Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Cassell signs $60m 6year contract with Chiefs

• 16-07-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/2636573174

$30m guranteed, $40 over the first 3 years?:eek: Wow. What a difference a year makes. Amazing to think if Brady hadn't been injuried Cassell would probaly now be cut and possible gone from nfl forever but instea he's just got himself $30m.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I doubt he would have been cut. The reason we picked up Kevin O'Connell last year in the draft was because his contract was nearing an end and it was likely he was going to be offered better money elsewhere.

All the same its incredible to see him earn that sort of money, but in fairness he has earned it with a great first season. It seems he has impressed already in Kansas and so much for the statement about an open competition between him and Thigpen. I honestly believe that he is one of the top ten QB's in the league based on last season. Think about it Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Brees, Warner, Ryan, Cutler. After that I'd be hard pressed to put anybody else ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nice bit of pocket money for him lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I wouldnt say he's earned being the second highest paid QB (behind Matt Schaub) quite yet though!! Especially when you consider the team he was working with last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

eagle eye wrote: »
    I doubt he would have been cut. The reason we picked up Kevin O'Connell last year in the draft was because his contract was nearing an end and it was likely he was going to be offered better money elsewhere.

All the same its incredible to see him earn that sort of money, but in fairness he has earned it with a great first season. It seems he has impressed already in Kansas and so much for the statement about an open competition between him and Thigpen. I honestly believe that he is one of the top ten QB's in the league based on last season. Think about it Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Brees, Warner, Ryan, Cutler. After that I'd be hard pressed to put anybody else ahead of him.

I find that to be a bit of an oddity. Last year people said he stunk at camp for the Pats when he initally got in after Brady went down andpeople were worried. Is it just confidence now with him?

I'm still not convinced tbh. He has been a backup from college onwards, there is a reason for that. He has a chance to prove its the man not the system which saw him have solid year last year. We shall see on this one quite soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

All the same its incredible to see him earn that sort of money, but in fairness he has earned it with a great first season.

Don't think he's earned it, he took a 16-0 team and failed to make the playoffs (admittedly with an 11-5 record which was unfortunate). That in my eyes doesn't mean he deserves to be paid more than Brady.

Would love to see him do well but with the current offense at his disposal he may struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Don't think he's earned it, he took a 16-0 team and failed to make the playoffs (admittedly with an 11-5 record which was unfortunate). That in my eyes doesn't mean he deserves to be paid more than Brady.

Would love to see him do well but with the current offense at his disposal he may struggle.
    Exactly - as I had said earlier.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say he's earned being the second highest paid QB (behind Matt Schaub) quite yet though!! Especially when you consider the team he was working with last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Whatever about the money thing whether he deserves it or not is another days argument. But your taking a 16-0 team logic is flawed.

Lets look at the facts:

- Cassel backed up QBs most of his career and last started in HS.

- He might aswell have been a complete rookie with his experience

- The pressure on him to succeed was immense followin in the footsteps of Brady

- And he did take a 16-0 team as you put it to 11-5 which is still decent for any inexperienced QB. AFC East was a tough ass division last season and will be again this year.

Simple facts whether he deserves the money or not a team are willing to pay him it. Not his fault really not like he went out and demanded it. But Pioli and Chiefs feel he deserves it who are we to argue that?

Time will tell with Cassel. He has the potential thats for sure. Look at the Patriots last game against the Jets Cassels last drive that pushed the game into OT. The kid definitely has potential. If he can bring it out in KC he will be alright.

I doubted him highly last year but I have to say he did impress me in the end and was unlucky not to take the team to the playoffs. An ageing Defense definitely didnt help him out. But he did a great job filling in for Brady to be honest and no one can say he didnt. Last season was always going to be an up hill struggle without brady and an injury stricken and old defense.

Firstly saying that it was a 16-0 team is wrong it was an 18-0 team:p and almost 19 before that incredible catch:(

Anyways back to Matt Cassel.

Firstly lets have a look at that the difference between that team and the 2008 team.
    Donte Stallworth, Rosevelt Colvin, Randall Gay, Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel all left.
    On top of that we had Brandon McGowan, Adalius Thomas, Shawn Crable, Laurence Maroney, Terrence Wheatley, Tedy Bruschi, Ryan O'Callaghan, Pierre Woods and Tank Williams all miss big chunks of the season, some missed the entire season.
    So really this squad was a long way short of the team that achieved that incredible record the previous season and thats without discussing Tom Brady.

Last season we did not make the playoffs primarily because or our depleted and injury-ravaged defense. Remember the Jets game where we scored 30 points and lost, Cassel threw 400 yards on 30/43 with 3 tds and 0 ints. For me thats the game that cost us the playoffs right there. And that was not clearly not Matt Cassel's fault.

The guy just got better and better as the season went on, first he struggled to find the deep guys, maybe a confidence issue and not just his but BB/McDaniels confidence in him as well. Then as the season wore on he started to find Moss and Gaffney. Which reminds me of that dropped pass by Gaffney in the game against the Colts. Thats two games not lost by Cassel now.

I really the think the guy is the business and there will be no doubters at the end of this season. The fact that McDaniels was trying to get him and replace Cutler in Denver speaks volumes about how highly he regards the man, and to be fair nobody knows him better than Josh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'm suprised by the fact that d chiefs wanted to give him a contract so early and such a big contract also, it seems like a lot of risk with very little upside.

The chiefs could have let play this season on a if u play well Ull get payed basis. If he played well they could just franchise him and then negoatiate a contract (how much more expensive wud it b wit two proven seasons under his belt considering the contract he just signed?)

I'd rate casell as an above average qb.I think the chiefs way overpaid when they had all the leverage. The only benefit of this is that it makes casell 'the guy' for d chiefs and it gives them stability at the most important position. But then again who am I to critise Pioli's wisdom?

Yeah the big thing is that both the ex Patriots that were there last year both wanted him and one of them got him. There might be an element of reducing their cap involved in this also. I can't remember how much the franchise figure was but I'm sure that figure in his first year has been reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'm sure that figure in his first year has been reduced.
    In my opinion the Chiefs did it to make the salary floor level in the NFL. Salary floor this year is about $111m and Chiefs were way off that

Advertisement