Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

80db noise limits for cars... will that affect bikers?

• 17-07-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Saw an article in the indo basically saying that from year end the gardai will be enforcing noise pollution regulations of 80db on cars. They will be given testing equipment etc...
    Now the question goes... how does that affect us bikers? Fewer 1198 riders going around with termignoni cans ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They have to catch me first :pac:

Loud Harley and scooter riders are sitting ducks :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd imagine factory exhausts would be exempt, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Bollix, I was just thinking about buying vance and hines bigshot pipes for me roadstar.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I'd imagine not unless caught acting the maggot!

The cars in question are more of a niusance late nite doughnutting and such hence the irritation.

Those bikes with decent musical exhausts, as i like to refer to them, are only an irritation to tuneless neighbours when you warm up yer rothar at 6 am before heading of to work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

so i an r1 with open leo vince will prob be safe then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Absolutely, sure you'd be almost quiet up till 10,000 revs or so:p

Years ago we fitted stainless straight throughs on a 1200 yamaha and that was fcukin loud, so it's all relative.

It's musical Gard. Musical i tell ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Saw an article in the indo basically saying that from year end the gardai will be enforcing noise pollution regulations of 80db on cars. They will be given testing equipment etc...
    Now the question goes... how does that affect us bikers? Fewer 1198 riders going around with termignoni cans ?

It's all bollocks. Roadside tests are NOT legal. EU Type Approval for noise test lays down how noise is to be measured.

IIRC (and it's been a while......), for bikes, it must be measured at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, at a distance of (?m), and the bike must be flat out in 2nd. Oh, and you have to be the only vehicle in the vicinity, as well.......(otherwise you're measuring the sound of the rest of the traffic.......)

Do you think you'll be allowed to break the speed limit, to do the noise test ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

me vespa and its simonini are ****ed so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

weeder wrote: »
    me vespa and its simonini are ****ed so

Just as well I fitted the quieter Akie's (rated at 97db) as opposed to the Art's (rated at 100db+ alledgedly):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

galwaytt wrote: »
    IIRC (and it's been a while......), for bikes, it must be measured at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, at a distance of (?m), and the bike must be flat out in 2nd. Oh, and you have to be the only vehicle in the vicinity, as well.......(otherwise you're measuring the sound of the rest of the traffic.......)

Do you think you'll be allowed to break the speed limit, to do the noise test ?
    Woo flat out in second gear on me gsxr 1000. K-tric will have some fun on his beast when he comes over for a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

seanybiker wrote: »
    Woo flat out in second gear on me gsxr 1000. K-tric will have some fun on his beast when he comes over for a visit.

I don't think it's flat out in second, I think it is around 5000rpm in second or third.

If you look at any of the power graphs, they all have a dip at this range for this specific test.

To be honest, this is all arbitrary anyway, because 5000 on mine is almost halfway, where as it'd be possibly just over a quarter on a little two stroke 250.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

nereid wrote: »
    I don't think it's flat out in second, I think it is around 5000rpm in second or third.

If you look at any of the power graphs, they all have a dip at this range for this specific test.

To be honest, this is all arbitrary anyway, because 5000 on mine is almost halfway, where as it'd be possibly just over a quarter on a little two stroke 250.

Ah, my Super4 will be grand so, it doesn't kick off until it hits 6000rpm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

If there clamping down on boy racers they might leave bikes alone. Its not bikers driving round estates all hours of the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

well mine rev's to about 18000 and gets super loud haha naturally i would never open it up:p:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mine is fairly quiet but I really want to get termi's (or similar) and holy crap they are loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have the 1940's Beezer single that is as noisy as fcuk, even back in the 80ies I use to get pulled over for noise. I just love quoting the type approval act, :) Ie the bike was made and designed long before anyone ever heard of disciples. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    If there clamping down on boy racers they might leave bikes alone. Its not bikers driving round estates all hours of the night!
    Speak for yourself. Best time to practice wheelies lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Count yourselves lucky lads you don't have to have TuV approval for every f*cking piece of hardware on your bike :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

My dad was down around the harley store the other week n said the guards where doing db checks on all the bikes comming in and out of the car park.. Said a good few of them where pulled over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

My dad was down around the harley store the other week n said the guards where doing db checks on all the bikes comming in and out of the car park.. Said a good few of them where pulled over...

your joking... thats worrying. I'm a wee bit louder (a lot) than the 80db....

• Advertisement
Advertisement