Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite orchestral film soundtracks?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Some of mine would be the Lord of the Rings soundtrack by Howard Shore, the Gadfly by Shostovich, Out of Africa, the Mission (so beautiful), Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Captain Corelis Mandolin, the Big Blue (a real classic in my opinion), Edward Scissorhands, Twin Peaks, Cinema Paradiso.
    Any others you would recommend?
    Soundtracks I guess I would like to hear, but have not yet heard, would include A Beautiful Mind, Cold Mountain, Harold and Maude, The Godfather and House of the Flying Daggers. Any feedback on any of these soundtracks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

Star Wars,an obvious choice but they are great soundtracks by the amazing John Williams.

The Passion of the Christ(can we still mention this :p)has an amazing soundtrack too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Aw, I love Cinema Paradiso! Currently learning the Love Theme on piano :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

banjobongo wrote: »
    Some of mine would be the Lord of the Rings soundtrack by Howard Shore, the Gadfly by Shostovich, Out of Africa, the Mission (so beautiful), Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Captain Corelis Mandolin, the Big Blue (a real classic in my opinion), Edward Scissorhands, Twin Peaks, Cinema Paradiso.
    Any others you would recommend?
    Soundtracks I guess I would like to hear, but have not yet heard, would include A Beautiful Mind, Cold Mountain, Harold and Maude, The Godfather and House of the Flying Daggers. Any feedback on any of these soundtracks?

The soundtract to Lord of the Rings is just amazing, Harry Potter is pretty good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

It's hard to beat the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in America.

Deborah's Theme - originally composed for the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I posted these two in another thread last week but what the hell .I never tire of listening to either and I have many other to but these are favs .

The American President ( main title) - Marc Shaiman

Theme from JFK ( suite ) -John Williams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a huge Hans Zimmer fan. I love The Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, along with King Arthur and Crimson Tide. LoTR and The Passion of the Christ soundtracks are also excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BasuGasu

The Phantom of the Opera is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There Will Be Blood has a savage soundtrack, as does Bodysong. Jonny Greenwood is the complete package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭RadioGaGa

The Assassination of Jesse James has a fantastic score done by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, the pick of the lot being "The Money Train."

For some bizarre reason this gem wasn't on the released soundtrack, but it's one of the best from the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭dasdog

David Shire - The Taking Of Pelham 1,2,3

Lalo Schifrin - Dirty Harry Soundtrack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

banjobongo wrote: »

Harold and Maude is all Cat Stevens, so whether you'll like it depends on liking him.
    It's an ultra cool film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

I love the Changeling Soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Robocop, especially for the introverted sequences, Total Recall, Star Trek-the theme that was used for tng, Blade Runner, Alien, Twelve Monkeys, BTTF, Ghostbusters, really like the rising crescendos in that one, very epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Obvious choice, waayyyyyyyyyy up there in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Favourites would probably be -

"The Rock", "Gladiator", "Gladiator" & especially "Black Hawk Down" all by Hans Zimmer.

"Batman: The Dark Night" - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard.

"Transformers" - Steve Jablonsky.

& even though it's not a film, Stephen Barton's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare OST is very similar a movie, big fan of it.

Advertisement