Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help, I made a big mistake!!!

Options
  • 17-07-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I know after you read this you're going to think 'what a fool' but I already know this so please any help would be great. I'm a first time horse owner, bought her yesterday. When I was looking at her she had a few small lumps on her and the owner told me they were just warts and could be removed easily so I took her word for it and trusted her....what a big mistake that was!!! I said to her that I was going to have her vetted when I got her home and if there was any major problems how would I stand with bringing her back? She said that should't be a problem if there was a life threatening or seriously bad thing wrong with her. Had her vetted this morning and she is riddled in sarcoids. I really dont want a horse with these kind of problems but the centre where I bought her are kicking up saying I knew she had warts and there's nothing wrong with her. I paid in cash and don't think I can bring her back. I'm really upset as this is supposed to be a great experience and i'm devestated. Any advice on what I can do? They are supposedly a really reputable riding centre but I really feel they took advantage of me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This are not warts. How bad are they?

I would bring it back to the Stables and demand a refund. You have the right to it as you were given a faulty good and not given the reason (the true one) at the start.

Sorry for comparing the horse to a good but thats what it would be considered as in the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CherBobs

They are really bad and there are a load more that i didn't even see that the vet pointed out. It's the first thing he said when he saw her. All in underneath by her udders is covered in blemishes which I didn't even see but they are all a form of sacroid. They are telling me the owner is away till tues and they'll get her to call me then but i think they're just trying to buy time. They are being really horrible about it saying my vet is wrong and there is nothing wrong but there's even one on her girth and if it gets worse she'll be unridable (if thats a word). I didn't sign anything so don't know if i have a leg to stand on. It's even to the extent that the yard i'm keeping her at want her gone asap incase she gives anything to the other horses!!!

Yes you do. The fact that they are bad may mean that the horse might have to be put down later. These are tumors and can be cured using surgery or radiation therapy. However this mightnt work.

The last owner as you said would take it back if it was life threatening. Have a talk with her tuesday about it. Look up your rights on the subject as well.

If nothing can move her and the rights are in your favour, the matter could go to court. If not, I'm very sorry but you might have a choice to make. What did the vet say??

He said they were quite bad but we could try treating them with creams and it wouldn't be guranteed and very costly but if i could send her back then i should. The people in the centre where i got her are really digging their heals in saying the "warts" are not harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sarcoids are really tricky to treat. they are similar (are even) to a form of skin cancer. They arent contagious though.

Those creams the vet was talking about arent always effective. I really would try and send her back if you can at all.

I've been riding/owning horses for 20 years and even I would take a more experienced person along before taking on a horse. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

• Advertisement

I know, well at least I have really learned a lot from this experience and will definately be more level headed and cautious next time, if there is a next time. Really feel put off the whole thing now. Have always wanted my own horse but these people have made the experience one of the worst things i've encountered. What are my rights when it comes to this sort of thing? I keep coming across 'buyer beware' which makes me think i'm stuck with her! They think i'm being dramatic and when i mentioned a form of cancer they told me i was stupid. They have over 100 horses on their yard so they full well knew that there was something wrong with this horse and didn't disclose the information when I asked if there was anything wrong with her. I trusted them as they appeared to be a professional establishment and didn't think they would be dishonest like that....how wrong was I????!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

Don't usually read this forum; just clicked into this randomly. I would treat this as the purchase of a good and as such my advice would be to ring the National Consumer Agency on 1890 432 432. If you tell them the entire story, they will be able to explain your rights and tell you if you have any recourse.

It seems to me you might have the right to a refund, replacement, or repair - i.e. payment for treatment as the 'good' was not of merchantable quality. Like I say, give the NCA a call. They can be very helpful. Just explain your story and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks a million, i'll definately do that. They're probably only open monday to friday are they? I want to get it sorted out asap as the longer i leave it the harder they're going to make it for me. I've been advised to just turn up with the horse and leave her there and worry about getting my money back afterwards. I'm seeking legal advice but cant speak to my solictor till 12 tomorrow and the lady who owns the yard wants her out first thing tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

You took the horse on the understanding that she had 'warts'. A veterinary surgeon has now informed you that the lesions are not in fact harmless warts, but sarcoids which are notoriously difficult to treat.

Whilst the vendor may try to claim that the blemishes were evident at the time of purchase, they clearly told you that the blemishes were warts. This has turned out to not be the case. If I were you, I'd ring the vendor up and say no harm done, the mare has failed the vet and therefore you'll be dropping the horse off tomorrow and will be expecting a full refund to be ready for you on arrival.

Sarcoids are NOT warts. They're not even distant cousins to warts, so therefore don't accept the vendor's stance on the matter. Your vet might be willing to ring the owner and explain the findings of his examination - a good vet would give the owner a friendly hint of what he would be saying to the judge if the case came to court.

You might find that hinting yourself about the many friends you have already told about your lovely new horse from that vendor and how you're going to hate to have to tell them how badly the purchase has turned out might be enough to persuade the vendor that making good on your purchase might save them a lot of damage to their reputation and therefore jeopardise future sales.

However you handle it, stay calm and reasonable at all times - expect some ranting and name-calling on the other end. And stick to your guns. Keep repeating your point, and make clear what you want to happen.

Don't go for them paying for treatment of the sarcoids and you keeping the horse. Sarcoids don't respond well to treatment - they invariably grow back and often much worse than before.

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

CherBobs wrote: »
    are supposedly a really reputable riding centre but I really feel they took advantage of me!

You're right I think they did. Take her back and demand a refund. Legally you are entitled too

• Advertisement

Well I packed up the horse first thing yesterday morning and took her back. When we got there we quickly unloaded her and put her in the first empty stable we came across. As it was a saturday morning the school was really busy and we knew they wouldn't want a scene. They didn't know we were coming so they were pretty shocked to see me I think. I went to find who was in charge and it happened to be the woman I spoke to the day before (who was really rude on the phone) but couldn't have been nicer to my face! I pointed out the sarcoids and she said they had always been there and never affected the horse and they had loads of other horses with sarcoids so they didn't see anything wrong with it. As the owner of the school is away till tuesday she wasn't in a position to give me my money back but said she'll get her to call me when she's back. I'm hoping there won't be a problem getting my money back and if there is they have a reputation on the line! I was advised to bring the horse back asap as the longer i had her they could just say well why didn't you bring her back sooner and make things more difficult for me.

The funny thing is that as a first time horse owner I didn't even get to ride her...lol!

Well I honestly think that any creature with a form of a tumor, should not be ridden.

Really I don't think your missing anything. The horse might of been in pain while being ridden and thrown you of.

Just for the future, bring someone more experianced and ask to have the horse on trial and vetted BEFORE buying as then it can be left back if problems arise. It would also give you a chance to see what its like to be rid. It would be down heartening i you find the horse is stone mad.!!

You're absolutely right and I have learned soooo much from this experience! Will definatly do that next time. I just feel sorry for the poor horse who has gone back to the school where her problem persists and I full well know they wont do anything about it! As they have said, they have lots of horses and ponies with sarcoids and they don't see them as a problem. I am sorry for her but really didn't want to make it my problem either, she was a lovely little mare too, pity. As they say, a lesson bought is better than a lesson taught! Just hope i get my money back and it doesn't cost me too much...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've come across horses who've had an allergic reaction to the flu vac and have grown small warts as a reaction to it. They generally don't have a hugely negative impact on the horse.

However, in this instance the sarcoids seem to be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Similar thing happened a friend of mine, vendor wouldn't budge. It went to court and my friend won.

Well just to update everyone on the situation, I've just spoken to the owner and she's sending me a cheque in the post minus 100 euros for (and this is the funny bit) her inconvenience!!!!! Cheeky b**ch!! Oh well at least i'm getting something back. An expensive lesson learned i suppose and its time to move on, just need to wait for the cheque to arrive now. I just hope the horse gets treatment for her sarcoids and doesn't have to suffer anymore. Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments x x x

I would fight for that 100 euros - if the cheque is being returned, they have no right to charge you.

Yea but i stupidly paid upfront in cash so she's sending me back a cheque. I am quite happy to write off that 100 euros so long as i never have to see or hear of those people again, and i hope none of you have to come across them either!!!

Tell her you want the full amount back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Take the money and run and don't look back and have nothing more to do with her! You are lucky to be getting anything back really, hard lesson to learn but you're getting your money back, even if it is minus €100, but least its case closed. Best of luck in the future and i hope that you have more success the next time around!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Guys I'm with MDFM in objective honesty it was naive and we've all been there but you chose to hand over cash for an unvetted horse they could have dropped her back and said sue me most would have,take it and learn.

Bring an expert
    Get it vetted
    Take it on trial in a reputable yard

Good luck horrible but useful lesson.

Absolutely, don't worry everyone.....lesson learned believe me!!! :rolleyes: I won't leave a stone unturned before i buy another horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

i wouldnt worry about the 100 notes.... its for the lesson you learned/she taught you.... very little on the scale of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't mean to alarm you but the cheque may bounce or be eternally 'on its way'

I know that too but if that cheque isn't in my bank and cleared by the end of next week i will be causing a huge scene at the school on a Saturday morning!

And with sound advice from my solicitor (who owns a lot of racehorses so deals with horsey transactions on a regular basis) i will begin legal proceedings asap. I'm not afraid of these people and will go all the way if they don't play nice.

Advertisement