Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Does Your Garden Grow!? - Garden Pics Thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

awesome work, wanna job doing mine? ;)

Thanks, but this one has drained all my energy.
    Great work there Prospect well done. Spotted in one of the photos what looks to be a Laburnum tree, a lovely tree, but a lttle precaution if young children are playing nearby, that this tree is toxic.

Thanks. Well observed on the Laburnum tree, and you are right, the flower is poisonous.
    The kids are well warned and the tree is outside the fenced area they play in. The road outside our house is lethal so they don't have free reign of that area.
    Good advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

After following everone elses I thought only fair to post up mine. House and garden are now around 4 years old and over the last year I finally moved on from "just grass".

Patio was the first step
    GardenLeft.jpg

Followed by veg patch and 3 birches (on the left here)
    GardenRight.jpg

Left to right - Broccolli and sprouts, garlic and onions, spuds (earlies) broad beans and mangetout, courgettes. Just waiting for all of it to produce!
    VegPatch.jpg

Some herb shrubs here:
    Herbs.jpg

Mini greenhouse is bulging mostly with a mix of tomato plants (some to the right too)
    BackWall.jpg

Last but not least, put this together with some timber to house a mix of strawberry plants:
    Strawberries.jpg

My picnic bench is missing from the patio (loaned out for the day) but I'd recommend building one. Great way to get a good sized bench for reasonable cost. Its now about 6 years old and looked after it is holding up great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well done James, very good and productive use of every inch of space.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Lovely photos James.

It that a wooden frame that you've got the strawberry tubs sitting in? I'm going to copy that and get my husband to do the same with ours.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

deisemum wrote: »
    Lovely photos James.

It that a wooden frame that you've got the strawberry tubs sitting in? I'm going to copy that and get my husband to do the same with ours.;)

Thanks.

Yep. I just used a length of 6x1 inch (or 7x1) rough timber for the back, base and sides with some beeding on the front and at top to hold the net. Made some hooks from a length of metal strip so that it can be lifted on and off the fence. Will post a clearer pic when I get a chance but its fairly straight forward.

Its also handy for holding a mixture of small spots.

I just added the net after the birds got to every single strawberry last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is it?

unknownshrubflowerthing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hard to tell with no flowers. Crocosmia maybe?

Its sprouts orange in the late summer/early autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

mike65 wrote: »
    Its sprouts orange in the late summer/early autumn.

its a crocosmia then.

• Advertisement

Cheers, a google confirms you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

1st time in the gardening forum. So jealous.... Quality pics/work lads ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Perfect - Thanks for this. I had this in a previous garden and was such an easy plant that looked well all year round.

Dies off very late in the winter but the new growth comes back very quick. The flowers are a very striking colour against the foliage.

Grows well. To divide, just need to dig up and split.

Off to find me some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A popular version of it is 'Red Lucifer' and as the name might indicate it can be a little bit of a devil spreading around the garden. An absolute guaranteed long and very colourful performance, the bees love it, but do keep an eye out just in case it pops up somewhere you do want it/did not expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Would love to see this thread become a bit more active. I get great ideas from photos on the various allotment blogs/sites etc :)

Heres one from me - first few 1st earlies dug yesterday. Sharpes Express planted 18th March. First time planting this variety as I usually used Maris Piper but thought I would try these for a change.

Spuds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

prospect wrote: »
    By 'safe' I mean, no risky planting, lots of evergreen, no annuals.

This is the planted area from above, pity I didn't photograph this a few weeks when there was lots of colour
    1ff5fb67.jpg

Well done, power of work done there. Looks brilliant. Could you give us a rough idea of what you have planted in this bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am presuming you mean the bed on the left.

This bed was spec'd and planted by a landscaper, off the top of my head it has:

Willow, Poplar, Wild Crab Apple, Birch, Holly, Laurel, Dogwood, Mespilis, forsythia, mountain ash and scots pine.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

prospect wrote: »
    I am presuming you mean the bed on the left.

This bed was spec'd and planted by a landscaper, off the top of my head it has:

Willow, Poplar, Wild Crab Apple, Birch, Holly, Laurel, Dogwood, Mespilis, forsythia, mountain ash and scots pine.

HTH.

Thanks.
    Thats what I'm hoping mine will look like eventually. I have planted over 500 bareroot Alders, Willow, Birch, mountain ash, Dogwood etc over two years ago, but keeping the grass down is a full time job.
    My birch are doing nothing, 2 years down, and still look miserable, only a few leaves on some, and I've lost a load over the two years. Assume my soil is just unsuitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

emo72 wrote: »
    its a crocosmia then.

Common name Montbretia. It is an invasive species across many places in Ireland especially along the western seaboard. I have quite a bit of it in my garden mainly for its vibrant lush foliage. It can be divided easily and transplanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

few pics i took yesterday. Lots of varieties of toms, some are fruiting at the moment. Some small plants, some large, chillies, habanero, jalapeño, squash, courgette and herbs

5f0e8faa.jpg

2f11db2f.jpg

c9f4ac30.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

so, was picking this lot last night, lovely selection of tomatos, black cherry, ildi, cherry and f1 and some squash too. thats a first. and this eh...courgette? or is a marrow? is a monster anyway, had to put a kneeler in so a perspective could be seen!! its huge :eek:

2011-09-08201600.jpg

and this one of some fish my dad is keeping in a bath in his garden... :rolleyes:

not a bother on them really, love the morning feed

2011-09-06090656.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jaysus wreckless that looks like it's on steroids :D

Advertisement