Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Have quit 4 days - went out last night and had quite a few vinos and am so proud I managed to abstain. Am eating a little bit more but hitting the gym every day. Taking it day by day and telling myself I'm not going to have a smoke today.

Just some advice please, am hoping those happy non-smokers will be able to help me. I FEEL ROTTEN:( I mean really rotten. I know this is not a medical forum but I have a stiff neck, chest tightness, sore limbs and sore throat - have Googled and apparently these symptoms are to be expected. Antibiotics will be of no use, can you guys recommend something that would help me feel a little bit better? Any tips/advice on how to ease yourself over these physical withdrawals?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fussyhussey

HI Miss Fluff!!

On the 6th of July I was off fags for 6 months. I'm in my mid twenties and had been smoking for the guts of 10 years on or off. I got to the point where I knew if I didn't quit I'd be gone too far.

The thing I found weird wasn't the first week but the second and third. Everyone is all psyched up and full of encourgements for the first couple of weeks but everyone forgets after that and you're pretty much on your own so you need to keep the will-power. ou'll start thinking things like 'well if I managed a week I mustn't be as bad a smoker as I thought 'etc but this is your brain trying to trick you.

A few things I did:
    When I was mad for a fag I'd do something that involved me getting up, so go get a drink of water or go the the loo or something (the excess water helps with detox too) someone told me the craving only last like 30seconds so all you do is distract yourself.

I went totally cold turkey on the drink for about a month. Nothing nada not even a can in the house. It did help though because I REALLY saw the money when I quit both at the same time

My most nerve wracking time is not my smoking friends or my non-smoking friends but the ones who smoke when they drink. I find them most agitating so if I'm going getting trollied I put a box of the herbal cigarettes (€2-4 euro in holland and barretts) in the bag in case anything happens. They smell like crap and my smokoing friends insist they taste like sh*t but its more the habit I have. I've stopped completely smoking them now too but they helped at the hump.

Every time you detox (another spot comes up or another wheezing fit) you just need to remind yourself its a good thing your body is getting rid of the crap and that old saying, better out than in.

You should stick with it. I put on a small amount of weight but am really so much fitter and healthier. It rarely crosses my mind.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks a mill for moral support. You have achieved so much - well done!!

I've smoked 25-30 for fifteen years so I know there is A LOT of sh1t to work its way out of my system. Am drinking lots of water and fruit juice etc. Have you any tips on natural remedies or treatments that may help with the physical discomfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fussyhussey

Well as much as I'm proud of myself I'm ashamed I let it go on so long!

I know this sounds ridiculous but really trying to positively view whats happening helped me. Last time I quit I really focussed on how crap I felt this time I just kept positive, had to get worse before it got better typw thing. I also read and watched films a lot while at home wrapped up in a dressing gown and a hot water, really pampered myself. I had a cold for 3-4 weeks, that was my curse. I also made it my business to sleep loads, its the body's natural way of recovering. Plus around week 3 or 4 the nicotine withdrawal threw insomnia at me so I was glad I'd 'charged' the old batter. Green tea helps cos its a detoxifier, oh the other thing that was great were the foot detox patches, I did them on all levels of my feet to get everything. Being nice to yourself helps a lot!

Thanks, I think a duvet weekend is a great idea. Haven't heard of detox patches either, will have a look in the chemist for them, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jeckel

i'ld say half your problem is that you're holding a load of tension in your shoulders because you're really on edge. with all that money you're saving on fags, go do something relaxing. it'll make giving up feel worthwhile as well.

• Advertisement

jeckel wrote: »
    i'ld say half your problem is that you're holding a load of tension in your shoulders because you're really on edge. with all that money you're saving on fags, go do something relaxing. it'll make giving up feel worthwhile as well.

Thanks, maybe will try a massage.

Advertisement