Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Galway City

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Just wondering, is it common here for apartments to be taken in a 'queuing' system. By which I mean, the first person to view a flat gets first refusal, regardless of whether an offer was made or not?
    It's happened to me twice now that I've found an ideal flat and offered to pay the deposit there & then, only to be told that someone else saw it first and I have to wait for them to decide if they want it or not.
    Starting to annoy me cos I work, so I can't necessarily get the very first viewing of every flat that's out there, and I don't understand why a landlord would turn down a definite offer in favour of waiting to see if the 1st person to look at the place wants it.
    Is that just the way it works over here as I know at least 1 property mgmt company that gives 1st viewers dibs as policy? In the UK its first accepted offer gets the flat which makes more sense to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

LOL

If they're allowing people first refusal just because they've seen it first... that's funny.

Could just be that the landlord would prefer to have the first people as tenants, like the look of them better etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Generally that's something that people say when they just don't want to let you the apartment for some reason, or if they want to meet a few people and select the one they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, renting out a room is a lot to do with chemistry.
    You have show it to 5-6 people and then pick whoever you feel will work out the best, it's your house after all.

As a tip, stay a while longer and engage in conversation, ask questions and such. This way you find out whether you'll get along with these people too.

Don't worry, though. Currently there are tons of rooms/flats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Magnus wrote: »
    You have show it to 5-6 people and then pick whoever you feel will work out the best, it's your house after all.

As a tip, stay a while longer and engage in conversation, ask questions and such. This way you find out whether you'll get along with these people too.

^ what he said. I think this system is best for everyone's benefit. When I first came to Galway (almost 3 years ago) it was very tough to get a room, current residents could afford to be very picky about who they chose to move in, these days people will still probably try to find the ideal person instead of just the first person to wander along, but they won't afford to be able to do so for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Magnus wrote: »

See, I would have though that, but we're only ever renting a flat for two of us, no flatshares so chemistry not really an issue. As for not liking the look of us, the first mgmt company did rent us a flat of comparable quality (we just didn't like it as much as the other one for some reason) in the same area so they can't have tohught we were too bad. We did ask and they say the first person to see any flat gets dibs until 12 the next day, and after that it's a queuing system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well best of luck with the hunt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

try City Property services on prospect hill (pm me for the phone number or google it) i have rented with them for a while and they are first class people and usually have a good range of propertys, dont be afraid to haggle i got mine down 150 from the asking price.
    good luck with hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

See, I would have though that, but we're only ever renting a flat for two of us, no flatshares so chemistry not really an issue. As for not liking the look of us, the first mgmt company did rent us a flat of comparable quality (we just didn't like it as much as the other one for some reason) in the same area so they can't have tohught we were too bad. We did ask and they say the first person to see any flat gets dibs until 12 the next day, and after that it's a queuing system.

It's possible that some PM company has that policy, though it's not something I've heard of before.

Or it's possible that their cousin/friend/potential-bed-buddy was the first person to see it, and in this particular case the agent is very keen for that first person to get it.

Advertisement