Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any DSG automatics out there...

• 17-07-2009 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks, anyone own and drive a dsg automatic? I would be interested in views/reviews... pros/cons, etc, thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I haven't driven one but I'm interested in them. Reception seems to be excellent so far with a few problems cropping up (generally software related). They appear to transform the performance of almost any car (even the VAG TDIs) but are torque limited so diesel remap possibilities go out the window. The one practical problem is on acceleration - put too much throttle in too fast and it'll bog down and take a second or two to react. There have been a few failures, generally from earlier boxes but apparently they're getting better.

Overall they seem to be highly recommended. There are well over one million VAG DSGs on European roads now. Hopefully they'll make manuals extinct in a few years (apart from high-performance cars).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Confab wrote: »
    I haven't driven one but I'm interested in them. Reception seems to be excellent so far with a few problems cropping up (generally software related). They appear to transform the performance of almost any car (even the VAG TDIs) but are torque limited so diesel remap possibilities go out the window. The one practical problem is on acceleration - put too much throttle in too fast and it'll bog down and take a second or two to react. There have been a few failures, generally from earlier boxes but apparently they're getting better.

Overall they seem to be highly recommended.

Not so, put 15k on one without missing a beat in a Golf Plus 105bhp. There is no 'bogging' on acceleration - quite the contrary - it out performs both conventional auto's and manuals in this regard.

I think you're confusing 'bogging' with 'kickdown'.

OP excellent 'box, highly recommended. Looking forward to getting another one, someday.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

galwaytt wrote: »
    I think you're confusing 'bogging' with 'kickdown'.

Nope, I know what kickdown is. There were definitely some reports of delays. I vaguely remember it only applying to very powerful engines. Doesn't matter anyway, they're still great as far as I can tell.

...yes, but kickdown in a DSG is different.

Imagine a conventional auto - and you're in 4th. Floor the throttle, hit the kickdown switch, and it changes to 3rd, and off you go.

The DSG, on the other hand, has you in 4th, with 5th gear preselected as the next choice............but you floor it, hit the kickdown, and it has to go and 'undo' 5th, and grab 3rd instead. Milliseconds of course, but the sequence has to change, unannounced.

But you're right - it's an excellent box. Of course, they're all at it now, the new GT-R has similar, too.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Whippo

Now, tell me this, what is the advantage of multitronic? The Audi A4 has this incorporated but the VW golfs do not...

• Advertisement

...it's just another way to ........skin a cat, or whatever.

It's essentially a belt-driven transmission, with no actual gears at all. More, it can continuously and in any amount, vary the 'gearing' by moving two pulley's. One way you'd notice this is the engine in a Multitronic is nearly always at a constant rev...........like a large scooter/moped.

What they do, to feign 'gearchanges' is set a number of standard increments for the pulley adjustment. The new multitronic has 7 pre-sets iirc.....which are akin to 'gears'. But of course, they're not........

Look at the derailleur on the back of your bicycle, and then imagine the chain could stop anywhere between the first and last sprocket - half-way included. Something like that.

My boss has a span new Multitronic A6 2.0 Tdi, and it's gorgeous. Very clever.

More, here

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...it's just another way to ........skin a cat, or whatever.

My boss has a span new Multitronic A6 2.0 Tdi, and it's gorgeous. Very clever.

More, here

Very impressive. Thanks for all the advise people. One final question I think... buy an A4 in Ireland or the UK, I'm sure this will get a mixed response, but sure what the hell

LOL, whereever gets you the best deal I'd have thought!

Mind you, I'd be shocked if you couldn't hammer a good deal here at this stage - there's enough of them about by now.........

Ode To The Motorist

Sound Galwaytt, looking at both Eire/UK at mo.... if you come across any A4 dsg sales, around 2006/07, please pm me..... again, cheers for inputs folks... later...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

R.O.R. told of a couple of big time DSG failures on VW Touran's I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Interesting reading here, good info GalwayTT.. definitely makes things a little clearer to me anyway, saves me doing all the research myself.. :D

Whats the fuel economy in cars with DSGs? Any better than standard petrol/diesel auto boxes?

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Whippo wrote: »
    Sound Galwaytt, looking at both Eire/UK at mo.... if you come across any A4 dsg sales, around 2006/07, please pm me..... again, cheers for inputs folks... later...

Still no DSG option for the A4 AFAIK, well not in the diesels anyway. Compared to the DSG Box, the Multitronic is a pile of muck and will either bog down when setting off from a standing start, or spin the wheels up.

I believe the A4 will get the DSG box instead of the Multitronic at some point soon.

Maybe consider a Passat 2.0Tdi DSG in Highline spec, instead of the A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't this come up recently or am I having deja-vu? (possible seeing as I'm still waking up! :D)

Anyway, I've a 06 2L TDI Passat with a DSG box that I bought with 56000km on the clock... she now has 105k on it and hasn't caused me any bother, although as stated the software level does seem to make a difference as the gearbox seems to be tuned better since I brought the car in for the last service, which I'm guessing is due to an update.

The only quirk though is the auto hold function can be very choppy at low speeds - ie: the car will jerk to a stop/start sometimes if it's turned on and you're reversing say into a parking space. Annoying enough that I leave this turned off, unless I'm on an incline as the car tends to roll back a bit when you come off the brake until the gearbox kicks in a second or so later. Strangely my older 02 B5.5 Passat (automatic as well, but no DSG option in those days) didn't do this and if anything it had more pull with the car in D and crawl mode.

On the whole though the DSG box is very good and has plenty of oomph and responsiveness in most situations (overtaking etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

R.O.R. told of a couple of big time DSG failures on VW Touran's I think.

Yep, we had 2 Touran 1.4Tsi 140's with DSG boxes and both have needed new boxes. One in warranty after less than a year, one just out of the 2 year warranty. Neither had more than 30k (km) at the time of failure.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Interesting reading here, good info GalwayTT.. definitely makes things a little clearer to me anyway, saves me doing all the research myself.. :D

Whats the fuel economy in cars with DSGs? Any better than standard petrol/diesel auto boxes?

Tox

For some reason the economy on the Diesel is slightly worse than the manual (mnaufacturer quoted figures), but it's slightly better on the Petrol's. The emissions on the new Golf 1.4TFSi DSG just creep in to the lower VRT category compared to the Manual version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    Yep, we had 2 Touran 1.4Tsi 140's with DSG boxes and both have needed new boxes. One in warranty after less than a year, one just out of the 2 year warranty. Neither had more than 30k (km) at the time of failure.

Funny thing, we have a Passat with a DSG problem at the minute. Its been in four times in the last month with the same problem.

Advertisement