I imagine 11pm's a good time to stop making noise so others can sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

mikemac wrote: »
    And have the neighbour below me moaning the spin cycle wakes them up. And drying cycle too. For the rent I pay, I couldn't care less.
    Nice attitude.

I didn't realise low rent meant you get disturb everyone around you. Washing machines running in the middle of the night are extremely loud in an apartment block, even more if you have a water pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair enough, I didn't realise I couldn't run my washing machine at hours that don't suit my neighbour. :o

Guess I'll take off my shoes and tiptoe on the wooden floor too

Come on, I'm not playing music, just putting on a washing machine and going to bed.
    I'm be mortified if a neighbour complained about me having late night parties, but using a washing machine??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Compared to my current neighbours OP you sound like you are quiet as a mouse. Renting in East Wall and there is one extended family who live about 8 doors up. None of them work so they spend their day out on the street talking loudly between themselves and regularly scream at their kids using foul language or just to tell them dinner is ready. I'm out of East Wall at the end of the month never to return!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

mikemac wrote: »
    Come on, I'm not playing music, just putting on a washing machine and going to bed.
    I'm be mortified if a neighbour complained about me having late night parties, but using a washing machine??
    I don't know why you think whether you're actively or recreationally making the noise makes a difference. What matters is the amount of noise and when you make it.

In all likelihood you'd be shocked how loud it sounds to your neighbour. Washing machines on their spin cycle vibrate a lot and that's happening right over their head.

The fact that you've created all these rationalisations like your low rent or the fact you're not having a party makes me think you just don't give a crap. You feel entitled to run your washing machine at night and you really don't care who it disturbs.

Which is partly why I could never recommend apartment living to anyone in this country. Odds are they'll be in earshot of at least one "investment" rented out to students (and consequently have their walls jumping at 2am with parties), a couple with the "occasional" party (which between them means they're listening to at least one per week) and then a whole bunch more who either don't know how loud they are or don't care.

Advertisement