Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where credit's due!

Options
  • 17-07-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just off the phone to eircom broadband support, after having a nightmare 2 days of dropped connections every few mins, DSL unavailable, etc.

Initially I'd related this to their DNS issues, and was getting pretty p'd off. Missed support's 10pm closing last night by 5 mins, which didn't help my mood.

But rang them this morning and the guy there - Dan - listened directly to what I told him (no stupid 50 questions to get to the 51st relevant one) and he did a few checks on the connection status and response from my modem, and deduced that the modem was kaput / flaky.....cue memory from me of a single MASSIVE lightning strike on Wed night "near the house".

So he ordered a new one to arrive on Monday, and mentioned that if I was stuck I could grab a cheap one.....triggering a memory of an old ADSL2 modem that was here.

10 mins later - and via calling back and getting a guy called Robert (because the old one had wireless protection enabled and I didn't want to waste their time while I sorted that aspect) all is up and running!

So thanks - via boards - to Dan & Robert @ eircom support for this one. If it hadn't been for the DNS issues, I might have thought of doing a modem swap, but the fact is that I hadn't, so it was completely their suggestions and help that has me up and running 3 or 4 days earlier than I otherwise would have been.

I'll tell it like it is, and I haven't always been a fan of eircom coz of prices and tactics when I was with Smart, but those are company policies; this post is re those 2 - Irish, I might add - guys in support, and credit where credit's due.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You can get good support, especially from people who have been there for a year or more. I've had okay experiences with Perlico so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Actually i got a decent irish lad on the end of a support line back a few months and he was well sound. Totally down to earth none of the "is your computer turned on" out of the manual crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

What exactly does being Irish have to do with anything here?
    I work for a Tech support department in a large multinational, my colleague is Portuguese and is by a lot of measures as good as if not better than the vast majority of IT professionals I have dealt with? We deal on a daily basis with clients who wouldn't be very tech savvy and there has never been an issue with her nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Actually it was a statement; that i was talking to a nice Irish lad from eircom a few months back. I could have easily have said i was talking to a nice Portuguese lad too.

There was nothing in my post to imply that him being Irish somehow made him technically more competent, you were just assuming (wrongly) that that's what i meant.

To assume makes an ass out of u and me? :D

I worked Tech support with a polish guy 3 years ago and hes probably the most competent, down to earth person Ive known.

On the other hand, ive had some people that i couldnt understand on the other end of a helpline and thats just akward and frustrating. Its nice to hear a familiar accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Given the fact that you were calling an Irish call center from Ireland and dicussing this on an Irish forum... saying you got through to a nice "irish lad" is very irrelivant then and in the context of your location it gives the impression that being Irish was a defining point of him being compitent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

I have only goo things to say about Eircom support, they were very helpful and efficient when I had some Netopia router issues.
    They keep a 'notebook' on your issue so when you need to call back about the same issue whoever takes the call can check all the background.

I got left on hold during the first DNS attack which was annoying but then I had no clue they were fielding 200, 000 calls over those 2 days!

I could save €5 per month to get the same spec service from Perlico but having had decent customer service from Eircom for 5 years I don't see the need to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

hightower1 wrote: »
    Given the fact that you were calling an Irish call center from Ireland and dicussing this on an Irish forum... saying you got through to a nice "irish lad" is very irrelivant then and in the context of your location it gives the impression that being Irish was a defining point of him being compitent.

You are the only one who has assumed this, please stop making an issue out of nothing.

Advertisement