Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband @ Tralee

• 16-07-2009 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Soup,

So ive been a customer with eircom for about 8 years now. Ive always had a perfect service up till 3 months ago and now, I think my time with Eircom is done. I need a provider that actually provides a stable broadband. I cant play any game from 6pm-1am.

A bit of backhistory; 3 months ago my service between 6pm and 1am has been met with ping spikes and packet loss of about 50-75%. Im paying for a business line, 7.6mb/384k. Its not cheap. After a week or two of this i opened a ticket. The ticket was put down as slow speeds. After about 6 calls for a week, one every night, the same "turn your router off for a minute" crap i lost it. The problem wasnt my side. I KNOW it isnt my side. Technician came out, everythings fine my end. No ****. It went on and on until i found someone that told me there was actually a problem in the exchange. Wow thanks for wasting my time, i could have told you that.

So this is about one week into May. Theres a problem in the exchange. It wont be fixed until the 30th of may. Thats 3 weeks with a disgraceful nightly service because eircom 1) couldnt find their own problem and 2) dont care enough to get it fixed fast enough.

31st May; same problems.

*Goes to turkey for a month*

5th July; same problems.

Then Eircom gets their DNS problems, then theyre hacked and what not. I give them a break. Service restored tuesday morning.

15th & 16th July; same problems.

What is the problem? The eircom exchange im on is overloaded. Everyone logs on at 6pm and i cant actually play any games (web browsing works fine) till late in the night. Im paying top whack for a good line, and its useles at night? Theyre obviously not interested in fixing it so im not interested in staying with them.

Anyway, my cry and rant is over, Digiweb is what im looking @ at the moment, only the 40gb cap is putting me off. Is it enforced? Hows their performance?

The thing is, if i change company, ill still be off the same exchange (Killerisk exchange in Tralee). If the exchange is being overloaded between 6pm-1am and thats why my service is ****e, would it even make a difference if i changed company? Eircom seem uninterested in helping me, would another company fix it if i changed to them?

Im at my wits end and im going to stab someone violently in the face if i have to miss anymore WoW raids because my internet keeps disconnecting me :(

(yes i said WoW, im sorry)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Im with Kerry broadband .... Play a lot of cod4 and waw online .... connection is pretty stable and pings around 70 - 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Epeen wrote: »
    Soup,

So ive been a customer with eircom for about 8 years now. Ive always had a perfect service up till 3 months ago and now, I think my time with Eircom is done. I need a provider that actually provides a stable broadband. I cant play any game from 6pm-1am.

A bit of backhistory; 3 months ago my service between 6pm and 1am has been met with ping spikes and packet loss of about 50-75%. Im paying for a business line, 7.6mb/384k. Its not cheap. After a week or two of this i opened a ticket. The ticket was put down as slow speeds. After about 6 calls for a week, one every night, the same "turn your router off for a minute" crap i lost it. The problem wasnt my side. I KNOW it isnt my side. Technician came out, everythings fine my end. No ****. It went on and on until i found someone that told me there was actually a problem in the exchange. Wow thanks for wasting my time, i could have told you that.

So this is about one week into May. Theres a problem in the exchange. It wont be fixed until the 30th of may. Thats 3 weeks with a disgraceful nightly service because eircom 1) couldnt find their own problem and 2) dont care enough to get it fixed fast enough.

31st May; same problems.

*Goes to turkey for a month*

5th July; same problems.

Then Eircom gets their DNS problems, then theyre hacked and what not. I give them a break. Service restored tuesday morning.

15th & 16th July; same problems.

What is the problem? The eircom exchange im on is overloaded. Everyone logs on at 6pm and i cant actually play any games (web browsing works fine) till late in the night. Im paying top whack for a good line, and its useles at night? Theyre obviously not interested in fixing it so im not interested in staying with them.

Anyway, my cry and rant is over, Digiweb is what im looking @ at the moment, only the 40gb cap is putting me off. Is it enforced? Hows their performance?

The thing is, if i change company, ill still be off the same exchange (Killerisk exchange in Tralee). If the exchange is being overloaded between 6pm-1am and thats why my service is ****e, would it even make a difference if i changed company? Eircom seem uninterested in helping me, would another company fix it if i changed to them?

Im at my wits end and im going to stab someone violently in the face if i have to miss anymore WoW raids because my internet keeps disconnecting me :(

(yes i said WoW, im sorry)
    Can we see some pings and tracerts to rte.ie, google.com and bbc.co.uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Epeen wrote: »

I assume you're talking about Metro. The cap is enforced, but I've never seen anything bad said about performance. Typical ping is 25ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not sure if Tralee has Metro, or if it's only DSL and Satellite there.

519352430.png
    ping to galway server (Limerick - Dublin - Galway) maybe rises to 50ms at worst.
    As jor el says, the basic ping to Dublin Fibre from Limerick Metro is 20ms
    C:\WINDOWS>ping www.heanet.ie -t

Pinging samhain.heanet.ie [193.1.219.57] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=60
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
        Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 20ms

Cap is a rolling 30days. If you go over you are slowed to ISDN speed till a number of days have passed resulting in dropping below 80% of cap.

Mostly you get a warning email at about 75 to 80% (I had several recently).

My cap is 30 (8Mbps down, 1Mbps up), I have reached 27, but 18 is more typical usage for the 4 to 5 computer users here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's DSL you're looking at, and the problem is that the exchange is contended to death, then changing to one of the eircom resellers won't help. You'll still be in the same exchange, and on the same equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

519462463.png

Thats on a 7.6mb line with nothing running or using da interwebs (using tcpview to check) :( Ive also done speed tests on a freshly installed computer and its the same. My download speeds however arent that bad, usually getting around the 600kb/s and maybe 40kb/s upload. 3 months ago i was getting 720kb/s+ and 65kb/s up

Its really gone to **** lately. Im not even far from the exchange i live right in town.

@ the tracerts and pings; i could do a tracert and ping something and it would be fine. Id do it again and the ping times out and has 50% or more packet loss. The mimicks my problem exactly in the games im playing; fine and all of a sudden a MASSIVE spike which usually end up me getting disconnected.

Heres a picture of my IRC's Lag-o-meter which pretty much describe whats happening clearly enough. This is when idling btw;

lagometer.jpg
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 33 ms 26 ms 40 ms b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.2]
    3 34 ms 31 ms 29 ms 86.43.245.21
    4 39 ms 33 ms 46 ms 159.134.125.210
    5 35 ms 47 ms 34 ms deg-gw-2.rte.ie [194.88.240.17]
    6 29 ms 29 ms 31 ms www.rte.ie [89.207.56.140]
    Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.251.195]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 * 25 ms 30 ms b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.2]
    3 38 ms 32 ms 25 ms 86.43.245.17
    4 66 ms 209 ms 207 ms 83.71.115.67
    5 41 ms 39 ms 41 ms 83.245.126.93
    6 43 ms 50 ms 45 ms 212.58.238.129
    7 48 ms 37 ms 37 ms 212.58.239.58
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.

etc...

Pretty **** state of affairs when we cant even get a usable broadband in a decent sized town in Ireland. This has been going on for 3 months :(

As for getting throttled going over the cap; f that lol. 40gb isnt enough for me :( Also; theres no Metro here, just ADSL off that same exchange :<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

The lack of replies worries me that im going to be stuck with this for a very long time

Im crai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Epeen, I'm bringing up an old thread here to ask how you fixed this problem eventually. A friend is in Blennerville near Tralee and I'm helping them to sort out their slow and sh1tty speeds with eircom. Is there another provider you can recommend there? thx

Advertisement