Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year old asked to trade Ipod for Walkman...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Heh :pac:

I got my first Walkman in 1991 so a fair few advances had been made on it by then - mine was pretty slick-looking and it was a lot smaller than the one in that feature. It also had a killer sound.

Does anyone agree that the kid is fairly annoying?

I was still rocking the walkman at the turn of the century.

It was a little more compact than that badboy though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

That article has made me feel so ancient and yes he is just a tad annoying!

Walkman or Discman ND1978?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Taz86

Surely the 13 year old didn't actually write that article?! Some big words in it for a 13 year old.

Gosh I feel old and thick ;) I'm going to be 23 next week and I got my Walkman when I was 10. Loved it. First album I played in it was Fuzzy Logic. I was still using it at age 19. I only bought an iPod when I was 20.

I still love my clapped out cassettes. Nostalgia.

Edit:Trustno1 - Cheers for putting that up. I found the article very interesting. It reminds me of the way me, my bro and his friend used to use my father's vinyl. To us, vinyl was something you scratched rather than just let play cos obviously that's the way we'd mostly seen pop groups use it. I suppose different age groups will use a technology in different ways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

So he's smart enough to come out with crap like "I managed to create an impromptu shuffle feature simply by holding down 'rewind' and releasing it randomly", but it took him 3 days to figure out you can turn the tape over:confused:
    I'd say he must have fun getting dressed in the morning!

My walkman was fairly shagged by the time I put it into retirement in 2004 - if you wanted to play a tape you have to put it in the opposite way around and flick the reverse switch... Happy memories, good times... :)

Wow, whatever about Discmans, I'm amazed at the amount of people (between this thread and those who responded to the article) still using Walkmans (tapes?!) in the late 90s/early 2000s! And I'm not someone who makes the conversion to new technology easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I had to dig mine out after reading this thread. Didn't think I'd be able to test it out without any tapes knocking around, but there was one in it! Sounds pretty damn warbly, not sure if that's the tape or a semi-dead battery, but it still works... just! ~17 years old now.

3732497507_c96862956b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Interesting article but no way is that the language of a 13 year old kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dudess wrote: »
    Wow, whatever about Discmans, I'm amazed at the amount of people (between this thread and those who responded to the article) still using Walkmans (tapes?!) in the late 90s/early 2000s! And I'm not someone who makes the conversion to new technology easily...

I had a couple of discmans (discmen:confused:), but was always too skint to buy a model that didn't eat through batteries, so always went back to my trusty walkman.
    Got my 3rd gen iPod for my 21st and haven't looked back since.

Say whatever you like about discmans, but since the portable mp3 revolution didn't kick off until the beginning of the 00s, and players were prohibitively expensive for a few years after that, you can't really blame some of us for hanging on to good old cassettes...
    Scien wrote: »
    They make it sound like an antique.
    Well it is about the now 30 year old original walkman, not the flashier newer models that most of us had. (mine had a built in radio... BADASS!)

Oh I'm not criticising people for listening to tapes up to relatively recently, just surprised. :)
    My Walkman was similar to that, Tzetze. Also purchased 17 years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I have to say that I still use tapes and vinyl the whole time, and I would still tape records onto tapes!!.. I would never part with my record player (which I have over 20 years at this stage and it is still going strong) but I bought a 12" recently (as they seem to be coming back into fashion) and the vinyl is actually heavier, couldn't play it as the turntable wouldn't turn with the weight of it!.. turntable's must be built like tanks these days.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Dudess wrote: »

Yep - I was one of these people too - didn't get a CD player until 2001 or 2002 and even then I couldn't afford a disman - besides all my music was on tape! Most of my tapes before that were recorded from the radio (despite chatty djs who start talking before the song is over!) or copied from my friends (who had CDs)

I remember getting one that had tetris built into the side of it!

I saw someone a walkman recently on the dart and remember thinking it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ah the Walkman. Gone are the days of long journeys and having about have a dozen different tapes to keep you occupied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i feel quite young:Dmy first walkman had the brick game on the side of it that you could play while listeing to tapes,did make the walkman screw up the tapes though....still happy times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

have a panasonic radio cassete player- nov 1987 still going strong
    still dont own an mp3 but have a ton of tapes and cds
    theres loads of tapes out there their just not here in ireland- as well tapes made from 94 on are the crystilite type and are pure sh!te they gave tape a bad name
    the solid type (green label) agfa were the best and proberbly memorex after that:p:):)

Scien wrote: »
    They make it sound like an antique.
    It kinda is... :o

I remember when my brother got his in the mid 80s - everyone in the house was just so fascinated by it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

The best thing about Walkman is that it could only play one cassette and limited songs. Even though MP3 give us plenty of storage and songs, i realize that i now do not have the patient to listen to one whole album. I keep shuffling whenever the songs is not that nice. Walkman forces me to listen to the whole album and sometime i discover some hidden nice songs. Now, i just skip...hahah
    This comment holds true for me as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

mental07 wrote: »
    This comment holds true for me as well :o

And me. I've noticed that the albums I had on tape back in my student days, I knew every single song, because you just let the thing play and you got to know the whole thing. Doesn't happen these days with MP3s (I embraced MP3 very early because I thought it was great and I worked in that area). Being honest though, cassette is a terrible medium from an audio perspective, vinyl is much better. I still have my turntable and buy the odd release on vinyl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement