Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible phone hacking or wires crossed??

• 17-07-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am in need of sum serious help seen as o2 wont!! I had an n95 on o2 bill pay, 1 day my bill is nill the next it jumps up to 200 odd euro!! So wonderin wot the fek was goin on i checked my bill online an starin right at me ar calls made to sum foreign country, Sao Taome, i tink it is! so right away i rang o2 to explain an try an get a reasonable explanation for it cos i most definately did not make dem calls, dey were made from 12 midnight to 5 in the morning. there was 5 calls made in total lasting from 10 mins up to an hour all to the same number!!! So im pretty peed off with o2 cos the first girl i talked to was so ignorant not willing to do anythin not even look up my bill or anything an pretty much said I DID make the calls an I MUST pay! right away cancelled my direct debit dere defo not gettin d money off me for dat!! But anyways rang back later that night spoke to a lovely girl who was really helpful said she'll pass it onto the technical team an get back to me within a wk. it has been 2 an a half wks now an nothin!! i have since moved to vodafone cos I am not risking it happen again!!

Has anybody any idea how this cud av happened because I most definately didnt use the fone or my partner or child as me an my partner were up watchin telly till 2am that particular night an the fone was on the table in front of us!!

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Please please use paragraphs. It makes your message very hard to read and might mean people just ignore it when they might be able to help.

* Was your phone out of your sight for any amount of time when these calls are supposed to have been made?
    * Have you installed any third party applications on your phone?
    * Have you called O2 to follow up on the query?
    * O2 can disable international calls on your account - so ask them to do it if you're concerned about it happening again while it's being investigated.
    * Did you call anyone at all that night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Are they showing on the call register on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

did you ask them to send you a print out of all the calls made from your phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Interesting location.

São Tomé and Príncipe - Country in the Gulf of Guinea, off the coast of West Africa.

SIM cards can be cloned. A phone can be cloned (IMEI cloning). Rarest of all, is if you had bluetooth on, but extremely unlikely.

It's out of character, so there's no reason why O2 shouldn't listen to your grievances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

charlied09 wrote: »
    I am in need of sum serious help seen as o2 wont!! I had an n95 on o2 bill pay, 1 day my bill is nill the next it jumps up to 200 odd euro!! So wonderin wot the fek was goin on i checked my bill online an starin right at me ar calls made to sum foreign country, Sao Taome, i tink it is! so right away i rang o2 to explain an try an get a reasonable explanation for it cos i most definately did not make dem calls, dey were made from 12 midnight to 5 in the morning. there was 5 calls made in total lasting from 10 mins up to an hour all to the same number!!! So im pretty peed off with o2 cos the first girl i talked to was so ignorant not willing to do anythin not even look up my bill or anything an pretty much said I DID make the calls an I MUST pay! right away cancelled my direct debit dere defo not gettin d money off me for dat!! But anyways rang back later that night spoke to a lovely girl who was really helpful said she'll pass it onto the technical team an get back to me within a wk. it has been 2 an a half wks now an nothin!! i have since moved to vodafone cos I am not risking it happen again!!

Has anybody any idea how this cud av happened because I most definately didnt use the fone or my partner or child as me an my partner were up watchin telly till 2am that particular night an the fone was on the table in front of us!!

:confused:

Please do not use txt speak. Apart from making you look like an illiterate 12 year old, it makes people less likely to want to help you because your post is so damn hard to read.

It is very unlike O2 to be so dismissive. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? O2 staff are usually quite helpful and knowledgeable. And I would imagine they would want to help you if a fraud has been committed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 charlied09

Thanks for the reply everybody and sorry for my no paragraphs and text speak. Im new to this so please excuse me!

Anyways in reply to random:

Yes I made a call to a friend about 9pm.
    Phone was not out of sight at all I always have it by my side or in my pocket.
    As far as I am aware I have not installed anything on my phone only download music videos.
    Yes I have called 02, nothing to report yet.
    International calls have been barred since this happening.

In reply to Justin Oval:

Its very strange because in my last dialled numbers were other numbers that I DID NOT dial. They did not appear on my bill as they were invalid numbers, I tried to ring them from another phone.1 call to the Sao Taome number did show up on my last dialled at 5am.

In reply to south:

The first girl I did ask but as I said she was not willing to help at all would not put me on to a supervisor, would not look up my bill needless to say print it out. All she said is that the calls were made from my phone and now I MUST pay it!!

In reply to Amalgam:

Did not have bluetooth only have it on if Im transferring data. I did say to the first girl is it possible that someone could have hacked into my phone or something and she basically laughed at me and said nothing of the sort can be done!

In reply to Tom Dunne:

I do agree with you on that . I have never had any problems with o2 and always thought they were very helpful in every way until this. I did ask the first girl could I speak to a supervisor but she wouldnt do a thing for me, maybe I got her on a bad day!! The second girl I talked to was very helpful. When she said she would pass it onto the tech team I didnt think any need to ask for a supervisor on that call. But as I said I have no result as of yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's better. Much easier to read. :)
    In reply to Tom Dunne:

I do agree with you on that . I have never had any problems with o2 and always thought they were very helpful in every way until this. I did ask the first girl could I speak to a supervisor but she wouldnt do a thing for me, maybe I got her on a bad day!! The second girl I talked to was very helpful. When she said she would pass it onto the tech team I didnt think any need to ask for a supervisor on that call. But as I said I have no result as of yet!

From a technical perspective, they should be able to tell from what cell the call originated (i.e. from what mast). That should narrow it down. If it came from the cell you were connected to, well then you are in a spot of bother. If the calls originated from a different cell, then you have a very strong case.

Edit: There is an O2 Rep on Boards.ie - Talk202: Daryll is his username. He might be able to help.

Could it be random numbers dialled accidentally with one fluking a genuine number, and then redialled?

Ring the number and apologise. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

My N95 8GB unlocks itself all the time in my pocket and can dial numbers in the last dialed list and also the voice dialing gets activated regularly, its a known issue that Nokia haven't bothered to fix but I have never had it dial a number I hadn't dialed before.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What makes me suspicious of maybe dodgy software or a rogue service, remember diallers years ago would dial an equally exotic location, I think it was a place called Tuvalu, or something similar.

It just strikes me as very odd you'd be hit for charges to an island off the west coast of Africa..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't know what's going on here but if you're saying there's a list of numbers you didn't call in your last called list ... then it may not be O2s fault.

Would suggest you restore your phone to factory settings and / or hard reset it just so we can rule out any software on the phone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 charlied09

Hi all. Thanks again for the replys, now for a little update!!

I got back on to o2 as I heard nothing from them, altho they said that they texted me and tried to ring, neither of which I received!! Anyways the story is that the tech team looked into it and the calls were made from the same number, (i don't know what name they put on this number but its a number that relates to my phone i think!), as all other calls made from my phone. So apparently I did make those ridiculous calls and now have to foot the bill.

I really can't understand this as I did not make those calls!! Does anybody know at all how this could have happened??? Whoever managed to do this is absolutely sick i must say and I am fuming that there is absolutely nothing I can do. To be honest I am not going to pay o2 because I seriously cannot afford to pay for some ass' phone calls, however they managed to do it, bad credit rating or not I just can't pay it!!

Aargh this makes me so angry!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I really can't understand this as I did not make those calls!! Does anybody know at all how this could have happened???

If the numbers were on your last dialled list on the phone, someone in the house dialled them or you have some software on the phone that did it. If this is the case then im afraid you will have to pay as its not o2's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I had similar issues with vodafone a number of years ago .... after loads of arguing and non payment = they cut me off.... so I paid the bill was reconnected and then I switched network.

Teach them the customer has a right..... at the moment not a happy bunny with O2 as I received a cold call from a phone company telling me I was eligible for an upgrade - they claimed that O2 gave them my number, O2 denied this..... I was not happy with the fact that O2 were passing my number out !!! I had told them previously that if they wanted to contact me by phone - only for emergencies, all other correspondance/offers (and sh1te like that) ...must be emailed to my SPAMbox

EDIT: did you download any Apps that could have done this ? Also, it could be a cloned card (Maybe).... its possible that O2 will claim that you made the calls.... the onus of proof is on you. (unfortubately) ...but as a suggestion I would spend a little cash and request whatever information they have on their system about your account ... this should show up notes from phone calls etc etc which is handy if you want to bring the matter to the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think bar someone directly using your phone under your eyes that a possible hack was done using bluetooth and a laptop configured as a headset or hands-free.

Davy wrote: »
    If the numbers were on your last dialled list on the phone, someone in the house dialled them or you have some software on the phone that did it. If this is the case then im afraid you will have to pay as its not o2's fault.

Keypad lock should fix it.

Advertisement