Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best Grand Theft Auto game ever???

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If I had to choose, I would say GTAIV. The graphics, branching storyline(granted only two endings but hey its more than you get with most games), improved gameplay - such as aiming, driving, the addition of the internet, TV, activities etc, combined to make one hell of a great game.
    It did however lose a good few things from GTASA, such as burgaling houses, the selection of clothes on offer, a lot of side missions dropped, car customisation and character customisation.

What I'd love is a hybrid game. Take the graphics and gameplay style from GTAIV, the story and setting of SA, and the soundtrack of VC. That would be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

San Andreas for me for much of the same reasons as have already been mentioned - vast map,great story and voice cast,and above all, incredible fun. It probably has more longevity for me than any game I've ever played. I love Vice City too, but the map is a little small (in retrospect) and I always seem to have issues with the framerate jumping on my Xbox 360. Hopefully Microsoft will put it up on the Marketplace as they did with San Andreas. GTA IV was a great game, but it just felt it was lacking a little of the fun that it's predecessers had (Ballad of Gay Tony went some way towards addressing this though).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, San Andreas pips Vice City for me mostly because it had the wow factor of VC but just MOAR of everything :) Huge map and some very enjoyable and distinctive areas to explore coupled with a fun and engaging story and a huge amount of fun stuff for CJ to do and any number of ways for him to do it. I spent most of my time on a BMX so I could just jump over any traffic that got in my way on missions etc :)

IV was disappointing for me, Saints Row 2 definitely took that genre's crown and ran away with it until Red Dead Redemption restored a lot of my faith in Rockstar. IV had some great ideas, just not as well implemented as I think they needed to be - maybe another couple of month's polish might've helped, but it drove me so far beyond where I wanted to bludgeon Roman and Brucie for their constant interruptions, I was less inclined to forgive it because I've come to expect better from Rockstar. All that said, IV is the reason I finally bought a current gen console (360) and I certainly haven't been disappointed by that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Pogo the Monkey was the best :p

My overall favorite is III. It blew me away when I first played it, all the way back in 2001. And I still play it every now and again, In fact I have the trilogy installed on my laptop...no cd required :) just plug in my pad and off I go to Liberty/Vice/San Andreas.

I love the atmosphere of III's Liberty City...so dirty and violent with the Mafia, Triads and Colombian Cartel.

It was hilarious too "People love the smell of YO-MAs frozen fish products" :pac:

And the silly comments of peds like "My mother's my sister", "In the navy"and the taxi driver when you carjack him "Get in the back, AHHHHHHHHHHH"

I do ADORE the other games, including LCS, VCS and IV but GTAIII will always be special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Gotta be San Andreas man, by a mile. Great Landscapes, best missions, fantastic radio stations/music.

None of the others in the series come close.

What an amazing game, I really hope they release a HD version for PS3 soon!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Kharn wrote: »
    IV was disappointing for me, Saints Row 2 definitely took that genre's crown and ran away with it until Red Dead Redemption restored a lot of my faith in Rockstar. IV had some great ideas, just not as well implemented as I think they needed to be - maybe another couple of month's polish might've helped, but it drove me so far beyond where I wanted to bludgeon Roman and Brucie for their constant interruptions, I was less inclined to forgive it because I've come to expect better from Rockstar. All that said, IV is the reason I finally bought a current gen console (360) and I certainly haven't been disappointed by that experience.

I would have said Just Cause 2 took the crown of open world games, SR2 doesn't come close to it. If you haven't tried it, you should.

Advertisement