Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in the Netherlands updated their prices & packages :o)

Options
  • 17-07-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

looks to me like they're preparing to harmonise their packages across all their localities in time for the 'big' upgrade before the end of this year. :)

Price (p/m) € 18,00* € 25,00* € 30,00* € 40,00* € 50,00* € 70,00*
    Download 5 Mbps 25 Mbps 30 Mbps 60 Mbps 90 Mbps 120 Mbps
    Upload 512 Kbps 1,5 Mbps 3 Mbps 6 Mbps 6 Mbps 10 Mbps

i could be wrong of course, but that's what it looks like to me, so as suspected (and this is still conjecture obviously) it looks to me like the current 10mbps/1mbps package will move to 30mbps/3mbps and the current 20mbps package ill be come the 60mbps/6mbps package.

i'm pretty sure that not so long ago the 120mbps package in NL was either €80-90 so that's a big cut there too. i'm wondering if my budget can stretch that far.

feck knows what i'd do with 120mbps, but it would be fun to have. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

You can't compare the Netherlands with Ireland imo .... they have something called infrastructure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If this is the case, time to start looking at upgrading my wireless router, 802.11g will be too slow for most of these packages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm fairly sure this won't filter through to Ireland..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

weisses wrote: »
    You can't compare the Netherlands with Ireland imo .... they have something called infrastructure :p

Exactly.
    98% of all houses in Holland are connected to cable, most of them to glassfiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You would want a 40 Terabyte cap to be to not worry about excess on 120Mbps BB. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

watty wrote: »
    You would want a 40 Terabyte cap to be to not worry about excess on 120Mbps BB. :)
    And a hell of alot of external HD's..

Oh.. What's that? UPC sell them?

THEYGUNNAGETUS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Ah I think this is jumping the gun and being way too optimistic here?
    Look at UPC in all the other domains like....

http://www.upc.ro/internet/
    http://www.upc.cz/internet/
    http://www.upc.pl/internet/
    Not to mention our own domain...

No one touches NL's speeds simply cause their infrastructure is one of the best in fact their highest pack is 4 times as fast as any other or UPC's branches across Europe?

If anything looking at the mean average across all of their branches its more likely that they would bring the highest pack of 20mb up to 30 to be in line across Europe ..... changing it to 120mb would put it way out of line!

Not that it wouldn't be great to have a provider with 120mb speeds but its very unrealistic to think they would do this. It would be over kill to a massive degree, be extremely difficult with they way Ireland's HFC network is now and take them way out of line with their sister branches.

Sorry:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

inforfun wrote: »
    Exactly.
    98% of all houses in Holland are connected to cable, most of them to glassfiber.

Incorrect. Only a tiny amount are connected by fibre (a trial in Amsterdam - 37,000 homes). The rest are HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coax).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funkyflea wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure this won't filter through to Ireland..
    you might want to re-think what you're fairly sure about, because I'm very sure it will. ;)

it's already been in the news and discussed quite a bit on here before.

here's the original announcement where everybody expected Ireland to get left out in the cold when UPC announced it for NL in 2008 and said they'd be following through with the rest of their territories in 2009: http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2008/09/16/upc-to-roll-out-120-mbps-high-speed-internet/

and here's the announcement specifically for Ireland in April this year: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12855/

there was another article i read saying it would be here by the end of this year, but that one seems to indicate mid-2010, but it's still pretty impressive either way.

UPC NL is the flagship country of the UPC brand and as such they get all the good stuff first, but it always seems to filter down to the rest of their territories over time.

UPC NL prices used to be slightly higher than the IE ones for the same products before the 120mbps upgrade there, and when they did the initial upgrades their 20mbps package became 60mbps and their 10mbps became 30mbps etc.

now they are bringing their prices more in sync with Ireland, so i don't think it's too much of a stretch to see the other territories coming into line in the near future so that they have the same packages at the same price point in all their territories.

yes, it's just guesswork at the moment, but the mere fact that they are bringing down prices in NL already having had 120mbps in NL for less than 12 months has to be a good sign for everyone doesn't it? or maybe I'm just an optimist? :)

EDIT: oh, and here's the thread where we were discussing it here 3 months ago when it was first announced in Ireland for anyone who missed it (or anyone who still thinks I'm making it up, lol!) :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552453

Advertisement