Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two insurance questions.. go on, show off what ya know!

• 16-07-2009 11:55pm

right well first off, i am 21 and drive a 1990 bmw e30. classic insurance next year.. i know i'd have to join a club and have a regular day to day car and only do a limited mileage on the bmw. but am I too young to get this insurance?

which brings me onto my second question, my insurance policy covers me to drive any car with owners permission. does this include someone elses classicly insured car?

love classic old cars and i have this idea in my head i'd like to buy a 30+ year old car for cheap tax and insurance.. could my dad classic insure it himself and I use my policy to drive it now and then?

thanks boardsies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The only people that can answer your question about driving other cars is your insurance company / policy documents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

-You have to be 25 to get classic insurance on most policies, I heard a rumour of someone that does it for 23 year olds but I don't think I could find it.

-Well I only know what my policy (Quinn) covers. I can drive any car, any age, any engine size aslong as: Have a full license/I don't own the car/have it hired/its not a "work" vehicle e.g JCB etc.

So if you're with Quinn (Hibernian's one is also very similar) then you can drive your Dads classic all you want.

I could be wrong but I think remember Axa stating you must be over 25 to get Drive other Cars on your policy.

HTH.

when the car turns 20,

i think i should get a small car for goin ta work.. insure it cheaply with quinn (already with them)
    let dad insure the bmw as a classic,
    and i drive it at weekends.

that way i dodge my 2400euro premium, my car gets driven less and so stays in better nick.

that should work?

Technically if you're with Qunn the BMW doesn't need to be insured at all. You will have to tax/nct it though.

You won't have an insurance disc if you do the above though, so make sure you get a letter from Quinn stating the DOC terms and keep it with you.

Just remember DOC is 3rd party only.

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Technically if you're with Qunn the BMW doesn't need to be insured at all. You will have to tax/nct it though.

You won't have an insurance disc if you do the above though, so make sure you get a letter from Quinn stating the DOC terms and keep it with you.

Just remember DOC is 3rd party only.

this seems too good to be true.. but i guess the only reason people would insure two cars is for comprehensive then on the second?

i'll ring them later and ask if i can drive a car that is owned my someone else but has no policy.. then comes the issue of no cover for fire/theft.

• Advertisement

Just off phone with Quinn there.. I can drive any car that is classicly insured by anyone else and I can drive any car with owners permission without it needing a policy on it already.

Funny that the owner of the car might not even have a license to get points on if I get a speeding ticket.

I'm prob gonna give the car to dad, buy a 1 litre corsa, tax both, insure the corsa and be happy with my third party on the beamer. and just hope it doesn't get stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

21 and driving a E30, living the dream!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just off phone with Quinn there.. I can drive any car that is classicly insured by anyone else and I can drive any car with owners permission without it needing a policy on it already.

Funny that the owner of the car might not even have a license to get points on if I get a speeding ticket.

I'm prob gonna give the car to dad, buy a 1 litre corsa, tax both, insure the corsa and be happy with my third party on the beamer. and just hope it doesn't get stolen.

I'd insist on getting that in writing if I were you. How could you tax the classic without insurance btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd insist on getting that in writing if I were you. How could you tax the classic without insurance btw?

You can still use the policy number for the Corsa, as that poilcy still covers you to drive the BMW.

well it's still taxed as a regular car..

can my mum or dad tax it using their own policies since they can drive any car aswell?? never thought of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

well it's still taxed as a regular car..

can my mum or dad tax it using their own policies since they can drive any car aswell?? never thought of that

AS long as they're insured to drive it using that policy, then yeah they can.

AS long as they're insured to drive it using that policy, then yeah they can.
    which they wouldn't because they "own" the car since they're taxing it?

to be honest, if they transfered the insurance for a day to the bmw, taxed it, got the renewal pin and then transferred insurance back to their own car, it'd be grand?

i jus keep taxin it using the pin then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry but it all sounds ropey enough to me tbh. A cop will act if he sees no insurance disc, or a wrong reg on a displayed ins. disc.

Sorry but it all sounds ropey enough to me tbh. A cop will act if he sees no insurance disc, or a wrong reg on a displayed ins. disc.

He can act all he wants but the person is doing nothing wrong so what will he do? The only real disadvantage with this plan is the car is not covered against fire or theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Reading this thread makes my dream of having an 8 series in the next 5/6 years all the more realistic!

I've seen people do it and get stopped and let go again.

Like I said keep the letter from the insurance company stating your DOC entitlement.

Its all above board.

I emailed them before and got this response.
    I would like to confirm if your certificate of insurance says so,
    we will cover you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while you are driving any other privately owned vehicle which you do not own or
    have not hired under a hire-purchase or lease agreement as long as :

Does not belong to you or your employer

Is not hired or leased by you or your employer

Is not a van, or a car van, or a jeep type vehicle

You currently hold a full EU licence

The use of the vehicle is covered on the certificate of
    insurance

Cover is not provided by any other insurance

You have the owners permission to drive the vehicle

The vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.
    and
    You still have your vehicle and it is not been damaged beyond
    costeffective repair.

So there it is in black and white.

If a cop wants to take me to court I'll take my chances.

Is it illegal to not have a valid insurance disc displayed?

so i might just tax the bmw for a year, sign it over to mam and buy myself a little yoke to put at the back of the house down in monaghan.

for the money saved, i'd near spend it on tax for a move up to the 325.. if i didn't love my own 318is so much that is :P

yea, but unless your bein a feker to the guard, the ten day rule will apply..

that or fold up the letter and throw it into the sleeve on the windscreen :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Just make sure you put the vehicle into your fathers name and it should be ok.

You can't use Driving of Other Cars on a vehicle in your name.

Classic car policys usually mirror bonuses so your father could use his current bonus to get a cheap classic car policy and you could drive it using D.O.C.(which you have checked with quinn)

If the car is stolen the car would be covered by the classic car policy fully comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

On the classics forum it says a car has to be 30 years old to be a classic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355494

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Just make sure you put the vehicle into your fathers name and it should be ok.

You can't use Driving of Other Cars on a vehicle in your name.

Classic car policys usually mirror bonuses so your father could use his current bonus to get a cheap classic car policy and you could drive it using D.O.C.(which you have checked with quinn)

If the car is stolen the car would be covered by the classic car policy fully comp.

yea, figured i'd be havin parents put a classic policy on it next year.. very cheap but i'd have to be careful with miles?
    On the classics forum it says a car has to be 30 years old to be a classic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355494

only for tax, insurance is 20 years ;)

There's no hard and fast rule on "classic" insurance. On some cars/policies it can be as low as 15 years.

Having said that trying to insure a 3 door Sierra Cosworth on a classic policy would be tricky I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...you're right, it is. But OP is still legal, because the insurance that covers him to drive the 'classic', is his original/ordinary disc.

The reg on the disc means nothing. The only thing that's relevant is the policy information, as it's the policy that covers him. Therefore his 08-X-XXXX reg disc is entirely legal to display on the 78-D-XXX Classic, whilst he's driving it, as that's the effective policy for him in that vehicle.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...you're right, it is. But OP is still legal, because the insurance that covers him to drive the 'classic', is his original/ordinary disc.

The reg on the disc means nothing. The only thing that's relevant is the policy information, as it's the policy that covers him. Therefore his 08-X-XXXX reg disc is entirely legal to display on the 78-D-XXX Classic, whilst he's driving it, as that's the effective policy for him in that vehicle.

good to know.. i'd say i'm gonna try sort this out in the next two weeks since i'm off work and will be down home.

one final question, how would my mum go about insuring the car? her policy lets her drive any car that someone else owns.. but if she's taxing the car, it means she owns the car and thus, needs a policy on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

one final question, how would my mum go about insuring the car? her policy lets her drive any car that someone else owns.. but if she's taxing the car, it means she owns the car and thus, needs a policy on it?

To insure the car, she just needs to give them the money ! And yes, to tax it, she has to insure it. So you'll need money for that, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement