Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready Made Pastry

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

where can i buy ready made pastry, i've tried and tried to make my own and it's dire and i will continue to try but want to make a quiche this evening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You'll get 'jusroll' in most supermarkets in the freezer section. It's REALLY worth making your own, it's so easy! Just make sure your butter is cold and (as my mother would say) Don't be mauling it! I can't remember where I was told, but I use a knife to bring it together. If you have a food processor, you can blitz it with a blade - which is foolproof. And make sure you let it rest in the fridge before you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is pastry just butter and flour?

Des wrote: »

Yup, and some water to bind it. Add sugar if you're making a tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In what kind of ratio?

100g Flour would need how much butter/sugar?

Usually 1/2 fat to flour. So 100g flour will take 50g butter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

I'd only buy premade pastry if I needed filo pastry because it's a pain in the hole to make

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Des wrote: »

And a pinch of salt. If you want the pastry a bit richer bind it with a beaten egg instead of water.
    You need to leave it in the fridge in a freezer bag for at least 20 minutes to rest before rolling it out or it'll be too soft to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tipex

Thanks I think i've just had a few bad experiences making my own, also don't have rolling pin, every time go to buy one there aren't any in the places i thought would have them. I think i'm going to buy a food processor any recommendations!?! sorry going off my own topic now

tipex wrote: »
    Thanks I think i've just had a few bad experiences making my own, also don't have rolling pin, every time go to buy one there aren't any in the places i thought would have them. I think i'm going to buy a food processor any recommendations!?! sorry going off my own topic now

I don't have a rolling pin either, I use a wine bottle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

wobzilla wrote: »
    I'd only buy premade pastry if I needed filo pastry because it's a pain in the hole to make

The rolling pin is best grasped firmly in both hands......;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement