Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin, One Pico restaurant

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

has anyone been there? Opinions? Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've never been, but two very good friends of mine (whom I respect in their views of food) love it. It's their favourite restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Ate there recently. I would say the food was 6.5/10. They were certainly trying but soup starter was cold but tasty and desert was awful Main course was delicious. Price was good, service was good, wine was good. Id go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Cracking restaurant. It's offering some of the best value for money in Dublin at the moment. If you're in doubt, try the €20 3-course lunch menu. The quality of food and service is top class. I've been three times - once for the early bird, once for the lunch and once for the a la carte. Each one was quality.

Right now, all things considered (the importance of thrift without sacrificing quality), this could be the best restaurant in Dublin. Bon Appetit is up there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ate there, set the menu on fire and burnt my date.

Other than that, fantastic. Would go again and again if I wasnt so mortified and living in dread that the same waiters are still there.

Dating tip, dont set them/their hair on fire...they dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ianisainmdom

legendary stuff. went last nite and was amazed. had duck for starter, lamb for main and chocolate for desert! great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will make a short review after I go there

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Ok, following your suggestions I was there last Friday, this is my short review

I managed to get a table between at 18:45 and it had to be freed before 20:45, that's a pretty good compromise, I called on the same day and they were very kind trying to find a place for me =)

we took the 39 euro set menu, it has a starter, a main course and a dessert, there is also a 29 eu set menu which has a main course and a dessert; I had a look at the wine list and wine prices are not so bad compared to the other restaurants, there isn't a huge choice but that's fine.

I took the red mullet as starter and my wife took the asparagus with quail egg, they were both good, I liked them. So I started to think: I hope it's not the same as usual, where the starter is great and then the rest is not at the same level...
    The service was courteous and really fast, so we they brought the main courses we chose: my wife took the code and I got the sea bream, we had a look at the other tables and the meat looked great but I wanted to try some fish. That was a great disappointment, the sea bream was really dry, I thought it was frozen and then thawed, if not it was certainly handled poorly when it was time to cook it, I tasted a bit of cod and it was better but, still, not good; I thought that next time I'm going to have meat here.

Then we have the dessert, I took the vanilla cheesecake mousse with red fruits and my wife took the creme brulee; my dessert was too sweet, but really really sweet, the creme brulee was not so great.

So, I liked the restaurant, I think that it deserves another visit but I wouldn't advise go to for fish or dessert, so probably next time I'll go for meat and skip the dessert.

I've been there just once, so take this review with a pinch of salt, probably I had bad luck with some dishes :-), I hope you find it helpful though.

Advertisement