Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse - forced 20 EUR top up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Venom wrote: »
    This is not true, well not for 02 anyways. Friend of mine was over from the states so I asked in an 02 shop for sim card for her and was given one for free. When she registered online there was even €10 credit on the sim :)

It's true for meteor, or at least used to be. They might be giving them completely free now

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

phone companies = rip off merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hi all

Just bought an LG kS360 phone and was told by the salesperson in Carphone Warehouse that it is compulsory to buy 20EUR top up with it.

So price of phone is 99.99 & 20EUR credit.

When I queried this I was told that o2 make it compulsory so that people only use the phone on their network.

This sound correct to you?
    Should you not be able to simply purchase only a phone?

Thanks

thats the biggest load of bo**ocks ever. Ive worked in an o2 store as recently as a couple months ago (am a student on placement now so had to leave for the summer).... the "mandatory" €20 must refer to the €20 you have to top up by to get your free credit... it can be bought anytime after you register your phone on the website. does not have to be bought there and then.
    one of two things, this rep was trying to get an attacehment of topup onto their sale to up their sales stats, (ass!)... or o2 have completly changed their SOP's.... (which would make them as above)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

phone companies = bad

phone resellers = the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Venom wrote: »
    This is not true, well not for 02 anyways. Friend of mine was over from the states so I asked in an 02 shop for sim card for her and was given one for free. When she registered online there was even €10 credit on the sim :)

you must of got in on a good day... usually sims cost a tenner (and you get a tenner credit), or their 9.99w/o buyin the credit, you can then register it an get d free credit.
    or do you mean there was ten euro on it already?.... u may have got a promotion, or else the guy forgot to charge ya. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Your wasting your time complaining to cpw.. you'd get more koy out of interflora, i'm currently taking them to the small claims court.

I used to work for a mobile phone retailer in a very busy part of dublin and because the shop sold so much credit over the christmas we all got €150 brown thomas vouchers. So there's someone making a killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnMc85

Something passed onto me.... A considerable % of the ks 360's have been unlocked are not being used on the O2 network. The profit/loss margin has creeped into the red because of this. Both LG and the network worked together
    to get this phone down to the price it is today. This is a direct marketing response to promote both O2 and LG. (Source not 100% accurate) Hence the reason for the network implementing the 20euro charge.

And for all the finger pointers - its not the guys behind the tills who make up the 20euro rule. It came directly from O2 so write to ppl in O2 and stop giving out to ppl behind the tills as its not them personally who have implemented this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If the phone is cheep due to being bill pay then popping in a different sim card is pointless as your still under a contract. If the phone is pay as you go they its yours to do with as you please with what ever operator you want to use it with.

Both pre pay and bill pay packages have the overall phone costs factored into there price. Either way sticking on an extra €20 cost is going to just harm 02's image in the short term never mind the long term.

Advertisement