Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Does Your Garden Grow!? - Garden Pics Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This is mine, well, the house we rent anyway. It started life as a gravel yard, but the black plastic under the gravel was aged, and weeds were coming up through it. The whole thing was just disgusting, and we didn't use it. So, this is the culimation of about 2 weeks of work, and then waiting for the grass to grow.

The cool thing is the shed though, bought from Yardmaster, 8x9 fully metal, and was only about 330 Euro shipped to Cork, and took 2 days for me to assemble on my own - it's where I keep all my painting equipment. Next up is some patio furniture, and a BBQ (Even if it is getting into Winter).

attachment.php?attachmentid=93290&stc=1&d=1255607517

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

dh0661 wrote: »
    Aw no - "a weed" --- a weed is a flower in the wrong place.

well I hope you like it because, if not removed, your whole garden will be full of these "flowers":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

hoochio wrote: »
    well I hope you like it because, if not removed, your whole garden will be full of these "flowers":D

Oops - TBH I have not seen them before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

old boy wrote: »
    some random pics of my little bit of serenity, one of the things that keeps me 25% sane, i do not know which pics are being uploaded, as each time i am only clicking on a number, some today, more later on, or perhaps tomorrow, my skills with the camera are not great, neither is the camera, feed back good or bad appreciated.
    Just checked out this site tonight for the first time and I love your photos and your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Planet X wrote: »
    Raised Beds I put links to earlier but the links don't work.
    Anyway, before.........spring,

P1000487.jpg

and a few weeks ago,

P1000541-1.jpg

wish i had that, its beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

nice, you extended and doubled the amount of beds. hope to get out tomorrow and sort out my beds too. the growing season starts again. cant wait to see all that green back in the garden again :D

let the 2010 growing season be a good one!!! ;)

chilis, tomatoes, herbs, and more to come

newplants2010.jpg

newplants2010b.jpg

wicked growth on the tomatos as usual this year, not even 2 weeks after being put in the soil, they are on their way. Good hit 24 out of 24 in one tray. the F1 and money maker varieties. the jalapenos are a little slower anyway, only just sprouting now.

02032010030.jpg

here is another couple of a job i did at the weekend, too. i was getting lazy even with the water butt outside, so easy to turn on a tap and water plants inside instead of walking out and hauling in buckets and watering cans of harvested water. So, drained the butt, dried the side, drilled the tank and put in a 1/2 inch 350, a tank fitting, drilled a hole in the greenhouse, ran a length of qualplex plumbing pipe through inside and sat the butt back into place. Connected a short bit of hose onto the end of the pipe indoors and now I can just pull the hose down and water away. i can use about 160L from a full tank, so no more clorinated water hopefully.

waterbutt2.jpg

waterbutt.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dh0661 wrote: »
    Aw no - "a weed" --- a weed is a flower in the wrong place.

get rid of them asap.

i am over run by them, i have been searching everywhere for name for the evil bastards.

i have bought a weed wand and hopefully that will help me keep them under control. i used to spend about 2 hours week trying to getting rid of them from my tiny garden. they are in the cobblelocking, the beds, the pots, the hanging baskets.

do not under any circumstances let them flower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

irishbird wrote: »
    i have been searching everywhere for name for the evil bastards

@ post # 29 hoochio called them "willow herb"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

all ready for sowing . love this time of year.

F0V2RW5.jpeg
    there is parsley and chives in the two pot there that survived the winter. Im hoping they will burst back into life again.

All the rest of the pots are empty. Suggestions??? what to grow.

have 10 strawberry plants planted in this tub last week.

MqjNz0LD.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This years tomatoes there in a heated plater in the greenhouse,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

a few from mine last autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Planet X wrote: »
    Raised Beds I put links to earlier but the links don't work.
    Anyway, before.........spring,

P1000487.jpg

and a few weeks ago,

P1000541-1.jpg

Lovely raised beds.

Are the hoops fixed in place or is the whole net and hoops the one unit that can be removed? Also what are the hoops made of?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I hope we have seen the last of the frosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Not wanting to be one tied down by the constraints of apartment living, my sunny balcony veg is coming on a treat :D

P1010265.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....ah, gotta add more beds. Addictive.

P1010265.jpg

P1010266.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Very impressive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

My cabbage plants from last year......

E4B7EA392F054FFD8E1BE51F773CACD1-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

old boy wrote: »
    some random pics of my little bit of serenity, one of the things that keeps me 25% sane, i do not know which pics are being uploaded, as each time i am only clicking on a number, some today, more later on, or perhaps tomorrow, my skills with the camera are not great, neither is the camera, feed back good or bad appreciated.
    I want your garden!! Beautiful :)

• Advertisement

sweet out, very organised and easy to tender too.

and the good weather lately is a blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi all,

Here are some pics of my garden. Some pics from last year and some from this year, some close up shots of the plants and from Halloween last year. As you can see I spend too much time in the garden!!:)

All suggestions or improvements, any questions etc are welcome...

Decided to paint the shed blue last year and I think it looks great and more interesting than the usual Medium Oak shed paint...
    4611616000_11944d5817_b.jpg

Halloween last year in the garden. Smoke machine in the shed...
    4611614540_1bed866359_b.jpg

4611002709_a40c7fbe4f_b.jpg

Party lights...
    4611610676_5c784b1f22_b.jpg

shade area with ferns, and hosta's under a silver birch and a red robin shrub...
    4611609010_f82f7d8d8a_o.jpg

grasses by the water feature...
    4610999175_bf6d3f569b_b.jpg

Ferns are starting to open up, no tree ferns open yet however...
    4611604082_a1c881f729_b.jpg

New planting around some established shrubs out the back...
    4611595046_25bbfe0cdd_b.jpg

A new bed planted this spring in the front of the house...
    4611591092_4d1ac88c3d_b.jpg

This next one is a new bed started last year and starting to take shape
    4610977723_4070a2d8fa_b.jpg

4611584390_1b975504bc_b.jpg

4611581602_b1477ceb09_b.jpg

4611426186_e8fae0896e_b.jpg

Cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bumper crop of rhubarb this year:) my tip - completely cover them with grass compost during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

lalorm is that a wine bottle opener in the third last photo?? Fabulous garden, I can't wait to have my own :) Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Yes, it's an outdoor corkscrew. Does the job perfectly! A bit over the top I know, but it's the little things I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

More pics at connemaracroft.blogspot.com

gardenoverview2.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Planet X and simonj your gardens are a real inspiration! Thanks for posting the pics. I won't be posting pics of mine, serious disaster area this year with weeds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Some pics from about a month ago.

1st pic is my 1st earlies and hanging baskets getting themselves off to a good start

2nd pic is my 2nd batch of main crop starting to show

3rd pic is my 1st batch of main crop all planted up and coming on nicely

All the spuds were planted in bags and have done really well

4th pic is the 1st year of my raised beds. Bed on left has peas, lettuces and mixed salad leaves. Bed to front is my new strawberry bed as I am moving the old bed. Bed to rere has raspberries and blackberries. Bed to right has rhubarb

5th pic is from the other side, showing rhubarb which has been great. Lots of rhubarb crunble every 2nd Sunday

Will try and post more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

When I was taking pics for post above I took this on the spur of the moment. I really like this picture. It's a nice early Summer shot showing new growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

lalorm wrote: »
    Yes, it's an outdoor corkscrew. Does the job perfectly! A bit over the top I know, but it's the little things I guess :)

Bugger the corkscrew, how do you get the black bamboo like that? :cool:
    I have two, but they just sit like two unruly clumps.

Advertisement