Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from Toilet

Options
  • 17-07-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There is a vibrating noise coming from two of our toilets. It started with the one in the en-suite upstairs, and now the one downstairs has begun making the noise. It stops if I run the cold tap in the sink beside the toilet but starts again when I turn the tap off. The only way I have found to stop it for a while is to turn the gate valve in the hotpress off (I think this is the pipe that is leading the cold water from the tank upstairs into the house) and then turn it back on again after a minute or two. This will stop the vibrating but it usually starts again a couple of hours later.

Any help / suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi,

There is a vibrating noise coming from two of our toilets. It started with the one in the en-suite upstairs, and now the one downstairs has begun making the noise. It stops if I run the cold tap in the sink beside the toilet but starts again when I turn the tap off. The only way I have found to stop it for a while is to turn the gate valve in the hotpress off (I think this is the pipe that is leading the cold water from the tank upstairs into the house) and then turn it back on again after a minute or two. This will stop the vibrating but it usually starts again a couple of hours later.

Any help / suggestions?

Its sounds linke hammering. But this usually only happens on the mains or the mains pipe up to the attic. If you turn the gate valve half way does it help at all.

Is there a pump on your water supply? Sometimes plumbers fit pumps and pressureise the whole system instead of just the showerhead. This is usually done with a retrofit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

I just stumbled onto the DIY section and notice a good few plumbing problems turn up. I might able to help, as the above post says, sounds like water hammer but I have never heard it happening at a toilet.

Water hammer is caused when a ball cock rapidly opens and closes. This happens when waves are formed while an attic tank is near full. The cause of this is sometimes due to the ball cock being un supported. The rapid opening and closing is traveled through the ball cock supply pipe and you get a banging sound from the pipe rattling through out the building.

I presume your toilets supplied by the attic tank? If this is the case they must be stored at some height to enable a high pressure to cause the water hammer. This doesn't sound right to me.

First are you certain its the toilets? Some times the sound of water hammer can travel to different locations in the house. If your certain I would need to find out more.

Are you now getting the sound in both toilets or has it just moved to the one downstairs? What kind of filler is in the toilet? A traditional ball cock or one of the modern type silent fillers? Is the cold water pressurized by use of a booster pump?

Also have any plumbing alterations been made recently? Or any DIY home improvements been made?

Advertisement