Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest transport vehicle you can drive on a B licence?

• 17-07-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I want to hire a vehicle for a wine-buying trip to France. What would be the car/minivan with the largest storage space for boxes that I could use on a B licence? I was thinking maybe a jeep or people carrier with the seats folded down.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

A high roof transit with LWB.

The only problem you will have is ensuring the vehicle isn't overloaded as I'd say all of that wine/glass weighs a fair bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Excuse my ignorance. What's LWB?

Edit: okay, duh, long wheelbase.

http://www.fordtransitdirect.co.uk/newsales/newvans/transit/technicalspec.aspx

This page will show you the max payload for each type of transit. I presume you'll be hiring the vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Remember too that you might get hassle from customs bringing back anything over 80 or it could be 90 litres per person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

UB wrote: »

Long Wheel Base.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

It means Long Wheel Base, meaning it has more distance between the front and rear wheels than a short wheel base vehicle. So basically, you can fit more wine in! :)

Edit: okay, duh, long wheelbase.
    Long Wheel Base

Your limit's are here, it must be for personal use

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I want to hire a vehicle for a wine-buying trip to France. What would be the car/minivan with the largest storage space for boxes that I could use on a B licence? I was thinking maybe a jeep or people carrier with the seats folded down.

Thanks for any advice!

Anything up to a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg ( i.e combined weight of vehicle and payload do not exceed 3500kg ). The actuall size of the vehicle is not the important bit, its if it has a tachograph or not. You cant drive a vehicle with a tachograph on a B license. Some vehicles ( for example an Iveco Daily van ) can be the very same size but with an uprated suspension and a tachograph can be deemed to carry twice the payload of the normal version that you can drive on a car license. If you're going to France to fill up with wine I'd be more worried about customs than anything. There is a limit as to how much you can bring back. And I know a way around part of this is to split the paying for the load across many different credit cards so you can claim its for each individual persons personal consumption. ;) I forget the limit but I think its about 200 bottles each.

david wrote: »
    Long Wheel Base

Your limit's are here, it must be for personal use

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

So two people at 90 litres each - 180 litres. Bottles are .75 litres, so that's 240 bottles. At 6 bottles to the box, that's 40 boxes of wine.

Should fit most of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I rented a large transit van before (to move) and Insurance was not included so I transferred my car policy to it. This cost me money with quinn.
    Unless you are buying hundreds of bottles of wine then a car with insurance included is your best bet.

Try www.autoeurope.ie

You could get a Volkswagen Caravelle 9 seater with them and look out for the Gold rate or the rate with refundable excess.

Oh wait, on thinking about it you will not be allowed to take it on a ferry. You will have to check with other suppliers to see if they will allow you to but many will not allow you to do that.

• Advertisement

So two people at 90 litres each - 180 litres. Bottles are .75 litres, so that's 240 bottles. At 6 bottles to the box, that's 40 boxes of wine.

I brought 140 bottles back this time last year for my wedding and that much fitted into the boot of the car. 250 odd bottles probably will too. You probably dont need a van at all.

You can get beer, cigarettes, cigarillo's aswell just to make the trip worthwile!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I brought 140 bottles back this time last year for my wedding and that much fitted into the boot of the car. 250 odd bottles probably will too. You probably dont need a van at all.

I drive a mini. You'd be lucky to get a shoulder bottle in the boot.

I drive a mini. You'd be lucky to get a shoulder bottle in the boot.

Ah Ok :D ... Check out a people carrier without the seats first. Draws less attention ;)

Mercedes Sprinter LWB. I used to get some amount of stuff in the back when I was working for a builder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

Are car rental companies ok with people taking their cars out of the country?

Advertisement