Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City Refund Policy

Options
  • 17-07-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Does anyone else have a gripe with Power City's refund policy ?
    I bought a tv aerial the other day for €6.99 which turned out to be the wrong type. Brought it back today to return it (unused and in box) with the receipt. The assistant informed me that a cash refund can only be given if the item is returned on the same day you bought it :rolleyes:.

So now I have to wait for them to send me out a cheque in the post for €6.99:eek:. The other option they gave me was store credit which was politely refused;).

It seems like a bit of a rigmarole as most places will simply give you a cash refund.

Does anyone else have any similar experiences like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Legally there's no issue TBH. Unless they gave you the wrong aerial when you had asked for a different type, they're not breaching your rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As has been played out on this forum at least 20 times. There is nothing wrong with the item, its just you bought the wrong one.

The shop in question - power city, doesnt have to give you anything. You have no rights whatsoever. It is purely a good will gesture where they give you any refund - by cheque or otherwise.

They can be mean smart feckers (as my inlaws will testify, they did them in the small claims court for something else).

You will just have to accept the cheque in the post.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So let me get this straight...YOU bought the wrong item and you want them to refund you? The item is not faulty its just YOU bought the wrong item....powercity don't have to assist you in anyway you are 100% in the wrong.

They've done nothing wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How can an aerial be wrong?

Anyway, you're getting your money back when you're not actually entitled to it. I'd be fairly happy with the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pete_81

Well thats fair enough then if they are not obliged to give the refund :) just seems like its more hassle to stick a cheqe in the post than refund at the customer service..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

pete_81 wrote: »
    Well thats fair enough then if they are not obliged to give the refund :) just seems like its more hassle to stick a cheqe in the post than refund at the customer service..

Another point... They may be counting on the fact that not everybody will cash a cheque on time.... As far as Power City is concerned, they haven't refunded you until you've cashed the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I would imagine the thinking behind the policy is that books don't get messed up from returns not on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So now I have to wait for them to send me out a cheque in the post for €6.99:eek:. The other option they gave me was store credit which was politely refused;)
    Thats a very impressive service you got, I would think myself very luck to get credit, let alone a cheque.

Thumbs up for powercity.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jor el wrote: »
    How can an aerial be wrong?

Polarisation... uhf v vhf etc etc (there's probably a fierce technical term).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Jev/N wrote: »
    I would imagine the thinking behind the policy is that books don't get messed up from returns not on the same day.

It might also be to do with the cash on hand - if someone pays cash, they might still have that there to refund with the same day, but refunding later could end up clearing out their float. Obviously wouldn't matter as much for 6.99 but if that's their policy they could be sticking to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement