Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA Suspends all Shuttle flights until further notice

• 16-07-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Just hearing in this on Sky News. Due to a chunk of insulation foam coming off last night, apparently it was a worry! It was fairly visible even on TV.
    This could jeopardise the future flights of the shuttle unless it is sorted quickly, there might be a big push back of flights...

Lets hope last night wasn't the last of the shuttle we'll see!

Can't find a link on the BBC or anywhere yet, will post when I find one!

EDIT: Found it on Reuters: Link.
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (Reuters) - NASA will suspend flights of its space shuttle fleet until it understands why strips of insulating foam peeled off the fuel tank used by shuttle Endeavour during Wednesday's launch, officials said.

"We're not worried about this one, but we need to understand what's going on for the next flight," said shuttle program manager John Shannon said on Thursday.

NASA has seven more shuttle launches planned to complete construction of the International Space Station. Its next flight is targeted for launch on August 18.

(Reporting by Irene Klotz; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

Doesn't sound too bad there, God can Sky News make something not too bad sound so serious. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

jumpguy wrote: »
    Just hearing in this on Sky News. Due to a chunk of insulation foam coming off last night, apparently it was a worry! It was fairly visible even on TV.
    This could jeopardise the future flights of the shuttle unless it is sorted quickly, there might be a big push back of flights...

Lets hope last night wasn't the last of the shuttle we'll see!

Can't find a link on the BBC or anywhere yet, will post when I find one!

That sounds serious :mad:

here we are looking forward to the next launch and now it could all stop

stargate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

They mentioned this last night at the press conference, down to the silicone in the forward lower surface.

I dont think they have made their inspection roll at the ISS yet

Jesus, that's a shock.

I've to go a rooting around news websites now.

efla wrote: »
    They mentioned this last night at the press conference, down to the silicone forward lower surface.

When are they making their inspection roll at the ISS?

They do it normally when they pitch up near the ISS i think they need to do it asap

hope everythings ok

Nothing on NASA`s site i can see , sky news have this story first ????

Inspected at 16:36 GMT according to space.com - will probably have to adjust the flight plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can't find it on news websites yet (BBC, RTE and Sky). It's not on the NASA website either. That's defo what I heard Sky News saying. Anyone switch over and have a look, they'll probably repeat it or it'll be in the the ticker.

It's not the fact the foam may have damaged the shuttle, it's the fact such a large chunk came off in the first place apparently. Not meant to happen after Columbia.

EDIT: Found it on Reuters.

Stargate wrote: »
    Nothing on NASA`s site i can see , sky news have this story first ????

Unless they went back through the post-launch chatter? They were talking away about it last night for a while just after midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They were still inspecting the heat shield of the orbiter a while ago,NASA won't have even begun to look at the images/data sent back yet. I sense a bit of sensationalism from the media tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if the weather played a part in it. Endeavour was sitting out on pad 39a since the start of june,it's had many thunderstorms deluge it with rain,i'd be surprised if that didn't weaken/change the nature of the foam.

[QUOTE=lord lucan;,it's had many thunderstorms deluge it with rain,i'd be surprised if that didn't weaken/change the nature of the foam.[/QUOTE]

Not good news for re-entry !
    Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

lord lucan wrote: »
    They were still inspecting the heat shield of the orbiter a while ago,NASA won't have even begun to look at the images/data sent back yet. I sense a bit of sensationalism from the media tbh.

I wouldn't be surprised if the weather played a part in it. Endeavour was sitting out on pad 39a since the start of june,it's had many thunderstorms deluge it with rain,i'd be surprised if that didn't weaken/change the nature of the foam.
    Did they not bring out the shield while it was idle on the pad? Also, I'd expect the foam was impermeable...however I think you may be right, it might've been weakened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

jumpguy wrote: »
    Did they not bring out the shield while it was idle on the pad? Also, I'd expect the foam was impermeable...however I think you may be right, it might've been weakened.

The gantry on the tower is swung around the orbiter while it's on the pad,that's its only protection. They had to replace one of the cones/nozzles on the nose thruster cause rain had gotten into it,could have turned to ice in the vacuum of space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

This is just the media blowing stories up. Full inspection is not complete yet and at the moment NASA say only minor damage has been seen, much the same as most flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

if you go to the skynews site there's advice on how to untwist knickers.
    read the instructions carefully.

non story.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Beeker wrote: »
    This is just the media blowing stories up. Full inspection is not complete yet and at the moment NASA say only minor damage has been seen, much the same as most flights.

Wasn't this or similar story in the media after the last launch too?

Seperately: Was in the states last weekend,watching news coverage in the runup to the (then deferred) launch. One channel mentioned that the recurring hydrogen leak problem may cause more problems in the future as all the remaining external fuel tanks, including the one used on Wednesday were impacted by Hurricane Katrina. The tanks were already constructed at that time and were in outside storage in Florida.This seems to be the reason for the recent leakage problems, if so the remaining tanks could have similar problems.

Building new tanks would be a problem as US Congress would have to release new funds to do so. As it is they have only greenlighted the funds for a limited number of further launches (is it 11 more before the STS is retired?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Tenger wrote: »
    Wasn't this or similar story in the media after the last launch too?
    The media are always overplaying this story due to misunderstanding the way NASA operate. All shuttle flights must wait until the results of the previous flights safety inspections etc before they are given the go ahead to launch. In a sence all future flights are grounded until given a green light.
    Tenger wrote: »
    As it is they have only greenlighted the funds for a limited number of further launches (is it 11 more before the STS is retired?)
    7 launches left.

It seems like some media scare-mongering to me after reading into it on a few websites. It's nothing to worry about (well, at least until NASA perform they're tests from the ISS).

It seems like some media scare-mongering to me after reading into it on a few websites. It's nothing to worry about (well, at least until NASA perform they're tests from the ISS).
    Yeah thats correct, the media have always gone over the top on these issues especially SKY/FOX.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Stargate wrote: »
    Not good news for re-entry !
    Stargate

Why?? There's nothing to suggest it damaged the shuttles heat shield tiles in any way.

A roll over inspection at the ISS is merely pre-cautionary, procedure since Columbia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nice docus on Diuscovery last night on the Shuttle Programme/ Columbia/ Challenger/ISS.
    Passed my evening with NASA and several beers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement