Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Exchange?

• 16-07-2009 11:34pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone interested in trying out a different camera in exchange for a different camera, for a few days?

I've a '76 Olympus Trip 35, a '37 Brownie and a Minolta Dynax 35mm SLR. I just fanct a little break from them and would like a day or two with something else. Any format, just something different. I would of course give a quick run through on the camera if that's required and would appreciate the same.

I live in Dublin city but would be willing to travel a reasonable distance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

How about I just give you a loan of a Canon Eos-3 with a lens and flash.... and you play with that for a bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PCPhoto wrote: »
    How about I just give you a loan of a Canon Eos-3 with a lens and flash.... and you play with that for a bit.

Oooh...eh...ok. That sounds good. Sure I'll give you a PM and sort it out.

I think this is a good idea for a thread. The 500 quid pyramid scheme for a Has was a good idea but could end in tears, so I thought this could be a different option for another slightly nutty idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lomo diane
    lomo fisheye
    nikon f90

nothing amazing, but willing to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I have a Canonet rangefinder QL 19 you could have a go of? I'd appreciate it actually - still don't know if the bloody thing is working.. the light meter is definitely busted anyway.

Also have a pentax mount Cosina and a few nice primes, and a couple of polaroids but no film :( Oh and an Oktomat.

sineadw wrote: »
    I have a Canonet rangefinder QL 19 you could have a go of? I'd appreciate it actually - still don't know if the bloody thing is working.. the light meter is definitely busted anyway.

Also have a pentax mount Cosina and a few nice primes, and a couple of polaroids but no film :( Oh and an Oktomat.

Ooh hey y'know I'd love a few rolls through a rangefinder. I haven't had my own in a long while and the last one I used was Fajitas out in Howth a few months back.
    PCphoto did offer his EOS which I would love too but for now I'd love to have a go with the rangefinder.
    Thanks PC I'd like to take you up on that offer in thwe future if that's be ok.
    Sinead I'll pm on some details....brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I'm kinda interested in this, I've an OM4Ti and a couple of lenses, a Contax G2 and 45mm F2, an OM10 and an Olympus Pen EE-3.

I haven't seen anything posted I'd be too interested in using yet though! Where are the leica's and the quality point and shoot film cameras??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I think this is a fab idea!
    I have...

Canon Eos 30, 28-135 IS, 50mm macro- I LOVE this camera!!

Yashica Samurai, half frame, strange little SLR that looks more like a camcorder. Have a few accesories for this too... portrait flash etc..

Lubitel 2 120 camera with waist level viewfinder- Im not very experienced using this one and could do with a lesson!

Lomo fisheye...good fun, great for doing cross processed slide pics.

Halina, very compact, manual, kinda heavy... 35mm manual

Canon Ixus 860...lives in my handbag and I use this one a lot

110 compact camera- proper old school!

PC photo... I'd love to try that EOS 3 if you would like to try anything of mine? :)
    Humberklog, I would like to try your Brownie.... that would be similar to my Lubitel wouldn't it? :)

How about if a few of us met up and did a few phoots together and tried different cameras just for the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Minolta Hi Matic F to swap for the Trip if your interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

katiemaloe wrote: »
    I think this is a fab idea!
    How about if a few of us met up and did a few phoots together and tried different cameras just for the craic?

I was thinking the same thing.
    For right now all I have in Ireland is:
    B50A6D80BDDE4062AB5061BB0FC07DE6-800.jpg
    with the addition of a 50mm f/1.8 D.
    Should have an 80s Minolta, can't remember the model, with a bunch of lenses after a trip back to the states around December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

No problem giving a lend to anyone except i'm rarely not using my Sony :)

197C4E1235294F07BA676F3645CBC93D-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Katie Maloe - since humberlog isnt interested (for now) .... I can try get it to you after the weekend.

I'm not interested in a swap - up the walls with work, so can just give it on loan for a bit.

Any chance you'd be around the city centre during weekdays ? or do I have to go out to Clonee ? (I'm in Ranelagh but work in city center)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Katie Maloe - since humberlog isnt interested (for now) .... I can try get it to you after the weekend.

I'm not interested in a swap - up the walls with work, so can just give it on loan for a bit.

Any chance you'd be around the city centre during weekdays ? or do I have to go out to Clonee ? (I'm in Ranelagh but work in city center)

That's cool PC, thanks so much! :D Yep I can meet you in town or Ranelagh.... I'll PM you and we will sort it out. Delighted! Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ugggh times like this i hate livin where i do... been looking at some stuff lately on e-bay and would absolutely love the use of an oly trip and some manner of half frame to ''try before i buy'' ... oh well... :rolleyes:

Picked up a Canonet from Sineadw at the weekend. Beautiful rangefinder and usual Canon excellence. After a little tricky start as it appeared that the shutter release button wasn't firing I took it to the pub for a pint and good look see. Simple problem was that when the Ap was set at auto the camera wasn't reading the info and allowing itself to start up. So set it to a manual setting and all was good.
    I only took a couple of snaps outdoors in bright daylight and then finished off the roll later in the evening in varying deminished lighting. Took roll out and dropped it on for developing and while the barrel was empty I decided to investigate shutter speeds and Ap. rings were funtioning.
    The shutter speeds are fine but the shutter's not opening as wide as I'd like, but that's not a biggy really. Problem is that the Ap. rings are not operating. They're stuck around an f6 stop. The roll returned to me then confirmed this too.
    One of the lovely things about a rangefinder for me is playing with exposures levels. Playing with Dof, dragging subjects into a dark region or washing a scene out in brightness. With a simple accurate lens (such as the Canonet) brilliant things can be achieved with a working manual Ap.
    Still and all, now that I know where the cameras at I'm looking forward to a nice sunny day to give it a proper day out that such a camera deserves.

I'm wondering now though if anyone has come across this problem. It's east to assume that it's "Canon shutter stick". From where the resin(y) stuff that's used on the shutter mechanism screws then leaks over time onto the curtains and onto the Ap. rings. But it's usually the shutter that'll go first and then the rings glue up. Hmmm. Don't worry Sinead I won't go opening it up but thought it worth while asking on here to see if anyone has a solution or recommendation.

Just gotta get a sunny day now to have some fun with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's happened to mine a few times. I've unstuck them each time, but it's gone seriously stuck now, and it's going to have to get relubed (ooo-er), but I reckon I'll wait til I'm in London for that.

General playing with the internals and few shakes *can* unstick them, but I wouldn't depend on it. I was going to open mine, again, but realised I'd get too frustrated and it'd end up out the window. I do have a lot of the repair manuals if anyone needs them though. It's a lot more complicated than any of my 120 bodies :-/

Did you have to go through from the lens to get to the rings faj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You can go for either end :pac:

One's as awkward as the other, and if you don't remember exactly what went where, it's time to get a new Canonet :-/

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/canonetblade.html

Mine's gone to the stage it's jammed up the wind on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If you want to have a go Neil then go :) It was only 50 quid anyway...

Nice to know its working anyway, at least on some level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Have:

Olympus XA
    Yashica Electro 35
    Canonet QL-17 GIII
    Praktica Super TL / Helios 58mm f2 (I think) / Zenitar 16mm f2.8 fisheye

Advertisement