Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend first school bag?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

My oldest is going to school this september for the first time.

The school don't want those wheelie bags and have said it only needs to be big enough to carry an A4 sized book, but majority of books will be kept at school.

I assume it will have to be big enough to put a lunch box in too?

What kind of bag is usual- shoulder strap or backpack? Any nice ones for girls that you could recommend?

Where is good to buy them- dunnes, penneys or anywhere else?

Might sound like a silly question but this is my first and haven't a clue!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Back packwith two straps. Ok her first year the bag will not be heavy at all but tht will change over the years and it's best to get her used to a bag wtih two straps and using them right from the start for the sake of her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wantobe wrote: »
    I assume it will have to be big enough to put a lunch box in too?
    No idea. General question: do kids still use those lunchbox things with a handle on them?

388314595_dc36e41917.jpg

It's been a while since I was at primary school, so I don't know. What I do know, is that they were dead handy at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yup a backpack is good. You can get them with all the usual characters on them. Barbie, Dora etc. Most will fit your A4 workbooks plus a hard lunchbox. If it has a separate pocket for a drink even better, because 5yos and bottles = leaks. :)

Tescos have them, Heatons probably do too, Dunnes.... as well as school bookshops, theres usually no shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

the_syco wrote: »
    No idea. General question: do kids still use those lunchbox things with a handle on them?

388314595_dc36e41917.jpg

It's been a while since I was at primary school, so I don't know. What I do know, is that they were dead handy at the time.

As a primary teacher I will give you my tuppence worth...Some do use them but it is more convenient for a child to have a sensible lunch box and drinks bottle in a compartment in their bag. They will only have one bag to remember and be responsible for then. It will also take up less room in a probably crowded classroom. Sometimes they may have their coat to carry and maybe some artwork to bring home! If they wear their coat and have the backpack on their back (with lunch in it!) then the child has two hands free to carry something or maybe just to balance themselves:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks to all who replied. So, a backpack and a lunch box that fits into it, maybe with a bottle holder. Got it.

Now off to the shops with my little one to choose one that she'd like ( now that I know which ones to let her choose from!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement