Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Snip's Calculation Fallacy

Options
  • 17-07-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

The fallacy of savings from an Bord Snip can be displayed in this single example from Volume 2 Detailed report:
    Sport salaries are calculated at 2.1m for a total of 131 persons.
    They recommend reducing staff levels by 20 persons.
    Let’s examine this:
    The average salary is therefore 16k ±.
    So by retarded two dimensional Snip Nua thinking we save €320k.
    But wait dole is 10K per person at the least, not taking rent / mortgage relief.
    So really we have 20 X 6k = €120k saving???
    No wait, these guys organise events, coach teams etc. so now those events and teams cease to exist.
    I wonder has the knock on in sports wear industry, event venue revenue, advertising revenue associated with events, etc. been calculated.
    See sport is, when managed properly, big business, and believe it or not athletes need to be nurtured, so even amateur associations play their part in creating this business. How much tax revenue was received by the Irish state at Dunne’s last fight in the point? I’d say that fight alone more than covers the €120k.
    Could Dunne have rose to those heights without competing in an amateur organisation, where would he learn his ring skills?
    Now I realise that as an architect I have been trained to fully examine a problem and spot creative solutions, and these guys are probably economic engineers only able to work within the limited confines of a problem as stated to them. But please as a country famous for its creativity, what kind of morons are we employing to come up with these kinds of solutions? Has a policy of positive discrimination been adopted, do we have to employ a certain number of vegetables nowadays? What’s the pre-qual for An Bord Snip? Only IQ of less than 40 may apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They're probably assuming that all of those let go as a result pf their grand scheme will become Lemmings, and form an orderly queue at the edge of the Cliffs of Moher, thereby costing Ireland diddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Well, they could reasonably assume a fair number of them will leave by sea, or air, without dying. An increased level of emigration is doubtless assumed...That and perhaps some of us will grab the aul shotgun and do our patriotic duty for the nations finances. Perhaps 'Suicide or Emigrate' will be the 21st century version of To Hell or to Connaught?

And the circle turns...

But yeh, the 'savings' don't factor in the multiplier effects; but give them credit for consistency, they've always been aggressively pro-cyclical, so overheat on the way up, slash on the way down. Economic manic-depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The increased availability of skilled management personnel will drive down costs in other sectors of the economy.

I wouldn't think all these teams and all the associated expenditure would go away just because of this cut.

I would say amateur boxing would be quite far down the list of cuts. I'd hate to start naming sports, but other sports come to mind.

It's a matter of cutting the budget. The money just isn't there to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The fallacy of savings from an Bord Snip can be displayed in this single example from Volume 2 Detailed report:
    Sport salaries are calculated at 2.1m for a total of 131 persons.
    They recommend reducing staff levels by 20 persons.
    Let’s examine this:
    The average salary is therefore 16k ±.
    So by retarded two dimensional Snip Nua thinking we save €320k.
    But wait dole is 10K per person at the least, not taking rent / mortgage relief.
    So really we have 20 X 6k = €120k saving???

There has to be a MAJOR question mark against the above figures, simply because it is not credible that these people are working (presumably fulltime?) for €16k.
    If you scroll down the report to section 2.5 you will see the estimated salary savings from a reduction in staffing levels by 20 as €1million, an average of €50k per head, probably a much more realistic figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do you have a bigger point though , are you saying no cuts should be made?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Perhaps they are already accounted for in the forthcoming increase in the dole figures from 400,000 to the half million so the savings will still apply. After all we are practically guaranteed to have 500thou on the dole in a years time, they might as well consist of public servants to save money.

Advertisement