Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse - forced 20 EUR top up?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just bought an LG kS360 phone and was told by the salesperson in Carphone Warehouse that it is compulsory to buy 20EUR top up with it.

So price of phone is 99.99 & 20EUR credit.

When I queried this I was told that o2 make it compulsory so that people only use the phone on their network.

This sound correct to you?
    Should you not be able to simply purchase only a phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Are you on O2 already?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Jev/N wrote: »
    Are you on O2 already?

No but was buying the phone as a gift...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Dunno the legal/consumer aspect but it makes sense as,assuming you're getting it with a SIM card, you generally have to buy a certain amount of credit when getting a SIM card on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Should you not be able to simply purchase only a phone?
    It might well cost you a lot more to buy the phone on its own, most pay-as-you-go phones are heavily subsisided. I remember getting one for €90 with a sim with €80 credit. I unlocked it and sold the phone in buy & sell for €100 without the sim. I think it was €140 new in shops at the time as a sim free phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

If it was not on the price tag as requiring a top up and just said €99.00 then you can complain with false advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dubsgirl wrote: »
    When I queried this I was told that o2 make it compulsory so that people only use the phone on their network.

That sounds like lies, and possibly illegal. The phone is locked to O2, that's what stops you using other networks. Topping up will not stop you from moving, you just need to unlock the phone.

The KS360 is 109 euro on O2's site, and they're normally cheaper by about 10 euro on the website. Sounds to me like CPW are doing something dodgy to make their prices look cheaper. Blatant false advertising if that's not clearly marked on the price label.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I admitt it has been quite a while since I was in any carphone or other phone shop (I usually buy mine online second hand) but most phones I recall where listed with a list of 5+ different prices depending on the plan. Hence if this phoen was 90 with sim I'd be very surprised if it did not have a * saying for 02 required to top up by 20 EUR or more or similar in the list price.

Well, I bought my phone in CPW only a few months ago and the price was the price. There was no requirement to top up immediately.

I had to top up in order to get the free credit that came with it at the time (can't remember what it was, not much anyway) which is the usual, but forcing you to top up immediately, never heard of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the normal store price of handsets is usually €10 dearer than online prices so currently that phone is €109 on the o2 website as a gift purchase and is not mentioned on the carphonewarehouse site so you could expect the in-store price to be €119 in o2 stores and most likely the same in carphone warehouse unless advertised as special offer?

seeing that you were sold the handset for €99 then forced to top-up by €20 looks very much like CPW making an extra bit of commission out of your purchase? i would log onto the o2 forum site and report this to o2 as they may not be aware of this dubious practice. also you can make a complaint to CPW head office 1800 424800

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If there was no written mention anywhere of the need for this E20 top-up, then CPW need to be called to task.

Write a formal letter of complaint and post it via registered post to CPW Management and O2's franchise/retail division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

JordanDC wrote: »
    If it was not on the price tag as requiring a top up and just said €99.00 then you can complain with false advertising.

a price tag is not an advertisement, it's an "invitation to treat". nonetheless it seems like a very dubious issue, my guess is that possibly they had mistakenly put the wrong price up (these things happen rarely) and the sales guy was trying to cover his ass while still making the sale. . .still worth a complaint though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Besides, on bill pay they have to unlock your phone for free as its covered under European directive, many many posts covering this. Wonder how the fruit seller thinks they can lock their phones only to the provider they chose.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP,

Did you ask on the talk2o2 forums or pm daryl that posts in the mobile section?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The same issue has recently arisen in the UK with the iPhone, with CPW, O2 and Apple Stores saying you need a £10 top-up when buying a PAYG iPhone, though Apple Stores don't always. Sounds like they are expanding this practice over here and to other phones.

Besides, on bill pay they have to unlock your phone for free as its covered under European directive, many many posts covering this. Wonder how the fruit seller thinks they can lock their phones only to the provider they chose.

MC

Any idea what directive this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't know why they are bothering to do this, they make such little money from selling credit I don't see what benefit this would have. All it would do is p1ss the customer off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

theteal wrote: »
    a price tag is not an advertisement, it's an "invitation to treat". nonetheless it seems like a very dubious issue, my guess is that possibly they had mistakenly put the wrong price up (these things happen rarely) and the sales guy was trying to cover his ass while still making the sale. . .still worth a complaint though

People that keep banging on about this "invitation to treat" get right on my tits.....basically gives the shops another way to shaft people. Set the price and stick to it or Fvck right off carphone warehouse.

nothin personal but people using this "invitation to treat" as justification for dubious practices is ridiculous and whoever made it up must be laughing his/her head off at people.

If people said no and went elsewhere, it would stop soon enough. They are only getting shafted when they allow themselves to be shafted.

It just fvcks me right off if a company is incapable/unwilling to putting the correct price on a product then the customer gets the shaft then smug twats hide behind this "invitation to treat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Jaysoose wrote: »
    People that keep banging on about this "invitation to treat" get right on my tits.....basically gives the shops another way to shaft people. Set the price and stick to it or Fvck right off carphone warehouse.

nothin personal but people using this "invitation to treat" as justification for dubious practices is ridiculous and whoever made it up must be laughing his/her head off at people.

so a little scrote is loitering around your shop and unnoticed he chops and changes a few price tags (just for kicks, as scrotes are liable to do). 5 seconds later, a separate customer is looking to buy one of the affected products, you notice that the price is €40 less than it should be. Would you take the hit? This is where the "invitation to treat" point is necessary.

theteal wrote: »
    so a little scrote is loitering around your shop and unnoticed he chops and changes a few price tags (just for kicks, as scrotes are liable to do). 5 seconds later, a separate customer is looking to buy one of the affected products, you notice that the price is €40 less than it should be. Would you take the hit? This is where the "invitation to treat" point is necessary.

But then a phone shop can advertise a price at €99 but when the consumer gets to the till they essentially force them to pay an extra €20 using the same "invitation to treat" logic! Lets stay on the topic and not use random examples about how a ninja could come in and change all the prices in a shop.

If you cant keep an eye on your shop then thats a whole different issue.

They can't force anyone to pay an extra £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I know in the O2 stores it's advertised as 99 euro when you top up by 20 euro.

I've also heard the reason's why it's sold that way and to be honest can't blame them, unfortunately it's now why place to explain why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But then a phone shop can advertise a price at €99 but when the consumer gets to the till they essentially force them to pay an extra €20 using the same "invitation to treat" logic! Lets stay on the topic and not use random examples about how a ninja could come in and change all the prices in a shop.

If you cant keep an eye on your shop then thats a whole different issue.

It's not a random example, it's the main reason for the law along with staff errors, such as a e2000 tv getting labeled as 20 accidentally. No one's forcing anyone to buy it
    This post has been deleted.

They don't get commission for credit

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's not a random example, it's the main reason for the law along with staff errors, such as a e2000 tv getting labeled as 20 accidentally. No one's forcing anyone to buy it

They don't get commission for credit

Again another random example considering this is not a staff error/Customer sabotage but a phone advertised as €99 then CPW looking to charge €119.

They can't hide behind the invitation to treat, if they have the wrong price in place, or a deliberately misleading price, then they must correct it as soon as it's pointed out to them. Otherwise, they are open to prosecution for false advertising or misleading selling practices.

They also can't force anyone to pay anything. You get to the till and find out the price, you can chose to pay, or not. It's up to the consumer to point out any discrepancy, and then up to the shop to correct that.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Same as me LgKS360 99 euro sticker not warning just another price for bill pay people lucky i had the 20 quid spare or i would of been pissed to make a double journey.I got it in their 02 store in rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Again another random example considering this is not a staff error/Customer sabotage but a phone advertised as 99 then CPW looking to charge 119.

I wasn't referring to this case, I was pointing out that invitation to treat is not "something to hide behind" as you were suggesting

In this case the phone was e99, the extra 20 was credit. It's very similar to how the networks advertise free sims but you have to buy credit to get them. The sim is still free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to this case, I was pointing out that invitation to treat is not "something to hide behind" as you were suggesting

In this case the phone was e99, the extra 20 was credit. It's very similar to how the networks advertise free sims but you have to buy credit to get them. The sim is still free

This is not true, well not for 02 anyways. Friend of mine was over from the states so I asked in an 02 shop for sim card for her and was given one for free. When she registered online there was even €10 credit on the sim :)

Advertisement