Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midi sync blues..

Options
  • 17-07-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Ive got the midi sync blues, im trying to connect my electribe to ableton having ableton as the master.

Anyways ive got it hooked up and all, the only thing is that the midi timing is a little bit off, just a tad. I have delay compensation selected and it seems to be a little bit better when thats on rather than off.

Does anyone know how to rememdy this problem, its really annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

sounds crazy, but try having an empty bar at the start of your song.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Neurojazz wrote: »
    sounds crazy, but try having an empty bar at the start of your song.

Cheers man, i apreciate the help, i was trying al sorts of things, appears to be fine now, thats a bit of a strange remedy tho!

SteveDon wrote: »
    Cheers man, i apreciate the help, i was trying al sorts of things, appears to be fine now, thats a bit of a strange remedy tho!

Yeah, have found some gear that needs a bit of time to settle in, rather than get forced to start immediately - used to be mostly older gear.

ahh no, it still sounds a bit off, sounds like the electribe is trying to play catch up with abletons clock, the bassdrum isnt very steady, it sounds like its alternating a slight bit

Is it possibly something to do with the ableton warping process? all the audio recorded seems to be automatically "warped"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Is it quantizing it within Ableton as you play?

Jev/N wrote: »
    Is it quantizing it within Ableton as you play?

No, im just recording the audio through my soundcard its not synced up in any midi way beyond the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Ableton's audio warping will have nothing to do with the midi clock output. Generally I've found Ableton's midi clock to be a bit unpredictable, and have gotten better results using Ableton as the slave and the drum machine as the master.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

had the same problem getting the arpeggiator on my microkorg to sync up a few weeks ago.

as well as delay compensation theres actually another midi delay for each midi channel. go to options and then the midi screen. to the left of the midi output you are using to send clock, click the little arrow and, lo and behold, more settings appear just for that midi channel. here you can delay that channel by an appropriate amount so that everythings in sync!

• Advertisement

Ugh i give up, it still wont sync exactly, can anyone recommend any other simple daws with a realiable midi clock?

All i know is cubase has a windows midi time box that needs to be checked, but to a keen ear if your triggering patterns form a daw your ear may pick up teeny delays.

Is there no way you can 'midi dump' the patterns out of the electribe down the midi cable into cubase and move it around to where you need it?

So you'd be sending note information rather than trying to get machines to run at the same moment?

I know it's a real bitch to do this, but i've always had problems with trying to run simulatinious midi clocks.

Advertisement