Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GMIT... what's the lowdown?

• 16-07-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey,

I recently got accepted to GMIT. I wouldn't be too familiar with Galway (other than pointing to it on a map) so am just wondering what's to do there (both in and outside the college)?

I'm just trying to become somewhat familiar with the college, with your help of course. So many questions...

1. Are the clubs and socs active in the college or are they just for show?
    2. Are the student union worthwhile or again, do they just put on a pretty face?
    3. What's the policy on too many missing lectures?
    4. Is there ample parking space and do you have to pay for it?
    5. I am considering getting accomodation at cuirt na rasai, does the broadband connection have a reasonable speed or is it throttled?
    6. Are they strict on overnight guests?

That'll probably do for now. :) So thanks very much in advance for any replies. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Taur wrote: »
    Hey,

I recently got accepted to GMIT. I wouldn't be too familiar with Galway (other than pointing to it on a map) so am just wondering what's to do there (both in and outside the college)?

I'm just trying to become somewhat familiar with the college, with your help of course. So many questions...

2. Are the student union worthwhile or again, do they just put on a pretty face?
    5. I am considering getting accomodation at cuirt na rasai, does the broadband connection have a reasonable speed or is it throttled?

That'll probably do for now. :) So thanks very much in advance for any replies. :)

I'll reply to these two questions as I can answer them well (the rest :S)

The broadband is Cuirt na Rasai is reasonably fast,although the connection does drop every now and again and might not work for a day or two!

I think its a 8meg line but a lot of the speed depends on what time of the day it is (think peak times >4 meg and all other +6-8meg) and it is not throttled in anyway!

I've had a few friends stay over last year and nothing was said so I assume its grand! Hope this helps! (p.s make sure you have a car,its a long walk from Cuirt > GMIT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Taur

donmeister wrote: »
    I'll reply to these two questions as I can answer them well (the rest :S)

The broadband is Cuirt na Rasai is reasonably fast,although the connection does drop every now and again and might not work for a day or two!

I think its a 8meg line but a lot of the speed depends on what time of the day it is (think peak times >4 meg and all other +6-8meg) and it is not throttled in anyway!

I've had a few friends stay over last year and nothing was said so I assume its grand! Hope this helps! (p.s make sure you have a car,its a long walk from Cuirt > GMIT)

Great thanks. 2 down. :) I have a car but hope to be getting a new one soon. They are so cheap at the moment. Anyway, thanks for the reply. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Now I'll give my 2c on the rest........

I think with the club's and soc's in college varies with each,if you want you could ask specfic question's about them in the GMIT Student Union forum

IMO the SU is very worthwhile, at least in the previous year with important campaigns and events all organised very well and great craic aswell! So it aint just a pretty face..........

Parking is a bit of an issue to be honest, starting next year there bringing in student parking permits,im not sure of the cost of the year but you cant get one unless you live more than a mile away from the college (very good idea) so hopefully this will combat the current situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I don't think the college is great for societies. Theres only a handful of active ones as far as I could tell last year. Might be better this year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

1. Yes and most of the are worth while.
    2. Worth while.
    3. Depends on the course you are in, but missing lecturers is always a bad idea. If you are in an engineer course then it is a VERY bad idea.

4.Yes their is parking and it is cheap, no it is not ample. You will only get a space early in the morning before 9.30, shortly before and during lunch or any time after 4 in the evening. My advice leave the car at home, it will make college life a nightmare due to the parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Stayed in Cuairt na raisi way back in first year, sigh.
    They're not strict on overnight guests at all. Had a ****load of friends up to visit for the year at various times and never was a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Taur

Cool. Thanks for all the replies. Should sort me out for now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

[*]Are the clubs and socs active in the college or are they just for show?
    Some good some bad, all depends on the members and what you want to do

[*]Are the student union worthwhile or again, do they just put on a pretty face?
    Honestly Packie Bonner is a good speaker and represents the college well

[*]What's the policy on too many missing lectures?
    Again depends on the course and if you get a grant or not, I prob done a combined 20 - 40 days all year and nothing said, then again I don't get a handout so thats prob the reason

[*]Is there ample parking space and do you have to pay for it?
    Clamping in effect and they are hardcore, new permit system introduced as well

[*]I am considering getting accomodation at cuirt na rasai, does the broadband connection have a reasonable speed or is it throttled?
    It is....um crap

[*]Are they strict on overnight guests?
    Nope...Just no mad parties and hope your staying with a decent crowd

Advertisement