Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rusty knives

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure if this is the right place.

Is it normal for relatively expensive (€70 Sabatier) brand new knives to corrode badly in a dishwasher?
    Mum bought a pair and one rusted after the first use/ wash and the other is 100% the same as it was after going through the exact same process.
    They were in unmarked packaging that said nothing about not being dishwasher proof and the shop aren't giving her any satisfaction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You might have left them in the dishwasher too long after it was finished and the water was left on the blades. Just give them a scrub with a scourer and dry them afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

olaola wrote: »
    Just give them a scrub with a scourer and dry them afterwards.
    Should be a plastic or stainless steel or copper scourer. Copper is softer than steel so will not scratch it. If you use a brillo pad it can leave mild steel residues which can cause rusting on stainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sabatier is used for a range of knives, the name was not trademarked and it is used by a number of cutlers.
    I have a non stainless version, razor edge but it does rust.
    It sounds to me as though you have high carbon knives, if not full carbon.
    These are not suitable for the dishwasher and will have to be cleaned by hand.
    On the flip side they will have a better edge holding capability than normal stainless knives.
    Do they have any markings on the blade at all?
    http://www.sabatier.com/gb/ecole/conseils_entretien2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks all.

There was some talk about carbon. Usually, her dishwasher gets everything bone dry and this was the very first wash they've ever had. I wonder why 2 almost identical knives had completely different reactions after the same use??

Is there any cleaning/ repairing that can be done now to save the corroded one? Mum is only used to pound shop standard stainless knives and she thinks that these expensive ones were a total waste of time and wants to give them back because the she thinks the corroded one will poison her...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Can you upload a picture - I'd like to see what a dishwasher does to a Sabatier...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lord man, never put your knife in a dishwasher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Metal polish like Flitz, Autosol, or astonish pan cleaner will get rust off. If there is pitting fine silicon carbide sandpaper can be used. Like this is good.

On a full carbon knife the patination will help protect the knife and prevent rust, stick it in a spud overnight or wrap in vinegar soaked kitchen towel then wash. Mustard and stuff can be used as well.

Also, nev er use a dishwasher for your knives, heat, banging around, corrosive cleaners, salt rinse aids... oh my it's just knife hell in a box! ;)

Advertisement