Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX WITH SATA HDD

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Anyone here have an original xbox unchipped that has successfully fitted a sata hdd using one of those cheap ebay sata to ide adapters ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I tried mine (but it chipped with x3) with samsung 500gb but it was slowing down every few seconds. I left the idea, sold the hard drive and I've got myself 500gb IDE drive, working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

I have 2 x with 160gig ide's and just picked up a brand new never used crystal xbox and will be fitting a 250gig hdd into that, sata hdd's are cheap now so if i can make it work i might upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've done at least 10

All have worked, some a bit easier than others

It seems like newer versions of xboxs (1.6 etc) have issues with larger drives.
    I had a few problems with 500gb and Tbs in 1.6s.

I had a 500gb hard drive that was giving error 9 in a 1.6, locked it to a diffrent xboxs eeprom and it worked perfectly (in the diffrent xbox).

You can get around this error 9 problem by adding a switch that powers the hard drive up without powering up the xbox, you power it up for a second or two then turn on the xbox as normal, works fine.

I mainly used samsung spin points hard drives.

I used this adapter it fits perfectly in the xbox without the need to modify anything.

I've done at least 10

All have worked, some a bit easier than others

It seems like newer versions of xboxs (1.6 etc) have issues with larger drives.
    I had a few problems with 500gb and Tbs in 1.6s.

I had a 500gb hard drive that was giving error 9 in a 1.6, locked it to a diffrent xboxs eeprom and it worked perfectly (in the diffrent xbox).

You can get around this error 9 problem by adding a switch that powers the hard drive up without powering up the xbox, you power it up for a second or two then turn on the xbox as normal, works fine.

I mainly used samsung spin points hard drives.

I used this adapter it fits perfectly in the xbox without the need to modify anything.

That adapter looks pretty bulky, are there any clearance issues with the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

:)

• Advertisement

:)

Doh................its cold and early and kids are awake .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Earl.E.Byrd

Is there some sort of compatability list for the SATA drives?

Is there some sort of compatability list for the SATA drives?

No its a suck it and see type of thing, from what i understand the xbox needs to be chipped before a sata hdd will work but i havent tried. I have 2 x setup as wireless so i dont really need a bigger hdd - freenas server would be better idea.

Advertisement