Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First foreign player to play in England?

Options
  • 17-07-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Was it john carey or was there some before hand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not sure about first foreign palyer but I think Albert Johannason,a South African , was the first black player to play in England with Leeds Utd back in the 60s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

I read somewhere about some German guy, played for Burnley sometime around 1910 or thereabouts. cant remember his name at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was it john carey or was there some before hand?

There were plenty of Irishmen before Carey

Wikipedia has a section on pre 1922 Irish internationals, have a look there

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Dodge wrote: »
    There were plenty of Irishmen before Carey

Wikipedia has a section on pre 1922 Irish internationals, have a look there

Would Irishmen playing in England pre-1922 be considered foreign?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Latchy wrote: »
    Not sure about first foreign palyer but I think Albert Johannason,a South African , was the first black player to play in England with Leeds Utd back in the 60s

Arthur Wharton, born in Ghana, who played for Preston North End in 1896 was the first black and probably the first foreign player to play in England.

• Advertisement
Advertisement