Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club: "The Diceman" - Luke Rhinehart / "Fooled by Randomness" - Nicholas T

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Can I suggest a rule? Any book that's part of the leaving cert curriculum or is commonly studied for junior cert is ruled out. Catcher in the Rye is a prime example of a book that has been ruined by English teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

fatguy wrote: »
    Can I suggest a rule? Any book that's part of the leaving cert curriculum or is commonly studied for junior cert is ruled out. Catcher in the Rye is a prime example of a book that has been ruined by English teachers.

seriously ?
    The only danger in picking catcher in the rye is that when I murder one of you guys, the conspiracy theory forum will blame the book.

Don't discard a quality book because Mr Chips was mean to you.

LOL http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27885

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Surely that's a brilliant reason to re-visit those great books??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I was consistently disappointed by Hemmingway until I read this book. Incredibly powerful mediation on life and death, he never wrote any else even approaching this.

shut yo' jibber-jabber fool

A Farewell to Arms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Ste05 wrote: »
    Surely that's a brilliant reason to re-visit those great books??
    I suppose. I just think I'd struggle not to associate it with school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

If its just one book then i'll suggest: The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoevsky

c10187.jpg

Not recommending it based on this forum, just purely because it is one of the best books ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I suppose. I just think I'd struggle not to associate it with school.

did you have a bad time in school fatguy? tell us your sufferings, we are a benevolent crew

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

If its just one book then i'll suggest: The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    I really think people should be nominating 2-3, at least 2, with a main one and then an ancillary one for people who have read it already or just don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Also with some people succumbing to all fiction recommendations, remember we're not women.

hotspur wrote: »
    Also with some people succumbing to all fiction recommendations, remember we're not women.
    too late girls, look a book club

no talking about yer kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

True,you can't whine about nancy-boy fiction selections and be a member of a book club.

Icarus152 wrote: »
    True,you can't whine about nancy-boy fiction selections and be a member of a book club.

its nancy drew , my next recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

YULETIRED wrote: »
    its nancy drew , my next recommendation

Ronnie's daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

pffft, clearly mills and boon is the next stop.

feck, you pre-wrecked my next choice :pac:

0340878282.jpg

Ste05 wrote: »
    I really think people should be nominating 2-3, at least 2, with a main one and then an ancillary one for people who have read it already or just don't want to.

My (real) second choice is a book that i'd say no-one has read, but which is absolutely brilliant. It's called Flat Earth News (Nick Davies, a Guardian and BBC journalist) and is about how the world's media is being dumbed down to the point where there is no real reporting on newsworthy events.

It's absolutely brilliant.

flat_earth_news_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭The_Daddy_H

shut yo' jibber-jabber fool

A Farewell to Arms

Bah, worth reading just for the end IMO. Hemmingway dont do happy endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'll put these two forward.

6a00d4143d5a7f685e010980c5fcf4000b-500pi

058608132102lzzzzzzz.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

I'll go with these two,

8f08e10e22a011601f271210.L.jpg

51M7o6W3UcL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I read American Psycho, the movie was pretty funny, but bygod, the book was terrible.

Literature Fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so are we actually setting dates and reading these things, or are we just going to list lots of books to impress each other and then pretend to read them?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Mellor wrote: »
    Literature Fail

Yeah it was pretty dire! Don't think I even finished it! Very odd/stupid book.

zuroph wrote: »
    so are we actually setting dates and reading these things, or are we just going to list lots of books to impress each other and then pretend to read them?

I think we are getting our lists in by Friday and then setting up a poll for which list to tackle after The Dice Man has been digested. To give folk time for The Dice Man I think this means late August / start of September for the reading of the first book(s) voted upon as a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah it was pretty dire! Don't think I even finished it! Very odd/stupid book.
    Firstly, you can't really fully comment unless you've read it all.
    Secondly, Are you sure you are talking about American Psycho by Ellis? and not something you read in error.

I haven't seen the film, apparently its funny at times. But the book isn't supposed to be funny.
    Obviously the subject matter is a pretty dark. Theres no room or need for comedy (bar the insults and put-downs)

I admit at times the rambling is hard to get through. But the character development needs it. I'd really give it another shot. It was recomended to me in the BBV, and when has the BBV been wrong?

Secondly, Are you sure you are talking about American Psycho by Ellis? and not something you read in error.

I haven't seen the film, apparently its funny at times. But the book isn't supposed to be funny.
    Obviously the subject matter is a pretty dark. Theres no room or need for comedy (bar the insults and put-downs)

I admit at times the rambling is hard to get through. But the character development needs it. I'd really give it another shot. It was recomended to me in the BBV, and when has the BBV been wrong?

You're obviously a big fan, sorry I just didn't like it. I read the majority of the book, but think I stopped after he graphically described one of his quite nasty experiences with a hooker. It was all just a bit too gritty for me. And to be honest I didn't think it was particularly good in any way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I think its one of the best written books I've ever read. However one of my friends who doesn't read much and once wanted to bet against the first law of thermodynamics thought it was badly written. Can you spot a pattern!

I think its one of the best written books I've ever read. However one of my friends who doesn't read much and once wanted to bet against the first law of thermodynamics thought it was badly written. Can you spot a pattern!

U brainboxes luvs it!! Us big dummies not like?

Diceman just arrived,

I read this book many moons ago so it'll be an interesting and new experince to revisit Mr Rheinhart's crazy world.

U brainboxes luvs it!! Us big dummies not like?

Well to be fair Ted you managed to misunderstand a 2 word sentence from Mellor when he wrote "Literature fail", thinking he was agreeing with your analysis rather than having a pop at you.

Anyway this is not the best way to start our book club debating. I'm pretty sure it will be better when we start if we de-BBV the rhetoric and engage in the points being made rather than lol'ing at each other.

I for one intend reading Tight Ted's recommendation and am looking forward to it (didn't HIVEndhoven recommend that one too in BBV?).

I guess I better stick in my recommendations if we are putting up the lists for voting tomorrow.

Primary recommendation:

An introduction to philosophical analysis - John Hospers

41JGF190BEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Why? This is a fantastic introductory book to philosophical thinking as it straddles the student and layman market wonderfully. Its language is very simple and clear. Some people talk about how a novel will "change your life" and I have never understood how. But this book will change you if you read it.

Philosophy is a skill, when you grasp the fundamentals of the different areas of it you will think radically differently. Without wishing to overstate the case I consider that the difference between how a person acquainted with philosophical analysis views and thinks about things relative to someone who isn't so acquainted is similar to the difference between an adult and a child. If you read this book you will grow up intellectually and be amazed in retrospect at how fundamental your previous deficiency in framing your thinking was.

I think this may have been my first philosophy book and so I am very nostalgic about it. Anyone can read this book, it is very accessible. Please do yourself a huge favour and read this book.
    Here is Amazon reviews of the 4th edition (I have read the 3rd edition):
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Philosophical-Analysis-John-Hospers/product-reviews/0132663058/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Well you'll need a few laughs after that one so...
    The Time Machine Did It - John Swartzwelder
    414PC6VDV4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Why? Many of you will have heard myself, Yuletired, LaoLao singing the praises of this author. He is the reason why The Simpsons was brilliant back when The Simpsons was brilliant. Quite simply he is the best comedy writer in the world imo. This book is the first in his Frank Burly series. They are all quite small books about a detective who is very Homeresque except more stupid, violent and even less prone to getting hurt. And you will laugh out loud on every page, often having to put the book down you are laughing so hard. Sheer unadulterated comic brilliance.

Here's the opening to the book:
    "As my exciting story opens, I am being punched in the stomach. But I guess a lot of stories start that way. Most of mine do anyway."

Here are Amazon reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Machine-Did-John-Swartzwelder/product-reviews/0975579908/ref=cm_cr_pr_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

For my third recommendation I had to pick a Freud book. The most accessible and interesting to the average reader is The Psychopathology of Everyday Life.
    41WM7GG01SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Why? Here Freud seems to be writing for the layman and it is a fascinating book on how the unconscious manifests itself in all the strange little ways in our lives - why we forget names or words, why we mix up the order of words and make other mistakes in speech, reading, and writing, why we forget certain things and do certain things wrong.

If you read it then you will get an insight into why it is you and others do certain things which seem like trivial mistakes but illuminate an unconscious rationale and motive. So the next time you or someone makes a slip of the tongue (the Freudian slip) you will be equipped to analyse why that happened and what it means.

It's a great book for learning simple applications of psychoanalytic thinking to everyday things. For example whenever a song comes into my head I analyse why that song or artist came into my head and I always get the answer which is sometimes interesting. Read this and you probably will end up being able to do that too, along with being able to analyse a whole range of other little behaviours.

There are too many different editions for a lot of Amazon reviews in one place.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair Ted you managed to misunderstand a 2 word sentence from Mellor when he wrote "Literature fail", thinking he was agreeing with your analysis rather than having a pop at you.

Anyway this is not the best way to start our book club debating. I'm pretty sure it will be better when we start if we de-BBV the rhetoric and engage in the points being made rather than lol'ing at each other.

I for one intend reading Tight Ted's recommendation and am looking forward to it (didn't HIVEndhoven recommend that one too in BBV?).

I guess I better stick in my recommendations if we are putting up the lists for voting tomorrow.

Primary recommendation:

An introduction to philosophical analysis - John Hospers

41JGF190BEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Why? This is a fantastic introductory book to philosophical thinking as it straddles the student and layman market wonderfully. Its language is very simple and clear. Some people talk about how a novel will "change your life" and I have never understood how. But this book will change you if you read it.

Philosophy is a skill, when you grasp the fundamentals of the different areas of it you will think radically differently. Without wishing to overstate the case I consider that the difference between how a person acquainted with philosophical analysis views and thinks about things relative to someone who isn't so acquainted is similar to the difference between an adult and a child. If you read this book you will grow up intellectually and be amazed in retrospect at how fundamental your previous deficiency in framing your thinking was.

I think this may have been my first philosophy book and so I am very nostalgic about it. Anyone can read this book, it is very accessible. Please do yourself a huge favour and read this book.
    Here is Amazon reviews of the 4th edition (I have read the 3rd edition):
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Philosophical-Analysis-John-Hospers/product-reviews/0132663058/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Well you'll need a few laughs after that one so...
    The Time Machine Did It - John Swartzwelder
    414PC6VDV4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Why? Many of you will have heard myself, Yuletired, LaoLao singing the praises of this author. He is the reason why The Simpsons was brilliant back when The Simpsons was brilliant. Quite simply he is the best comedy writer in the world imo. This book is the first in his Frank Burly series. They are all quite small books about a detective who is very Homeresque except more stupid, violent and even less prone to getting hurt. And you will laugh out loud on every page, often having to put the book down you are laughing so hard. Sheer unadulterated comic brilliance.

Here's the opening to the book:
    "As my exciting story opens, I am being punched in the stomach. But I guess a lot of stories start that way. Most of mine do anyway."

Here are Amazon reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Machine-Did-John-Swartzwelder/product-reviews/0975579908/ref=cm_cr_pr_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

For my third recommendation I had to pick a Freud book. The most accessible and interesting to the average reader is The Psychopathology of Everyday Life.
    41WM7GG01SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Why? Here Freud seems to be writing for the layman and it is a fascinating book on how the unconscious manifests itself in all the strange little ways in our lives - why we forget names or words, why we mix up the order of words and make other mistakes in speech, reading, and writing, why we forget certain things and do certain things wrong.

If you read it then you will get an insight into why it is you and others do certain things which seem like trivial mistakes but illuminate an unconscious rationale and motive. So the next time you or someone makes a slip of the tongue (the Freudian slip) you will be equipped to analyse why that happened and what it means.

It's a great book for learning simple applications of psychoanalytic thinking to everyday things. For example whenever a song comes into my head I analyse why that song or artist came into my head and I always get the answer which is sometimes interesting. Read this and you probably will end up being able to do that too, along with being able to analyse a whole range of other little behaviours.

There are too many different editions for a lot of Amazon reviews in one place.

Nice post thanks, I'll check those out.

Advertisement