Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new socket, no other sockets nearby

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I want to put a twin socket in a bedroom in my new house but the wall where I am intending to put the socket has no other sockets on it from where I can take power.

There are doors either side of the wall also so I can't bring power from another socket in the room.

There are two light switches and also a fan isolator switch on the wall so can I wire a socket to one of these? - safely?

The bedroom is upstairs there is a power shower in the ensuite behind the wall with a pump wired in the attic, and also a socket wired in the attic so would I be best to try and take power from the socket in the attic?

(I already need to bring a coaxial cable from the attic for the TV to this point so maybe its the best option?)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are two light switches and also a fan isolator switch on the wall so can I wire a socket to one of these? - safely?
    No

Is it possible to get a cable back to the distribution board (fuse board)?

What is the wall made of?? Is it a solid block wall or partition??

What is the floor in the room made of?? Is it a wooden floor? Can you easily lift a plank?

Can you lift floor boards upstairs above (or close to) the new socket position??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if you drill a hole in top of stud? you can prob drop down a co-ax and 2.5 t&e(from attic socket) to 2 flush boxes easy enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP, remember:

A socket circuit should not supply any more than 2 rooms (a hall is not counted as a room).

Radial socket circuits should not supply anymore than 10 twin socket outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

spot on davelerave!!!!

obiously high-level points are usually handy (no noggins) from attic socket on a stud wall .if its solid wall you'd prob still have to drop down surface anyway unless 'low- level' is wanted or handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Floor in the room is fiberboard of some sort with click laminate laid on top so can't easily get down there without ruining floor so would prefer to come from above in attic.

Its partition walls, think I'll drop from the socket in the attic and bring the cable and coax down from above through the stud and put in two of those snap in backboxes into the plasterboard.

Would this be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

thats the job man, so much neater!!

prob. assuming attic socket is suitable for connecting to.at high-level you prob wont encounter noggins on 'drop'.flat screen bracket prob screw to timber studding . you can get a sparkie to do work.edit;a safety concern 'could be' the cable proximity to shower cubicle in partition(risk of introducing voltage via fixing or screw in cubicle).surface in bedroom would eliminate this issue . a trained sparkie will do job safely anyhow.

I think I would have to agree with all of davelerave's advice. As he said, make sure that the socket you plan to connect to in the attic is suitable, i.e. that it is correctly wired (with 2.5 cable), the circuit is not over loaded and the circuit has proper protection (RCD protection, correct MCB etc.).

If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, get a registered qualified electrician to carry out the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks all for the advice - it is greatly appreciated.

@2011 - Thanks for the advice, I've seen before how easy it is to tie into all forms of circuits but equally how dangerous many of these "setups" are..

I asked the electrician who wired the house and he tells me that it will be fine to do this.

I had intended adding further sockets in the bedroom which would be linked to existing ones on another wall (which will no longer be used because of a furniture rearrangement exercise) but he advised me against doing this so I'll just settle for the one for teh TV to come from the socket in the attic.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

You are welcome :)

Advertisement